Dollywobbler's Daewoo Dalliances - Matiz mostly HOME!

dollywobbler

Weirdly it doesn’t show up on totalcarcheck. According to the DVLA it’s tax was last due in 2006 and it’s only had 2 MOT’s, one in December and one in 2010. Strange little critter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is an odd one. It's very late for a pre-facelift, which makes me wonder if it's a European-built one.

Anyway, this happened.

Dwpth0lX0AEpegr.jpg

New lower arms, new ARB bushes, new track rod end rubbers, new discs, new pads and one more CV joint and she's driving much more nicely, and actually stopping!

Briefly visited the Dean/Angyl BX swap, but there were no dramas and I managed to take no pictures (though I did get some video). 

Drove home. It got dark.

DwptICsXcAAqv-J.jpg

First time I've actually had all of my vehicles at home since I bought the Matiz in July! Also hit 90,000 miles on the way back, which means I'm going to have to keep it until at least 100,012 miles (it had 12 on the clock when I bought it 20 years ago). Can I hit that figure before August, which is when I took delivery in 1999? (probably not).

In late 1999, I finished my office job in Shirley, Solihull, jumped in my Matiz, collected some friends and hot-footed it down to Brixton Academy. We went to see Nine Inch Nails, where I purchased this T-shirt. We then drove back to Birmingham. T-shirt and car have aged remarkably well. Owner, not so much perhaps...

DxRHCh-WwAAIIz0.jpg

Gave the Matiz a service today. Glad I didn't run it for too long prior, as the oil filter is directly below the exhaust manifold... A bit of a sod to get at, but got there in the end. Plugs were manky, air filter black. Went for a test drive and discovered that I don't think the air filter was clipped down correctly before. Doesn't sounds as growly now!

DxXFcV6XcAEii5K.jpg

Thought I'd better do something about the sills, as they were looking a bit crusty. Attacked them with a screwdriver and a wire brush attachment in a drill and pleased to report no holes either side! I think this was your classic 'just in time' repair. Here is the nearside sill, bathing in Vactan.

DxXkDj6WoAAAJCs.jpg

There's a bad blister on the nearside rear wheelarch, at about 10 o'clock. I'm not sure I dare attach it, but did discover a thick sludgey pile of mud on the inner edge. I'll wash that out once I've finished with the sill end.

I've had good success with WLW Auto paints sold on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-MK3-Car-Body-Paint-BASECOAT-AEROSOL-TOUCH-UP-SCRATCH-REPAIR-MIXED-/352043180721?var=&hash=item51f768a2b1

They do a good deal on basecoat and lacquer as evidenced through my sill repaint job on the Celica. I got a can of red and a can of lacquer for about £15 and the colour match was perfect.

After primer, before base coat, chuck some stonechip paint on.  It's a high impact area and it will benefit from the extra protection.  It might also benefit from using zinc/weld-through primer rather than standard stuff if the bits I've done on the Princess are anything to go by.  Colour coat, then lacquer to finish for best result.  Also, when masking off, a tip I was given that works well is to tape the paper down near the repair as if you're masking off the repair, then loosely fold the paper back on itself so it's the side you want to mask.  This gives a 'soft line' and helps with feathering the paint out if you're using aerosols, especially useful when you haven't got a hard line to mask to like a panel gap and is one of those incredibly easy to do tips that requires no special skills to achieve.

After primer, before base coat, chuck some stonechip paint on. It's a high impact area and it will benefit from the extra protection. It might also benefit from using zinc/weld-through primer rather than standard stuff if the bits I've done on the Princess are anything to go by. Colour coat, then lacquer to finish for best result. Also, when masking off, a tip I was given that works well is to tape the paper down near the repair as if you're masking off the repair, then loosely fold the paper back on itself so it's the side you want to mask. This gives a 'soft line' and helps with feathering the paint out if you're using aerosols, especially useful when you haven't got a hard line to mask to like a panel gap and is one of those incredibly easy to do tips that requires no special skills to achieve.

That sounds like a really good common sense tip now you've said it...will keep that in mind next time I'm doing paintwork...

Just for you.

DxbV8pXWsAAYyMD.jpg

PROFESHUNAL.

DxbWWZGWwAA271x.jpg

That's a coat of zinc rich primer. In fact, it was the very last of my one tin of zinc rich primer. I just about managed to do both sill ends before it ran out. Stonechip and paint ordered, but hopefully the zinc primer will protect it until then. I need the garage for other projects.

now its been serviced you can take some "performance" figures then take the restrictor out of the air box and re-run the figures to see if it compares with the Elly big-bore success

Here's the interesting thing. I have my suspicions that the air filter housing had not been closed up properly, as I managed to do in the video. She now feels quieter AND more sluggish with it sealing properly...

After my Matiz was serviced I noticed it sounded louder and a bit more "gruff" as I was driving home. I was quite pleased until I realised that the garage had put the airbox lid back on so roughly that they'd broken two of the locating tabs along the rear edge, creating the same issue you've seen here.