Sold

phil_lihp

Right, I've been a twit again and won a car off Ebay with no real idea of how to collect it within the seller's 1 week time frame.

s-l400.jpg

Before I resort to Shipley, anyone near Oakhanger in Hampshire fancy acting out their Spanish hire car fantasies and collecting/looking after a 1991 Seat Marbella for me for a couple of weeks? Or even delivering it to Devon?

Link for the curious :

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/1991-SEAT-MARBELLA-3-DOOR-HATCH-850-MANUAL-ONE-OWNER-FUTURE-CLASSIC/232915859218?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

I'm mildly annoyed with myself as I really shouldn't have bid, the timing could be better but this is a bucket-list car I've wanted since I almost got one as my first car 16 years ago so I couldn't miss the chance, even though the colour is slightly hideous.

Yours optimistically....

There are some very nice people on this forum, I'll say that much. We'll disregard that if it weren't for this forum I wouldn't have found this car in the first place; sometimed the poison and andidote are in the same glass.

Anyway, anyone owned one of these before? It clearly has had rust issues according to the MOT, I always assumed these were a slightly less high quality Panda with a happier face, louder colours and plastic cladding, anything else to add? Note that I have never driven either a Panda or Marbella so I have only vague ideas and assumptions to go on.

Anyway, anyone owned one of these before?

No, but four of us rented one for a week’s holiday in the Pelopennese in about 1996. We were staying in a tiny villa (more of a hut really) at the top of a hill, a 5-mile 1-in-4 donkey track away from the village / beach / tar road.

My ears didn't stop bleeding until 2003.

It was great fun though.

No, but four of us rented one for a week’s holiday in the Pelopennese in about 1996. We were staying in a tiny villa (more of a hut really) at the top of a hill, a 5-mile 1-in-4 donkey track away from the village / beach / tar road.

My ears didn't stop bleeding until 2003.

It was great fun though.

I'm going to have to hire this out I reckon, it's what they were made for. Unofficially of course.

Also these are getting proper rare, I read somewhere that there's only about 120 left. Might be wrong but I haven't seen one in real life for years.

That looks GR9.

It's a posh one, it's got 2 speakers, I bet it has a clock as well.

It's really posh, it has a sunroof (masticked up I believe ).

Random thought, 850cc makes this the smallest engine I've had in a car, 954cc in my AX was the previous winner. I think these are some ancient powerplant Fiat had long since thrown away, from what little info I've seen.

The Panda was available with a 750cc motor, my local garage had one I used to borrow frequently, it was very slow.

It generally ran on "mix" basically anything drained from petrol/diesel cars filled with the wrong fuel, but it would run. It was bogo spec, 1 speaker, no clock, and possibly drum brakes all round (I'm guessing here) but the brakes were utterly shite.

To me that was a proper drivers car, to make progress you had to change gear at the perfect time, keep momentum, and plan everything well in advance.

I had one of these as my first 'new' car.

It lasted a couple of years and about 50k miles before the first rust bubbles appeared on the wings and the bottom of the doors.... It had a new clutch fitted because it had started to slip and was then chopped in against a new Micra.

I'm amazed that there are any still left in a working condition.

Anyway, anyone owned one of these before? It clearly has had rust issues according to the MOT, I always assumed these were a slightly less high quality Panda with a happier face, louder colours and plastic cladding, anything else to add? Note that I have never driven either a Panda or Marbella so I have only vague ideas and assumptions to go on.

Marbella has cruder rear suspension and road manners. Pandas from 86 on got the coil sprung omega rear suspension off the Y10. 4x4s kept the cart springs. Marbella are more rust resistant. It wasnt unusual to see Pandas running around with Marbella doors to replace the frilly originals. I bet your bull bars are worth a lot to the Panda 4x4 crowd.

The Panda was available with a 750cc motor, It was bogo spec, 1 speaker, no clock, and possibly drum brakes all round (I'm guessing here) but the brakes were utterly shite.

Discs at the front M9. Servos however reserved for 4x4s and Selecta until very late on. 750 was gone from price lists after 92