The grumpy thread

outlaw118

The washing machine smells like, as my wife put it, "Hot Scalextric" when it's spinning.

Whilst her description makes me grin, it's probably buggered and since it's only an Indesit, once you start fixing them you just end up chasing faults until you lob it down the tip and it gets turned into a Chery 304DDS-67L Happy Fun Wagon ++ 

Also, there's a massive pile of washing to be done.

Fucking wanker designers... gone are the days when an old man in a brown overall actually checked that the new design worked or could be fitted in the way it was meant to be... Door handles, it is not fucking rocket science, it is a handle with four screws to fit it to the door FFS at least check that the fucking screw holes are not so close to the handle that with the non-removable screw cover getting in the way you cannot actually mark the position of the holes let alone actually screw them to the door. Oh and lets use flat head screws just to make sure it is actually totally impossible..... That is 5 hours of my life I will never get back....

Chegs, don't think you were here when Hants PoPo had a light aircraft based over at Lee-on-the-Solent. Seemed like every sodding night it was out and about doing training flights going in circles!

No, I was spared that thank goodness.

Living where I do and spending a lot of time on the water I'm well used to seeing the rescue helis out & about, but that's the first time we've had one hovering over Gunwharf. I'm prepared to forgive him waking me up for the photo opportunity

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Hearing about the dreadful awfulness of Prince Harry's terrible life.

A week after some people were cremated in their own homes.

I wouldn't wish either on anyone tbh. At least most us can largely choose how to live our lives. I imagine there's the same lack of choices and opportunity at the top as there is at the bottom.

Prosperity and privelige don't generally seem to bring the best out of most people so it can't be that great.

Three of the Oldsmobile brake calipers now cleaned up and new pads fitted. The last one has a seized slider. FFS.

Chromed steel tubes that run inside the caliper. The caliper bolts go through them. Top one free, bottom one utterly stuck. Soak in penetrating oil, leave for a day or three then get hammering? Or any better ideas?

Three of the Oldsmobile brake calipers now cleaned up and new pads fitted. The last one has a seized slider. FFS.

Chromed steel tubes that run inside the caliper. The caliper bolts go through them. Top one free, bottom one utterly stuck. Soak in penetrating oil, leave for a day or three then get hammering? Or any better ideas?

Coke.

The fizzy kind.

http://dsportmag.com/the-tech/education/the-art-of-removing-stuck-nuts-and-bolts/

Worth a try! At least it the caliper will remain free of ants even if it doesn't actually work.....

"If you’re feeling particularly MacGyver-esque, there’s always Diet Coke or a rust-fighting solution like Evapo-rust. Bubbly soft drinks like Diet Coke and regular Coca-Cola contain phosphoric acid, a substance known to do a number on rust. Diet Coke doesn’t contain the sugars so it’s generally easier to clean up and doesn’t attract ants."

Fucking wanker designers... gone are the days when an old man in a brown overall actually checked that the new design worked or could be fitted in the way it was meant to be... Door handles, it is not fucking rocket science, it is a handle with four screws to fit it to the door FFS at least check that the fucking screw holes are not so close to the handle that with the non-removable screw cover getting in the way you cannot actually mark the position of the holes let alone actually screw them to the door. Oh and lets use flat head screws just to make sure it is actually totally impossible..... That is 5 hours of my life I will never get back....

I have a 62 bedroom hotel full of this type of shit I have to fix every day :(

Anything that comes with screws included has one important rule to fit it without hassle. Bin the screws & use decent ones.

Agreed. I install a lot of wireless access points on ceilings in my job. They come with shitty little screws that aren't even self-tappers. I now have a few boxes of various sizes of self-tappers stashed in my drawer at work, plus a decent electric screwdriver to install them with. World of difference.

I have a 62 bedroom hotel full of this type of shit I have to fix every day :(

I feel really sorry for you...I did 6 and had to go round the outside of the bungalow collecting all the screws, screwdrivers and door handle packaging that had been launched out of various windows in frustration during the process...

Just returned from seeing a mega cheap LDV Convoy, 2.5 diesel It's Bulgarian registered and a bit tatty so I can't really make the sums add up enough to buy it.

Seller had her boyfriend there and her son, who is a "mechanic"

Yeah, turbo's gone on it mate,

Does it smoke then?

