The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I'm 72, driving wife's Motability car ( she drives it 4 times a year maybe). Done 5,000 miles in the last 2 years, which is nothing by my standards.

I also have my own 75 on classic 3,000 mile cover, and drive the tranny a bit.

Not got to the bumping stage yet, but hope I'll realise and stop driving.

Could do away with Motability car, but 75's insurance would go through the roof and it would FTP the next day.

Much the same as my now dearly departed grandfather - loved his independence and prided (is that a word?) himself on being a good, contentious driver.

Once we added up how much it was costing him to run the car, insurance, tax, repairs, depreciation etc vs his under 1000 miles a year, and worked out how much it would cost for him to just call the local taxi firm every time he needed the trip into town - it was a no brainer.

Sadly we're having the same battle with my other grandfather now who gets a brand new car every 2/3 years and chops in the old one at a massive loss. He keeps switching between diesel and petrol too so pumping out a tank full of the wrong fuel is a regular occurrence. He does probably 500 miles a year and take a HUGE loss on every car he chops in but refuses to convert to taking taxis. 

My parents are always on at him to knock the driving on the head and move to taxis. On the one hand I'm with them as he does seem to be clipping his garage wall or car park curb every other month, but sometimes he fancies buying a chippy tea and heading up to where we scattered my Nan's ashes and having a meal and chat with her by himself for an hour of an evening and at that point do the dentmaster costs really matter? 

I've been in the car with him on the move and he's a very good driver, just seemingly on the slow maneuvers he forgets where the front/arse of the car are and gets way too close to a wall. If he gave someone else' car a love tap he'd be the first to own up, but you just hope that it doesn't happen.

As you say of your own, I don’t think he’s a bad driver, but fear his reactions aren’t what they were. And his luck won’t last forever. As far as I know his last actual crash was in 1960 when his v8 ford was hit by a motorbike.

It’s not easy bringing up the topic though, even though he’s already said this will be his last car. Hence the grump i suppose.

Up in Edinburgh just now for the week. Since my dad died in November, all of the things he used to do have mounted up, so I have a 'list'! Got 4 done yesterday, so one of today's was fit a new toilet seat in the bathroom upstairs. Should only involve a 13mm spanner to remove the old one. The tools that were actually involved were 2spanners, vice grips, 2 screwdrivers, pair of pliers, wd40, junior hacksaw and an angle grinder! Took 2 hours. FFS, I can do a Megane cambelt in less time. On the plus side, the new one I got from toolstation is all fitted from above, and took about 5 mins to fit. What my mum didn't tell the family was that she broke a rib when the last seat snapped and she fell off onto the bath. She didn't want to worry anyone! She was 80 last month!

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-A01W using Tapatalk

Banks are a massive pain in the arse. Looking into the feasibility of a mortgage so applied for an agreement in principle from one of the biggest mortgage providers that may be part of the same group I’m currently on contract to

Thought it weird when it didn’t ask for figures for income and then, obviously, declined based upon affordability

Rang them and got “oh, if you’re a self employed consultant you need to have been doing it for more than 12 months”..... why doesn’t the tool say that and stop me from submitting it????

Going to see if I can find the development team and moan at them today :D

Banks are a massive pain in the arse. Looking into the feasibility of a mortgage so applied for an agreement in principle from one of the biggest mortgage providers that may be part of the same group I’m currently on contract to

Thought it weird when it didn’t ask for figures for income and then, obviously, declined based upon affordability

Rang them and got “oh, if you’re a self employed consultant you need to have been doing it for more than 12 months”..... why doesn’t the tool say that and stop me from submitting it????

They won't give a flying shit - and nothing will change.

Search out a guy called 'Sarnie' on Pistonheads.  He's an independent mortgage broker - and very, very good at it.  You will find lots of praise for him on PH - as he's helped many 'powerfully built directors' turn their SA302s into Mortgage offers.

I'd also get a second opinion from London and Country.  

I know I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but don't be tempted to f**k about with other avenues.  You'll get no preferential treatment from existing lenders, so get back to the whole of the market.  Good luck!

