The grumpy thread

outlaw118

modernz motors. I has a Voxall astra estate as my modern company motor and it has these awful automatic headlights. So the idea is that the lights will come on when dark. However its idea of dark and mine do not align.

I can be in bright sunshine in the early morning and the f***g thing thinks it's dark and has the lights on and there is no way of turning them off. This morning it was dull but still not dull enough for lights in my opinion. Guess what the car did. Yep headlamps on. Idiot of a car.

I'm not talking DRLs here as they are on if the h/lamps aren't

All modernz are shite....

modernz motors. I has a Voxall astra estate as my modern company motor and it has these awful automatic headlights. So the idea is that the lights will come on when dark. However its idea of dark and mine do not align.

I can be in bright sunshine in the early morning and the f***g thing thinks it's dark and has the lights on and there is no way of turning them off. This morning it was dull but still not dull enough for lights in my opinion. Guess what the car did. Yep headlamps on. Idiot of a car.

Whereas my gooners idea of auto headlights is to turn them on after the sun sets, or half an hour after I'd have turned them on manually!

Our last Honda Accord had automatic headlights. Generally ok, but rather too quick to react. Used to turn on then off going under motorway bridges which wasn't great as people thought I was flashing the lights at them!

Could be overridden though. Which they mostly were.

Guest Hooli

All that technology & the buggers still don't come with the wipers...

I don't know whats wrong with me these days but I'm getting very intolerant of other people when out on the road, i can't decide if I'm more aware of the bellends, whether the standards are just getting worse or whether I'm just becoming a grumpy old twat but i can't even drive to the supermarket without wanting to throttle somebody anymore.

I get that too, I honestly think standards are dropping. Things I'd have got stopped for when I passed my test are things I see marked plod cars doing now days.

Oh & why are most driving instructors so unable to drive?

I'm with both of you, standards have dropped right off. I've only been driving for 14 years but in that time road cops have all but disappeared.

It's the issue with 'no camera, no crime' policing. It pisses me off I can't do 80 round the m25 but followed a 7.5t truck that kept crossing the centreline yesterday for 6 miles. When I finally overtook it, the bloke was texting of course. The fact everything is done by camera means you only have to obey any rules at all if you are a mug like myself and have their vehicles properly registered. People also used to be pulled over for things like a brake light bulb being out, you had some incentive to keep a road worthy car.

The driving instructors bit, isn't that because it's gone from a decent profession to almost uberised? There is more money to be made training endless new driving instructors then fleecing them in franchise fees etc... than actually to be made by the instructors themselves. Driving lessons don't seem to have really gone up in price since I learnt, despite fuel being twice as much let alone insurance and tyres etc....

I think it's down to laziness, maybe it's because cars are too easy to drive now and people are so wrapped up in their little bubble, indicators and lane positioning is a particular bug bear of mine, no one bothers to indicate anymore instead they try and use Jedi mind control powers instead, forgetting that they don't exist and people don't know where the hell they are going until the last second when they swap lanes forcing you to slam on the brakes and piss you off.

All that technology & the buggers still don't come with the wipers...

On my 1-series, if the auto wipers leap into action 3 times in a minute then the lights come on, and go off if there's been a couple of minutes without a wipe.

Yet they're not affected by going under bridges. I very, very rarely have to turn them on manually (sometimes in really light mist that doesn't cause the wipers to fire up - but anything resembling fog they light up ok)

Reading some copy that insists that the Calibra, Probe and Corrado were 'hot hatches'. 

Er, no. They were coupes. Very minor first world grump which irritates me.  

People call Piazzas hot hatches - bollocks they were. Hot hatches were go -faster shopping trolleys which were effectively top of the range unless there were luxury variants; even then the most luxurious model (e.g Clio Baccara) wasn't the fastest. Coupes had bespoke bodywork even if the running gear (e.g. Golf / Scirocco) was basically the same. 

Went for a sandwich at our local community centre - it's run by volunteers, I am a believer in if you dont use it you lose it.

Came out after eating, mondeo parked next to us that was so close we would not get Charlie in his baby seat. The engine was running and the drivers window was down. I hoped the driver may move forward a little.

Not a chance - he knew we were struggling but carred on eating his fish and chips with his wife. My wife was muttering under her breath - she could'nt even open her door enough to get her handbag in.

I moved the car, got everyone in and turned the car around. I pulled up next to his window and put mine down. I told him next time I would bring a tin opener.

The world is full of oxygen theiving twats.

I hoped the driver may move forward a little.

Not a chance - he knew we were struggling but carred on eating his fish and chips with his wife. My wife was muttering under her breath - she could'nt even open her door enough to get her handbag in.

Did you actually ask him to move?

Oh yes, I'm not casting aspersions on the actual fillum.  I usually enjoy a Hollywood version of warfare, and might even enjoy this.  But... Dunkirk was a British operation entirely, America wasn't even in the war at that point, so why does the release date need to be announced in American?

U-571, part two.  No doubt the British Expeditionary Force will be saved from annihilation on the beaches by the timely intervention of the US Marine Corps, historical accuracy and suspension of disbelief notwithstanding.  I'll still go and see it, though.

Semper Fi, muddy funsters.

Just seen a trailer on telly for the new Dunkirk movie.  "In cinemas July 21."

Twenty-one.

AAARGH!

I think you mean July the twenty-first, not July four years from now!

Film.

Guest Hooli

On my 1-series, if the auto wipers leap into action 3 times in a minute then the lights come on, and go off if there's been a couple of minutes without a wipe.

Yet they're not affected by going under bridges. I very, very rarely have to turn them on manually (sometimes in really light mist that doesn't cause the wipers to fire up - but anything resembling fog they light up ok)

I didn't know any of them did. It'd be a lot more use in improving road safety if they all did rather than pointless DRLs.

Mum's Bini has auto wipers and auto xenon lights. The rain sensor is actually OK but the intermittent wipe is hidden somewhere daft. The auto lights don't really work and just turn on as soon as you press the stall regardless of conditions.

I'll forgive it though as you can turn the DRLs off in the settings menu :grin:

Guest Hooli

Just seen a Lidl advert on telly for school uniform with the 'back to school' crap all over it.

Bugger me they haven't even broken up yet and there they are shoving them back!

Good, annoying little buggers being out there enjoying life when I'm stuck at work.

Full time school might mean they don't all leave as useless thick idiots too.

U-571, part two.  No doubt the British Expeditionary Force will be saved from annihilation on the beaches by the timely intervention of the US Marine Corps, historical accuracy and suspension of disbelief notwithstanding.  I'll still go and see it, though.

Semper Fi, muddy funsters.

Except for the 51st Highland Division, who will no doubt be left again at St. Valery on Churchill's orders.