The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Yeah adverts are stupid (why stop a program to sell you shit) but in your best Yorkshire accent 'how much?' for talking to a camera?

True, but the world has a very odd idea that paying people to entertain ( tv, footballers etc) is better than paying people to heal the sick, care for the elderly or teach the young, or an number of other more important things.

Dream car has popped up for sale. Unfortunately way more than I can afford now, and for a few months too.

I'm secretly hoping someone on here will be selling an old Italian thing or old French barge (bit disappointed didn't win the Safrane) soonish...

So, left work at 8,drove at 30 in a 30 and a car pulled out ahead of me in the 30,100 yards later it becomes a 60,i want to do 45ish but car in front is doing 20odd,im closeish and in a low gear as I expect him to speed up but he stays mid 20's and gives me a hand gesture the road has a wider part where I indicate and overtake,I accelerate to 45-50 for the next mile (I'm in a 60 year old car) this twat is on my bumper tailgating me,i stop and get out and he slams his car in reverse and shoots back at speed without looking. I get in car and continue and he is behind me, at the junction I get out again he reverses and tries to run me over, I grab at passenger window and recognise the passenger who is a local farmer that's on a drink drive ban and a pot head, he and driver are pissed, I loudly shout "you're drunk" and run around to confront him where he tries to run me over again. I got his reg and reported it to Suffolk constabulary and they said they would put a "marker" on his registration number. Should be interesting if I see him again

Two utter wankers on the commute today.  This morning, old twat in a Mokka refused to give way at a roundabout, then got all angry and shouty when I shook my head at him.  I made a gesture which suggested that his love life might be somewhat solitary, and he did that stopping-dead-in-the-middle-of-the-roundabout thing that people do when they're pretending they're going to come after you.  Why?  Why can't people just admit when they've done something wrong?  Everyone makes mistakes on the road, fuck knows I make enough of them - an apologetic wave of the hand and that is normally the end of it.  What is the point in getting all angry and self-righteous and making yourself look even more of a cunt?

Then on the way home, following a 15-plate Leon FR doing just under the speed limit.  Come up behind a tractor & trailer (Massey Ferguson so sloooow), sit there for a while as windy bit of road.  We get to a short straight, Leon pulls out and dawdles past the tractor without a care in the world - bearing in mind there's another 4 cars behind which all want to get past the tractor before the straight runs out.  Leon pulls back in and I floor it to get past him as well, at which point he takes offence and floors it as well.  By the time I managed to get past him we were doing 90 - bearing in mind he'd been doing 56 for all the time I'd been following him up to then - and we were rapidly coming up to a blind bend.  The thing that annoys me about people like that (and it's usually modern VAG drivers - fast SEATs seem to be the worst if anything, don't know if it's because they have a chip on their shoulder that they couldn't quite afford an A3) is that had I been in a modern German motor he wouldn't have batted an eyelid about being overtaken, but somehow being passed by a 15-year-old diesel Rover was an affront to his manhood, and he felt the need to put us both in danger to try and prevent it happening.  Yes, I realise I could have backed off and pulled back in behind him, but I'm far too immature for that.

Come to realise that a small minority of tossers on the road has turned into a slightly bigger minority of tossers since my return to motoring after an 18 year hiatus.

I do a lovely little 6 mile commute in the Streetshite every day - the one in is a breeze because I don't start work until 12.30, so a mixture of 30/40/50/30 roads all the way in, virtually all dual carriageways or dual lane urban roads, roundabouts, traffic lights, hills, moderate traffic - proper urban driving.The Streety loves the 50 bit best as I can give it the beans* on an almost empty dual carriageway for a mile of the way and the little 1.4 engine positively roars.

The commute back is absolutely terrifying at 6pm. It's like a bloody high-speed slalom, so much lane swapping, cars turning right from the outside lane causing numpties to dive in to the left hand lane in front of you with nary a flick of the indicator. It's how I imagine driving in central London used to be 18 years ago.

I've always been a considerate driver, and still am (much to the pissed-off ness of my fellow motorists), letting cars out, leaving gaps at junctions, letting pedestrians cross when I'm at the front of the lane and the other lane is free (only in a 30 zone of course), totally relaxed driving style on approach to lights and roundies (engine braking not foot pedal wherever poss) and then roaring* past all the twats who couldn't wait five seconds.

It's lovely when it's reciprocated - I'm in outside lane turning right (big line of traffic behind as lorry cannot get around me), car also coming out of the junctionI want to get into turning left but I need him gone to get into the road, blokey coming other way in outside lane (inside lane empty) flashes me and the other driver - all looking good.

But then the stupid idiot behind him pulls in to the empty inside lane, increases their speed and nearly causes a three way 'incident'. Luckily the two competent drivers were able to adjust accordingly, preventing said collision. Cue me rolling my eyes at the friendly driver, him shrugging his shoulders, both grinning, friendly wave and away we all went, tutting. 

I think it's gonna take me a while longer to get used to driving in the year 2017. Mind you I was hoping we'd all be in hover cars by now without needing roads....

The commute back is absolutely terrifying at 6pm. It's like a bloody high-speed slalom, so much lane swapping, cars turning right from the outside lane causing numpties to dive in to the left hand lane in front of you with nary a flick of the indicator. It's how I imagine driving in central London used to be 18 years ago.