I must be having a mid life crisis. I fancy something spicier ,faster and comfier than my jap bus. Want a petrol one.but really need 7 seats and the choice is so miserable. But I know if I get a Volvo t5 estate then I will need the seven seats. Can't really do a second car cos insurance want my soul or a kidney for cover. I shall go back to daydreaming. Moan over.

S-Max with the T5 engine?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201710310824122?atmobcid=soc3

Bugger, you would think that if there is only 1 car parked in the street that a ute driver going backwards down the street would be able to miss it (" I'm sorry, I didn't see it"). not the end of the world, at worst a replacement bumper.

attachicon.gifcrash1 002.JPG

Loving the insurance here. I have not yet done anything about this, but got a call this evening from the other party's ins co. They have accepted his part and liability has been settled. Gave me the claim no. And the direct ph no.for the lady who called me who is handling it. Just give them to my co. And all is done. Whatever happens next is not my problem, at worst if they write off I receive the agreed valuation and no excess is charged. I can't see that happening though.

You cannot do an agreement in principle without knowing the income, debts and outgoings of someone.

You cannot do an agreement in principle without knowing the income, debts and outgoings of someone.

Yeah no shit - if they’re not willing to accept less than a year’s worth of proof of income they shouldn’t accept the application at all and it should show some kind of data validation error, not just blindly submit with effectively 0 income.

Spoke to a broker earlier, same lender WILL consider contractors with less than 12 months under their belt as long as the application is submitted the right way. Looking far more hopeful.

Don't punch inanimate objects man. Done that to an old bridge in Birmingham once about 25 years ago and my golf ball knuckle has reminded me of it ever since... every winter... without fail. Not only that but the bird it was over at the time has turned into a fat old munter, totally loaded but totally not aesthetically pleasing. Hope life works out fella, you're not alone.

A bit... yes. Got to admit that the last few months I've considered outing it more times than I have ever done before but then I've been here before with other shite as well, and got over it. It's reassuring to read that others can't be arsed at the moment because *weather. Every time it rains there is more water in the thing than before and it's just sat on it's arse doing nothing. Well fuck that, tonight I'm going to do something constructive to it. That's right folks, on a school day I am going to pay some attention to a car I don't need.. Need to buy black paint on the way home... don't know if I can be arsed to stop at a shop...(more dots....)

The randomisation software in between the sales section and warehouse picking section of online suppliers. WTAF?

I know we joke about it a lot to the point its becoming a meme here - I just cant understand how it goes so wrong.

orders 2 oil filters for the pickup

Time passes

postie arrives.

Uh, thats hella big box for two oil filters....

attachicon.gifIMG_20180215_114752.jpg

Thats because it contains one oil filter and one window regulator for a Passat.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180215_162638.jpg

:roll:

I just cant even right now

I had this about 15 years ago where I ordered a load of stuff from Screwfix, there should have been two large sink strainer waste but one was missing, in its place was a £35 workshop hoover! I said nothing and it is still in use :)

Some of you may know I'm after 944 bits at the mo.

Phoned Porsche Centre, Nottingham where I came across a complete dickhead salesman who couldn't be bothered to put me through to parts and who kept claiming he didn't know what a schematic diagram was.

I phoned back a couple of minutes later, made a point of criticising the treatment I'd just had from Darrell and was put through immediately.

Give Darrell a ring, ask him something tricky...

Some of you may know I'm after 944 bits at the mo.

Phoned Porsche Centre, Nottingham where I came across a complete dickhead salesman who couldn't be bothered to put me through to parts and who kept claiming he didn't know what a schematic diagram was.

I phoned back a couple of minutes later, made a point of criticising the treatment I'd just had from Darrell and was put through immediately.

Give Darrell a ring, ask him something tricky...

Sounds like a grade a ballbag

NT council have informed me that my 'free' <Oi, fuck off m8 I live here> resident parking sticker is now being streamlined to ANPR based scanners, in the hands of the ParkingPlodz.

Ah Haaa... BUT... I must pay £50 a year - to park [hopefully] outside my own house :(

F...FFF...SSSS

WW will be slapped at his local, too!

TS