(laughing) no, turbo's don't smoke mate! if it was smoking it would be doing now, on tickover! It's just not boosting, basically all the blades have broken off so it's just spinning and not doing anything.

Right.

I told him about runaway diesel engines and how they can eat their own oil. "That's never happened, impossible mate!" He went on to tell me that my own personal experience with borked turbo seals and smokey engines was mistaken and my mates DCI Laguna deffo didn't have a runaway engine because "like I said mate, it's impossible, don't forget i trained up for 4 years to be a mechanic" he looked all of 23.

Told him i'd seen a lorry do it once.- "aaah, but lorries are different"

Seeing as I was round the ladies house and didn't want to cause a scene I just gave the "ooh, right, didn't know that" to everything he said.There were a few other ridiculous things, like saying the hole in a side wall down to the plies was still legal but tbh I'd stopped listening. Basically every time I tried to talk turkey with the seller this twat would butt in with some ridiculous "fact" that he'd make available to everyone. He friggng stunk of stale BO too.

I'm giving this LWB LDV convoy a swerve if anyone's interested. It's £200

I actually need a good cordless screwdriver. Got a job fitting some decking. Budget around £100 if possible. Any good ideas or tips?

Titan 10.8v Li-ion twin pack from Screwfix. About 80 quid for an impact driver and drill - everything you need to fit decking in a handy carry case :)

Spend the £20 on some decent bits and deck screws

Just returned from seeing a mega cheap LDV Convoy, 2.5 diesel It's Bulgarian registered and a bit tatty so I can't really make the sums add up enough to buy it.

Seller had her boyfriend there and her son, who is a "mechanic"

Yeah, turbo's gone on it mate,

Does it smoke then?

(laughing) no, turbo's don't smoke mate! if it was smoking it would be doing now, on tickover! It's just not boosting, basically all the blades have broken off so it's just spinning and not doing anything.

Right.

I told him about runaway diesel engines and how they can eat their own oil. "That's never happened, impossible mate!" He went on to tell me that my own personal experience with borked turbo seals and smokey engines was mistaken and my mates DCI Laguna deffo didn't have a runaway engine because "like I said mate, it's impossible, don't forget i trained up for 4 years to be a mechanic" he looked all of 23.

Told him i'd seen a lorry do it once.- "aaah, but lorries are different"

Seeing as I was round the ladies house and didn't want to cause a scene I just gave the "ooh, right, didn't know that" to everything he said.There were a few other ridiculous things, like saying the hole in a side wall down to the plies was still legal but tbh I'd stopped listening. Basically every time I tried to talk turkey with the seller this twat would butt in with some ridiculous "fact" that he'd make available to everyone. He friggng stunk of stale BO too.

I'm giving this LWB LDV convoy a swerve if anyone's interested. It's £200

I'm surprised you stayed there that long.

As soon as I smell bullshit from somebody I just say I've seen enough and leave.

That convoy will be mega ropy, obviously they don't think it's going to make it back home or it would be gone as it would sell for good money.

However IF it's the old Di transit engine and the body isn't falling off and it sounded ok just no boost then it's worth £200

Did you see if it was running a Lucas EPIC pump or a bosch?

Coming up the A55 earlier, I passed a convoy of Transit tippers bearing the names of various 'home-improvement' services and pulling a variety of caravans with tinted windows. Obviously a small guild of respectable tradesmen who have decided to share a nice summer holiday. They didn't come off at my junction, but I'm still a bit wary as there's only a couple more junctions before Holyhead and I'm pretty sure they won't be heading to Dublin.

That convoy will be mega ropy, obviously they don't think it's going to make it back home or it would be gone as it would sell for good money.

However IF it's the old Di transit engine and the body isn't falling off and it sounded ok just no boost then it's worth £200

Did you see if it was running a Lucas EPIC pump or a bosch?

It's come "home" to the UK, the seller and her family were British. It was just in Bulgaria for so long that it was registered out there. AFAIK  it's the 2.5 Di engine, although by 03 reg it should be Duratec I couldn't actually tell because the bonnet cable was snapped and they wouldn't open the bonnet. Another thing that set alarm bells ringing. 

I think it would be worth £200 just to remove the "transit" engine and box (I think the turbo Di is a rarity in a transit) and bridge the rest. Not that many smiley transits around anymore though. 

I wonder if these things export?