Dollywobbler's Daewoo Dalliances - Matiz mostly HOME!

dollywobbler

There used to be a fantastic site, think it was based in the Czech Republic, that was an absolute gold mine of Matiz related information. Had some very nicely modified cars, a brilliant forum (once you'd translated it) and it even hosted the entire official technical manual - in english. Sadly gone now!

There used to be a fantastic site, think it was based in the Czech Republic, that was an absolute gold mine of Matiz related information. Had some very nicely modified cars, a brilliant forum (once you'd translated it) and it even hosted the entire official technical manual - in english. Sadly gone now!

Is it not on the wayback machine?

http://www.wayback.com/

I carefully looked at all the useful advice about paint, and then took no notice at all and just hurled paint at it. If I don't turn the lights on and squint a lot, it isn't terrible.

Dx2KP-0WkAUNUq9.jpg

I've since sprayed a load of Bilt Hamber Dynax S50 all over the place as well, neatly covering the overspray on the rear suspension arm...

I think I just don't have the patience (or bloody time) for nice bodywork repairs.

• 1 month later...

Today, I covered about 240 miles across South Wales. Wales is quite big, and the miles seem longer.

D07V6nnXQAYMopf.jpg

To be honest, all has not been joyous. That driving position is just too cramped for big trips like that, and the fact there's no torque means constant forays into the lower gears. Not relaxing! However, the two Maxxis all-season tyres I fitted up front proved their worth, dealing with a ton of rain today and feeling a lot more planted than whatever was there before.

I think, especially given how things are panning out, this one will have to move on this year. It's been nice to track it down, but I think it'll soon be time to send it off on another adventure. Only this time, I will not be trading it in for a Subaru Impreza Sport and an extra barrowload of debt...

• 2 months later...
On 1/22/2019 at 1:24 AM, Noel Tidybeard said:

now its been serviced you can take some "performance" figures then take the restrictor out of the air box and re-run the figures to see if it compares with the Elly big-bore success

Many months later, DONE!

D8XdqhBWkAAhXX-.jpg

That really does look tiny. Of course, I should have done some video of what it was like before I removed it, but I'll report back on any improvements.

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Why does the restrictor exist? Surely for them to go to the trouble of molding a piece of plastic on a mass produced car it has a purpose in life?

It looks like it's a venturi.  It will limit the air mass flow rate if the difference between upstream and downstream pressure exceeds a certain value (i.e. it will then choke the flow).  Depending on how the fuel side is managed, increasing the air mass flowrate could indeed cause the mixture to become too lean and lead to pinking.  Possibly.  It's 11 years since I was working with venturis etc (rockets!) and I'm getting rusty ?.