2001 Suzuki Wagon R - Sometimes for sale.

pandamonium

Those Mk2 Kia Rio's are alright, loads of space but the engines are noisy and gutless and the driving dynamics are bad enough that my wife, by her own admission is not a 'car' person, was caused to question if there was something seriously wrong with the suspension because going round corners at any speed was frankly terrifying.

We had it to be checked over, had 4 new tyres, tracking done and suspension checked, all was found to be OK. It just has/had a weird setup and was a bit skittish, especially on a wet roundabout.

They are economical, cheap-ish to insure and OK to work on. They have motorspot pedigree* too, with the Mazda B-series engine being a distant relative of what goes in MX-5's and someone on here had a go at hillclimbing one once. He found out about the iffy handling too from memory.

Oh, beware the central locking. My wife lobbed the keys in one day, put our eldest daughter in, shut the door and was walking round to get in the driver side and the car locked itself. Daughter inside, Wife outside. mercifully she was all of 5 minutes walk from home at the time, and someone watched the car/daughter while she ran home for the spare key, but after that the central locking was disabled (by me) to prevent recurrence.

Overall, more space than the Yaris, but a less good, less refined car. If it were me, I'd be going to see the Yaris as a preference. The Kia's are OK, but built to a price (the base 1.3 was the cheapest car for sale in the UK at the time at £6995, and could be had for £99 down and £99 a month) and after this time its starting to show. 

I have a replacement MAF in the garage thats yours for free if you go for it, after my ringing endorsement.

Did you see this in the other thread?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mercedes-benz/mercedes-e-class-240-elegance-auto/1313019721

I know it's not a small engine but insurance would probably be surprisingly cheap on a classic policy, it would do your 70 mile round trips comfortably and quickly, and if you're able to walk to work most of the time as you say then fuel consumption not likely to be a massive issue. Just saying like...

$_86.JPG

£200 (and "no reasonable offer refused")

Rio has gone. And as for the others, I'm looking for Mot beyond February if possible. Every celebration in my family occurs from December to February - we have even thought of moving Easter and Halloween just to get it over and done with...

There is no excuse for not buying the £180 focus in the other thread.

Not one.

Good luck man!

Eh, I have a mk2 Rio and think it handles pretty well for something not designed to be sporty and running 175/85/R14s. It does sort of feel like the steering wheel is connected by giant rubber bands though, same with the gear linkages.

I press on quite hard sometimes and the only time it felt funny was in the wet going round a roundabout a few months back when the back tyres were nearing the wear limit and they were mismatched budgets. They have since been replaced with Toyos and it's a lot better. The brakes feel shit if you've driven anything remotely modern even though it has discs all round (95 BHP, what is point) and the fuel economy is poor nowadays (35 MPG) but about average for a 1.4 petrol of that era. It's also the worst car I've ever driven in a cross wind, and I've owned Micras, Pandas, etc. I think Katy Perry wrote the lines "Do you ever feel like a plastic bag, Drifting thought the wind Wanting to start again" whilst driving one of these*.

The 1.4 will keep up with most stuff until about 50 MPH, your average 1.6 litre + TDI will obviously leave you standing if the driver puts their foot down but I wouldn't say it's annoyingly slow at all.

Everyone assumes you're a slow giffer though and will just pull out in front as if you're not there.

I will be looking to shift my leggy, rattly w203 soon, local breaker type place offering £285.

c270 cdi estate, so insurance is quite high. MOT until Jan, everything works, but various rattles and squeaks. It's got 250k on it, quite rusty (one hole, jacking point) tailgate rusty, rear plate held on with gaffer tape,I ripped off the surround when I locked the keys in the boot, plus I'm nicking the stereo. Oh, and the n/s wing mirror is broken, although I think the indicator in it still works.

It's not been touched for 2 months, currently SORN and not insured. I just need to swap the wheels off it to my other Merc, re-attach the wing mirror and make sure it still starts … I did 40k in it last year, replaced, water-pump, engine mounts, gearbox oil, discs, pads and other stuff. It looks like crap, but has been reliable for me.

Does it have a tow bar? Might be up for this to take abroad, do let me know!