I've been very lucky over the last few years to be able to choose what time of day I travel - and I quickly learnt that rush hour* is unpleasant and dangerous. Nothing seems to make driving standards drop like putting a big dollop of tired, possibly hungry people at the same time, on the same roads that they've travelled a hundred times before, with work at one end of them and home at the other. All of a sudden, getting there as quickly as possible, irrespective of the risks attached, is the only goal. It's deadly and corrosive to the soul - I know this from when I used to have to do it.

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

To be fair, it's only Chris Evans and Garry linekar who stand out as seriously overpaid compared to the rest.

Newsreaders are well overpaid; there's any number of 'resting' actors who could read from an autocue without swearing, spoonerising the Prime Minister's name or shitting themselves when the director yells in their ear, and would look presentable enough on TV with a bit of slap. There's a bit of justification for the ones who are genuinely journalists, but even then the numbers are still eyewatering. While I'm moaning they should stop fucking interviewing each other, it's wank; anchor hands over to reporter, who reports to camera, hand over back to anchor. No need for a cosy chat with your colleague who you probably had lunch with anyway.

Newsreaders are well overpaid; there's any number of 'resting' actors who could read from an autocue without swearing, spoonerising the Prime Minister's name or shitting themselves when the director yells in their ear, and would look presentable enough on TV with a bit of slap. There's a bit of justification for the ones who are genuinely journalists, but even then the numbers are still eyewatering. While I'm moaning they should stop fucking interviewing each other, it's wank; anchor hands over to reporter, who reports to camera, hand over back to anchor. No need for a cosy chat with your colleague who you probably had lunch with anyway.

You are Charlton Brooker AICMFP.

[VIDEO]

Much hilarity* last night as I waited at a small mini-rbt... the sort that are plonked where an old T would have been.

matey#1 in big Vx pootles around the OUTSIDE turning right, across my line, whilst matey#2 drives down the crown of the road... and carries straight over!

I'm sure both cars could 'smell' the paint of the other..... there wasn't a fag paper in it.

Total Walloons  :shock:

TS

The thing that annoys me about people like that (and it's usually modern VAG drivers - fast SEATs seem to be the worst if anything, don't know if it's because they have a chip on their shoulder that they couldn't quite afford an A3)

Skoda drivers are much worse, especially drivers of the big ones - looked what I saved over an Audi! Yes but it's not an Audi and if you sack your "look at me gene" who* wants one anyway?

I rarely have to go out at peak times these days but on Monday I caught the tail of the rush hour. Driver of a Superb (stupid name) started to pull out in front of me but had to jam on the anchors and then seemed to blame me for his incompetence. Sat millimetres from my back bumper through about five miles of speed limits getting visibly more and more irate because I STICK TO LIMITS.

You'll have a heart attack old chap.......

We got to where I turn off right, I moved into the filter lane and he follows. I did wonder if this was going to turn into an altercation but realised he intended to use the right turn filter lane to get past the queue of maybe six cars on the left. Filter arrow came on, I went right, he tried to go straight on and had to slam on the anchors again as a bus came from from his right.

I'm pretty sure that set of lights has a camera too.

*both Mrs BN and I have spent far too much money on Audis over the years. One was excellent (1999 petrol A6). My A4s were pretty mediocre and my Cabriolet leaked like a seive. Company TT was enertaining but unreliable. We're better now.

I must admit I've been driving my Skoda like an absolute bastard recently. I blame hot weather, my wife's cheesy quaver CDs and empty back lanes.

Wuvvum's right on the nail with the apologetic wave of the hand comment. If someone cuts you up, you beep and they apologise, then that should be it, ditto vice versa. It's the ones who want to carry it on after you've apologised that get me. I knocked a kid off a pushbike years ago now, he was in my blind spot and I opened the door on him by mistake. Entirely my fault, he wasn't hurt and I couldn't apologise enough, but his dad just went on and on and on and on and on about it. In the end I stopped being sorry and swore repeatedly, which wasn't big or clever, but had the desired result.

Our lass is a right stinker for not being able to accept an apology, I upset her the other month with something or other, she got in a huff and I apologised because I'd genuinely not been very thoughtful.

Then it'll begin:

"Dave you've got to understand that xxxx xxxx xxxxxxxxxxx" Yes, Sorry love I know I fucked up, I won't do it again. "It really upset me, you should really think more about xxxxxxxxxxxx"

She'll then repeat for 20 minutes until I'm not sorry anymore and am absolutely sick to death of hearing about it and lose my temper with her.

huh. Turns out that the guard on a big 230mm angle grinder IS actually there for a reason and shouldnt be removed.

post-17837-0-36552600-1500572348_thumb.jpg

I didnt want to post the full close-up photo but its chopped out quite a neat and surprisingly deep groove. Didnt even hurt either...just felt hot. Almost no bleeding too, it seems to have been cauterised by the disc.

"Dave you've got to understand that xxxx xxxx xxxxxxxxxxx" Yes, Sorry love I know I fucked up, I won't do it again. "It really upset me, you should really think more about xxxxxxxxxxxx"

She'll then repeat for 20 minutes until I'm not sorry anymore and am absolutely sick to death of hearing about it and lose my temper with her.

^^ TADTS..  :roll:

huh. Turns out that the guard on a big 230mm angle grinder IS actually there for a reason and shouldnt be removed.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170703_142601.jpg

I didnt want to post the full close-up photo but its chopped out quite a neat and surprisingly deep groove. Didnt even hurt either...just felt hot. Almost no bleeding too, it seems to have been cauterised by the disc.

Lucky it stopped at that.

I had one bounce, guard hit my lip and nose. Made a mess, but without guard..........