The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Stuff like Erbauer and Titan are basically Screwfix own brand - they're not going to last forever but come with a 1 or 2 year warranty and they really really don't give a shit about what's wrong with it if you need to swap it for a new one

Depends how often you do that kind of work I suppose - inconvenience of it shitting itself on you will outweigh the cost saving if you use it 5 days a week

Buy impact driver bits - not Milwalkee though they are a wierd mix of ph2 and pz2 and fit nothing.

Impact bits will shear rather than shatter throwing fragments everywhere

Lol all I use on site are ph and pz2s! They fit 8 and 10 headed screws (such as 8x 1&quarter self tappers). I buy those candy tubs where they have about 25 bits in them.

I don't really care for Makita and DeWalt; they're everywhere so I figure batteries are more likely to walk off site. I like Panasonic, though just because I like the look of them. They're also not cheap.

Sorry me being vague again, the 2 boxes of bits I bought although labelled as PZ2 weren't, they weren't PH2 either they were sort of an in between and fitted neither screw head type properly. I guess they might have been for a different market.

Panasonic tools are good, nice to use and powerful unfortunately I guess they don't sell the volume to compete with dewalt on price which last time I looked was comparable to Festool.

I ordered some new caliper carrier bolts from the local Suzuki place.  Ever since then I get them phoning me with their new car special deals - I am not sure £6 bolts = New car buyer. 

Interestingly they were having a sale and selling the cars at cost price to them recently .

Mrs BN changed her cellphone number last year to stop the local FIAT franchise from inundating her with crap.

Hopefully the number has now been reallocated to someone who works there.

I only ever gave my business cellphone number to these companies. Very easy to turn away the calls by saying the person they wanted no longer worked for the company.

Sorry me being vague again, the 2 boxes of bits I bought although labelled as PZ2 weren't, they weren't PH2 either they were sort of an in between and fitted neither screw head type properly. I guess they might have been for a different market.

Panasonic tools are good, nice to use and powerful unfortunately I guess they don't sell the volume to compete with dewalt on price which last time I looked was comparable to Festool.

Oh I see! Other thing about Panasonic is they don't have as wide a range as the more common manufacturers. I'm pretty sure they don't do a Multitool, for example.

Went to start the BX Estate today ready for its journey on Tuesday for mass servicing and MOT. Won't start. Just clicks.

Hope it's just the battery as I'll swap it from another one. Hopefully not the coil...

Oops. Missed this. Non-starting is very common on XUDs. Usually engine earth failure. I've resorted to making my own with a jump lead before now - gearbox to neg terminal. Once it's running, it'll be fine.

It can also be the ignition switch (I have to move the key around in an eccentric circular motion in the barrel to get the ZX to start) or the solenoid (the 205 XUD had a wire from the +ve terminal of the solenoid that could be sparked off of the battery to fully close the solenoid terminals).

The driver of the HGV that ran into the back of my mum a while back has now found a witness who says she rolled back (uphill!!!) into the front of the truck from 50cm away. This caused enough damage that her car needed jigging.

Obviously complete bollocks and it can be proved that way from all kinds of angles, but months later she's still in loads of pain and it's getting worse, the last thing she needs is someone trying to make her out to be a liar FFS.

Guest Hooli

Jap?

They have their own strange screws, hence every screw on a jap car/bike has chewed up heads when using normal tools on them.

I've just picked up the Titan 18V combi drill as it had pretty good reviews - it seems decent enough for £60 to my amateurish eye. If I'd had slightly more dosh, I'd have gone for an Erbauer - I've got one of their circular saws and it's flipping brilliant. No-one other than pro tradesmen buys Makita or DeWalt anyway (do they?)

I was referring to the 10.8v titan set which has a battery life of exactly 1/3 of the length of whichever screw your trying to insert/extract. Anything 18v will be ok for banging deck screws in.

The low end of makita/de walt isn't that much more expensive and it tends to be the quality of the batteries that makes the difference rather than the tool it's self.  It's the same old adage, buy cheap buy twice.

This is the main reason Panasonic are such good tools, they really do make top notch batteries.

Sounds like they might be JIS, I've been using Milwalkee impact bits for years and they tend to be pretty good for fit in most PZ2 heads

Work phoning up and saying shifts are cancelled, fucking 0-hour contracts, man. I need to find some sort of part time gig for the weekends to bolster my income.

It's a sad state of affairs to be going bald before you stop being financially dependant on your parents...

I'm going bald at 21...

The driver of the HGV that ran into the back of my mum a while back has now found a witness who says she rolled back (uphill!!!) into the front of the truck from 50cm away. This caused enough damage that her car needed jigging.

Obviously complete bollocks and it can be proved that way from all kinds of angles, but months later she's still in loads of pain and it's getting worse, the last thing she needs is someone trying to make her out to be a liar FFS.

Go out and grab some photos of a spirit level on the road? Amazing how a witness comes out after the event though...

Has your ma got legal cover on her insurance? Sounds like he's shitting himself over losing his job or summat so just making up tripe. The right thing to do would be for the insurers to take him to the cleaners, the easy thing to do however....

(Alternatively, find his truck and slash all the tyres)

Dad has a 15 plate 1.6 auto focus estate on motability, 65k miles currently. We went to a concert in that london last night and he drove as his blue badge exempts him from the congestion charge.

Fark me every time he pulled away from idle the thing juddered like you still had your foot half on the clutch! Pulling away slowly makes it do it longer but not as bad, booting it away results in some quite alarming noises but they don't last as long... Been doing it a while apparently, he keeps meaning to take it to Ford, but being large, reduced mobility etc expects them to lob him the keys to a manual ford KA... It's also got a shocking rear end drone/vibration over 60 which he drowns out with music.

If the gooner ever starts juddering pulling away it's going to the SIC hospital for elderly auto boxes and I'll buy something shite again!

I woke up at 1:30am this morning, rolled over, spat out a filling and went back to sleep.

I only had that tooth done a month ago and this is the second time a filling has made an escape for it, might just have the bugger removed entirely as there isn't much actual tooth left. I'm trying to avoid £100 worth of other dental work as I can't actually afford it so my visit to the dentist tomorrow will be fun...

Struggling to find the Highway Code section that instructs people to pull pretty much right out on you on a 50mph road, then do 30mph. Especially when the road behind you was clear.

Just about a year ago I witnessed a minor accident where an arrogant moron on a cycle shot a red light, turned the wrong way into a one-way street and hit a van that was waiting at a red light. Despite dash cam footage, CCTV and several witnesses he told every lie under the sun to the police and insurance to try to blame the van driver.

Anyway, today at the same junction I got a sense of deja vu as a (female) cyclist pulled the same stunt and was saved from injury by the actions of an alert coach driver. Who she then abused noisily.