The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Fog lights are not dazzling, the light they produce is aimed at the ground usually, get over it.

You don't find them dazzling but everyone is different. Some people do find them falling dazzling and I happen to be one of them.

Its illegal to use them in normal visibility for a reason..

EDIT: Corrected auto predict spelling mistake.

Rear fog lights on when they shouldn’t be are dangerous, it makes it harder for your average fucktard to tell the when the car in front is braking, and whilst a pile up of the idiot light abuser and tailgater appears funny at first, it’s us poor bastards who end up sat in the queue whilst the debris is swept from the carriageway. And don’t get me started on the dickheads who think they look cool by having 97 separate light on the front on the car all on at once in the middle of a summers day.

It’s just another symptom of the clueless detached driver syndrome that seems to affect an ever increasing proportion of drivers these days.

Nurse gave me diazipam for my sore back. Said it would make me sleep. It hasn't. It has eased off the muscle a bit but I'd really really like to go to sleep :-(

Its costing me a fortune in prescriptions that so far seem to have done sod all. I've tried to stay off it but when the medicines have worn off later I'll just drink quite a bit and hopefully sleep then.

Nurse gave me diazipam for my sore back. Said it would make me sleep. It hasn't. It has eased off the muscle a bit but I'd really really like to go to sleep :-(

Its costing me a fortune in prescriptions that so far seem to have done sod all. I've tried to stay off it but when the medicines have worn off later I'll just drink quite a bit and hopefully sleep then.

Do you know about this?

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/help-nhs-prescription-costs/prescription-prepayment-certificates

If you've still got the receipts I believe you can retrospectively claim. Most pharmacy's should know the ins and outs of the scheme.

Or olive oil?

Best thing for it, I usually do it for a week then I have a big plastic syringe with a piece of tube on the end (a spare bit from a brake bleeding kit) and I fill it will very warm water from the sink and then syringe my own ears as the doctors won’t do it anymore. Just take it very gently and it works well. If it doesn’t clear go back to the olive oil for a few days and repeat. I have also used a washing up liquid bottle with a tube attached in the past.

Get pharmacy receipts for the prescriptions and you can claim them back if you buy a 3 month pass.

Everything.

I fucking hate this time of year at the best of times, trying to keep everybody happy, shit on the telly, and stressing about money and how much everyone needs this that and the other.

This year is worse.

My father - in- law died two weeks ago; not entirely unexpected, he'd been suffering with Parkinsons and Alzheimers for a while, but true to form, he took a turn for the worse while we were away, causing a 30 minute stop in Rolleston, then a drive home again, then Mrs_Outlaw spending as much time as possible with him. I'm afraid to say I didn't go down there; I'm a big useless wuss, and couldn't handle the care home vibe when he was still OKish, and frankly the idea of sitting there and watching him die freaked me out. 

We were supposed to be going to Budapest for a couple of days, that got cancelled. Fortunately I took out the insurance as my pancreatitis flared up again in October, but now the insurance company are bombarding me with forms and shizz - 3rd lot of nigh on identical ones posted yesterday, so I reckon they're going to wriggle out of the claim on some sort of technicality. £450 up my shirt.

I've also broken a bone in my foot - i did it at work about ten days ago, and it still bloody hurts. Work rented me a Hyundai Tuscon Automatic, and Employee Relations bird told me to work from home for half a day, then ONLY if I felt ok, to go out - so that's not the grump.

The grump is a) the constant pain, and B) You don't realise until something hurts, how often you knock it, how heavy the duvet is, how heavy the clutch is in the car. I've got leave until 2/1/18 so the rental car's gone back - i wasn't allowed personal mileage anyway - so I'm pretty much stuck in the house.

Just told relatives that we're not leaving the house and got the emotional blackmail thing. Makes me more determined to do fuck all tbh, lived in this house for nigh on 19 years, and not had a Christmas yet where we do what we want. This is the year, fuck it.

Everything.

I fucking hate this time of year at the best of times, trying to keep everybody happy, shit on the telly, and stressing about money and how much everyone needs this that and the other.

This year is worse.

My father - in- law died two weeks ago; not entirely unexpected, he'd been suffering with Parkinsons and Alzheimers for a while, but true to form, he took a turn for the worse while we were away, causing a 30 minute stop in Rolleston, then a drive home again, then Mrs_Outlaw spending as much time as possible with him. I'm afraid to say I didn't go down there; I'm a big useless wuss, and couldn't handle the care home vibe when he was still OKish, and frankly the idea of sitting there and watching him die freaked me out. 

We were supposed to be going to Budapest for a couple of days, that got cancelled. Fortunately I took out the insurance as my pancreatitis flared up again in October, but now the insurance company are bombarding me with forms and shizz - 3rd lot of nigh on identical ones posted yesterday, so I reckon they're going to wriggle out of the claim on some sort of technicality. £450 up my shirt.

