Pioneer radio question

Marm Toastsmith

post-23518-0-06164100-1536781049_thumb.jpg

Was going to put this in the 205. It ought to be better than the factory radio, but still appropriately shite. But it seems the connector might be made of unobtanium... Can't find anything that looks the same on eBay.

It's a pull-out model so presumably it originally had a dedicated cage with integral connector... was hoping there would be a way to get it to work in a generic cage... errrrrr...

post-23518-0-00430500-1536781213_thumb.jpg

Anyone know?

Unless you can find another of the same model for spares, what you have there is a paperweight.

Sorry.

I thought that might be the case... shame...

Has Dolby B though. I wonder how stick the pinch roller will be? Hacking an SCSI cable might work if you have enough patience.

Yeah, it's a nice one! And there's got to be a way to bodge it, one way or another, but I suppose it's quite a lot of work to (potentially) discover that the thing is non-functional anyway...

O well

I thought that might be the case... shame...

Yeah, it's a nice one! And there's got to be a way to bodge it, one way or another, but I suppose it's quite a lot of work to (potentially) discover that the thing is non-functional anyway...

O well

If you find a pinout somewhere on ze interwebs you might be able to find the power in. Then you can check if it's a dud.

Whip the lid off an it should be obvious which is the +12v in - lob a power feed onto it & see if it sparks into life.

Then the speaker outs should be reasonably straightforward to trace.

Or spend £4.99 on this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Mini-Disc-Car-Stereo/142934738791?hash=item2147930767:g:eDAAAOSwh6VblCJ-

s-l1600.jpg

Whip the lid off an it should be obvious which is the +12v in - lob a power feed onto it & see if it sparks into life.

Then the speaker outs should be reasonably straightforward to trace.

Or spend £4.99 on this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Mini-Disc-Car-Stereo/142934738791?hash=item2147930767:g:eDAAAOSwh6VblCJ-

s-l1600.jpg

Haha. MiniDisc - NO! Bargain tho.

Actually I do sometimes use them. Have got some. And a deck.

But I want tapes in this car.

Took the lid off... Learned:

- It was made in 1990! The same year as the 205!

- Pinch rollers are shiny. Not awful, but...

- The wiring isn't going to be easy to trace - all packed in too tight and just too many wires. I could make an educated guess but...

I think the suggestion to get something else is probably a good one. A line-in would be useful. Don't mind spending a few quid if I have to.

I`m wondering if the cage had a phono out, if it did, you just need to find the power + - and remote out, then solder the phono outs to a phono lead & on to an amp or graphic.. 

**Edit, it had a DIN plug output, not phono`s**

post-3844-0-93263600-1536806847_thumb.jpg

There is this "wiring kit" at an eye watering price, & with no picture, so no idea what exactly you`d get:

https://www.partmaster.co.uk/kehm5000-cable-kit/product.pl?pid=235513

Find out what car it was nicked from and go see the owner for moar info?

I had a unit like this back in the day which may have been a JVC? Used to pull the thing out and stick it under the seat because you'd look like a dick carrying it into the pub. Would have made an excellent weapon though.

The idea of removing the whole unit seemed to pass quite quickly favouring alternate methods of security. I forgot these ever existed, thanks for reminding me!

My manager was talking about these the other day, reminiscing about carrying the whole thing around with him in the 90s.

People often took the piss, but he always did it because he had a job doing data entry for the police at the time and could spend an entire day entering stolen car stereos.

He once did a search on his own one, just out of curiosity, and sure enough it was on the system as stolen...

I`m wondering if the cage had a phono out, if it did, you just need to find the power + - and remote out, then solder the phono outs to a phono lead & on to an amp or graphic.. 

**Edit, it had a DIN plug output, not phono`s**

attachicon.gif2351382217_1.jpg

There is this "wiring kit" at an eye watering price, & with no picture, so no idea what exactly you`d get:

https://www.partmaster.co.uk/kehm5000-cable-kit/product.pl?pid=235513

Another good find, but yeah a bit pricy all things considered. I think I'll probably just get something else...

...off to wire some new speakers in it now anyway. Maybe with an upgrade there the original radio won't be so bad.

205?  Ahhhh

This special* radiogram mono/stereo system designed for Pugs 205 available which a smart phone connects to for toons,  wireless reception or very loud intimate phone calls. 

post-7239-0-98959500-1536835007_thumb.jpg

plus (generic picture) amplifier

post-7239-0-33399000-1536835201_thumb.jpg

plus pre-amplifier

post-7239-0-35130100-1536835359_thumb.jpg

no longer connected to this.

post-7239-0-01229300-1536835816_thumb.jpg

I have different but similar type radiogram in present Pugs 205 auto flavour.

Ha! Brilliant! That looks like the solution* to all my problems, and certainly ideal for a little enthusiastic listening to the light programme.

Actually was just wondering whether a regular 205 parcel shelf would fit in my convertible. I've got a very nice little 8" sub which has been in the loft for decades...but I'd feel bad cutting holes in my virgin shelf.

That would save me the bother I suppose... Where are you/is it?

Hopefully this weekend of the £4.99 cables and surround have arrived from eBay I shall be ripping out the factory fit stereo out of the Picasso and launching it into the hedge then fitting a nice 1990's Sony with all important 3.5mm jack input to run a DAB radio on.

Radio 4 hopefully wont be farting any more and I get to listen to Radio 7 (4extra) too