Dollywobbler's Daewoo Dalliances - Matiz mostly HOME!

dollywobbler

It is indeed the old GM plug. Sadly, software is the main hurdle. My(decent) local garage couldn’t even read the fault codes in mine.

I remember the guys at Car Mechanics mag having trouble turning the airbag light off on the project Matiz. Could maybe have a word with them and see if they have any suggestions, Ian.

I'm fairly sure that one of our more technically gifted members had a solution to that problem involving a small circuitboard that would replicate the light coming on with the ignition then quickly extinguishing.  It would be better to fix it properly if possible though as you might as well have working safety kit.

All you need really is to rewire the light from an alternate switched source (probably stereo) and fit a timed relay in, light will come on with ignition and extinguish after a few seconds.

Of course it's a bad idea 99% of the time and pretty underhand given it's all to create an illusion that a safety item is there and working, but when it's unfixable and that or the car effectively made un-motable and you'd just remove the airbag if it was allowed anyway, then it falls into the 1% of time it is ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is still crawling on. Car is now pretty much MOT ready bar the sodding airbag light. I think we may go 'bulb out' to get a pass. It seems a stupid rule, but apparently if it doesn't come on, it's not a fail. If it stays on, it's a fail...

After that, I still want to get it properly sorted out. I would never fit a timer to fake it. That's ludicrous on a car I might sell one day. 

Does a GM Tech II with a GM software loaded work on these? I know the GM software seems to work with most GM models for basic code reading/erasing of many modules. If so, I have a Tech 2 you could borrow and I think I have a ALDL connector in the box. I'll go check in a minute...

(I'll have to get a GM card or load GM software over the Saab software on the one I have).

As posted on Facebook, My Mondeo has gone through 3 MOTs (2 testers) without the airbag even getting the advisory (it should have). My airbag control module is disconnected completely, so no chance of it firing. And of course, as was much lauded at the time, every Mondeo had a drivers airbag, even a base!

I believe it is a solution. As far as I know, there's no ban on fitting sports steering wheels to cars that had airbags originally for instance.

My mate has a Clio 182 that had an aftermarket non airbag wheel fitted. The car came with an airbag. Previous testers passed it. Latest failed it. Has to have an airbag wheel if the car came with one.

Clio is obvious to have one, Matiz maybe not. Won't help it though if airbag light is glowing.

Well this is still crawling on. Car is now pretty much MOT ready bar the sodding airbag light. I think we may go 'bulb out' to get a pass. It seems a stupid rule, but apparently if it doesn't come on, it's not a fail. If it stays on, it's a fail...

After that, I still want to get it properly sorted out. I would never fit a timer to fake it. That's ludicrous on a car I might sell one day. 

Not as stupid a rule as it initially seems, some cars have airbags but no airbag light to illuminate, particularly ones with mechanically triggered bags, like my Discovery, likely certain early 90's jags etc.

Remove the bulb worked! MOT passed with advisory.

Annoyingly, I discovered this fact just after a friend and colleague departed my house for his home not a million miles from where the Matiz is. That was quite annoying. I also don't know how big the bill is going to be yet, but am fearing the worst. Probably going to jump on a train and collect it on Friday. Maybe.