I've also broken a bone in my foot - i did it at work about ten days ago, and it still bloody hurts. Work rented me a Hyundai Tuscon Automatic, and Employee Relations bird told me to work from home for half a day, then ONLY if I felt ok, to go out - so that's not the grump.

The grump is a) the constant pain, and B) You don't realise until something hurts, how often you knock it, how heavy the duvet is, how heavy the clutch is in the car. I've got leave until 2/1/18 so the rental car's gone back - i wasn't allowed personal mileage anyway - so I'm pretty much stuck in the house.

Just told relatives that we're not leaving the house and got the emotional blackmail thing. Makes me more determined to do fuck all tbh, lived in this house for nigh on 19 years, and not had a Christmas yet where we do what we want. This is the year, fuck it.

sorry can't leave the house "doctor's orders"- i work with about eleventy different doctors and i'm telling you to stay in- that's close enough isn't it?

Ill probably get burned for this but i tended to use front fogs during daylight hours as daytime lights. Spending time on bikes then in cars and still have folk pull out or cut me up i think it adds a bit of visibility during daylight hours. If adjust right and low they also come in handy on country lanes at night. More dangerous are the cheap ebay led headlamps and piss poor adjusted hid headlights at night time

Do you know about this?

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/help-nhs-prescription-costs/prescription-prepayment-certificates

If you've still got the receipts I believe you can retrospectively claim. Most pharmacy's should know the ins and outs of the scheme.

No I didn't k own about this thanks. Don't think I have my recipes though and Tbh I really hope I don't need anymore medicine for the next 3 month!

Bad luck, ill health and bereavement do not respect Christmas unfortunately.    Commiserations to you and yours and I hope 2018 brightens up for you.

Its the last bit that's avoidable though, and something I readily identify with.   The lack of choice has pretty much destroyed Christmas Day for me.   People CAN respect Christmas and what it might mean to others - they very often choose not to.   

So it's illegal to have front fogs on in normal conditions but it's fine to have one on going round corners. Someone about five years ago thought that was a good idea and now every one else has to have it just because.

And as mentioned above, people driving around in twighlight with their drl's on. They are far worse than any fog light.

I was astonished, I flashed someone on the motorway today to tell them they'd still got their foglamp on in bright sunlight, and they turned it off. Amazing.

Sadly the plank in a hire van today, in pitch dark on the M1, who hadn't stowed the tail lift correctly had zero rear visibility because the lights were behind the tail lift. I think that also means the lift was in danger of just dropping to the horizontal position because it wasn't locked in.

So it's illegal to have front fogs on in normal conditions but it's fine to have one on going round corners. Someone about five years ago thought that was a good idea and now every one else has to have it just because.

And as mentioned above, people driving around in twighlight with their drl's on. They are far worse than any fog light.

1e653f477f35126c69271d37bb8345a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I'm going to take issue with that.

That's a "cornering light."  Huggy has them.  Use the indicators when you have your headlights on and the appropriate cornering light comes on, at a relatively sensible level, pointing to the side you are turning to, to light up hazards like kerbs or frightened kittens.  That's no relation whatsoever to the blazing forward-facing searchlights that cars have now.  I've never yet found a way to have my cornering lights on without using my indicators, which effectively commits me to make the turn; certainly not both at once and they never face forward!

[/Lecture]

You want to try riding a bike. I always use bike paths etc but the dazzle from the opposite direction means you have to stop sometimes.

On the opposite end of the scale what's the deal with these blooming cyclists with a lamp or lamps on the front of the bicycle 25000 times brighter than the sun aimed incorrectly just so they blind drivers and to top it they set them on flash mode

I wish there was a thread in the main section where I could have a moan

No, I'm going to take issue with that.

That's a "cornering light."  Huggy has them.  Use the indicators when you have your headlights on and the appropriate cornering light comes on, at a relatively sensible level, pointing to the side you are turning to, to light up hazards like kerbs or frightened kittens.  That's no relation whatsoever to the blazing forward-facing searchlights that cars have now.  I've never yet found a way to have my cornering lights on without using my indicators, which effectively commits me to make the turn; certainly not both at once and they never face forward!

[/Lecture]

You sir are excepted. I just feel these modern ones are a fashion statement (My car is higher spec than yours). It's not like they use a different light or they swivel or owt, it's just a front fog light which I'm not allowed to have on in my car (not that I would anyway). I can't imagine they make much difference with modern headlights anyway.

Yoss, I agree with you.  And thank you for the exemption!  It wasn't what I came for but never mind... I just didn't want what I see as a genuine valid safety feature (cornering lights) becoming associated with the tool of the brain donor (front fogs).  One of my cars has front fogs (the Blob); two (Blob and Giffer) and my work van have rears.  I hardly ever use them, because even at night, visibility is rarely impaired enough to justify it.  Or at least that was the case until people started fitting these high-powered bulbs, then DRLs, and all without even trying to see they were properly aimed.

And there is the key phrase.