The grumpy thread

outlaw118

What pearls of wisdom have you come across?

Had this one today from guy with an imprezza

" why can't you tow my imprezza by lifting the front wheels?"

"Because it can damage the gbox on some 4wds if one end isn't turning by being lifted"

"But this is all wheel drive not four wheel drive"

& we share the roads with these people!

Went to look at a 1986 Sierra estate in 1992 and was surprised to see that the odometer read 217.000 miles despite having "one careful owner"

Aforementioned vehicle was shown to me by none other than the fully trained mechanic Brother in law of said, unavailable one careful owner who explained to me VERY SLOWLY  that the speedometer over read by 50% for the first five years of this lovely car's early existence  until they had it fixed so the 'ahem' true mileage was less than 60k

Car had been a local Private hire from 6 months old, sold for next to nothing to a wannabe back street trader who didn't even know how to turn the clocks back for Autumn.

So this thread has now turned into an argument about guns and some political icing on top?

Well that'll go down well....

Can't we get back to normal grumps like it's been windy as chuff today or something equally as grumpy?

Sick of people either falling out, sucking up way too much or just being general twats on here lately. Fuck me now I'm starting sound like Mr bollocks

Have you cleared the browser cache then run through the quote process again?

I did clear the cache/cookies at some point prior to getting the bigger quote. All things considered, I reckon the Flux policy was probably the right one anyhow for several reasons, I just hope I never have to make a claim on it.

Being stupid enough to say yes to out of hours work to sort a SAN, ESX host AND Wireless controller. I've been back in the office since 1:15am, won't leave till gone 9am & I only finished monday's shift at 2:30pm.

The only bright side is the PC speakers I rescued from the scrap tin ages ago play AC/DC loud enough to make my desk shake so I might stay awake...

While I had a minute I thought I would phone Adrian flux, out of curiosity . Get a price for the corolla in case it doesn't sell and I use it through winter. So it's a 1.3 auto and a 1994 worth circa £500. For a classic policy for me age 53 with 15 yrs no claims bonus, 2000 miles a year, no business use and TPFT. It was only £1,150.feck me when did a old jap car turn into some very rare ferrari or something. Well it looks like less money for me to waste on drugs and stuff.

What pearls of wisdom have you come across?

Had this one today from guy with an imprezza

" why can't you tow my imprezza by lifting the front wheels?"

"Because it can damage the gbox on some 4wds if one end isn't turning by being lifted"

"But this is all wheel drive not four wheel drive"

& we share the roads with these people!

You ought to have said go on then we'll do it your way.

My driving instructor, good though he was, said I would get a minor if I didnt depress the handle on the handbrake when applying it as this caused "very slight wear and tear on the ratchet" and showed "lack of mechanical sympathy".

I thought about being facetious and coasting to the side of the road and turning the engine off as having it switched on caused very slight wear and tear to every single part of the engine. Wanting to get on the road stopped me acting like that though, I just inwardly rolled my eyes and got on with it.

My driving instructor told me that 'engine braking was bad and wore the gearbox out, you should sit on the brakes down a hill as brake pads were cheap' Fuck off Ken.

That seems to be a new way of thinking in the training of driving instructors, a few of the lads at work have had lessons and been told not to use engine braking. The reason though is usually that it doesn't illuminate the brake lights so can be dangerous. Still bollocks.

My driving instructor, good though he was, said I would get a minor if I didnt depress the handle on the handbrake when applying it as this caused "very slight wear and tear on the ratchet" and showed "lack of mechanical sympathy".

I thought about being facetious and coasting to the side of the road and turning the engine off as having it switched on caused very slight wear and tear to every single part of the engine. Wanting to get on the road stopped me acting like that though, I just inwardly rolled my eyes and got on with it.

My driving instructor told me the same thing, which suits me fine as I hate the noise of the handbrake ratchet, I still use the button to this day.

Has anyone ever had to replace a handbrake ratchet?

Engine braking is vitally important, try using the brakes alone to stop in the ice or snow, especially the over-servoed units we have today.

Aye. Had to deal with this 'brakes to slow, gears to go' bullshit when I was a MiDAS instructor. Utter crap, which I can now completely ignore.

Once pulled up at a petrol station in the 2CV. A small, rural one and I was on full lock to get next to the pump. When you do that in a 2CV, the wheel leans. Chap in a Land Rover told me I needed to get my wheel bearings replaced...