Shiters, Average chod-age? Where on the spectrum are you

HMC

MGB GT 1974

MGB Roadster 1978

Toyota HiAce 1991

C3 2004

Ibiza 2012

Ducato 2014.

Ignore the last two and it's pretty old.

Edit = all of these average to 22.5 but I forgot the two bikes in bits in the shed and their both 1955, so that takes the average to 33 (or 42 without the new stuff).

Westminster and Gazelle both 59,Rover 55,Peugeot 53,Volvo 48,Maestro 34,Volvo 29,Lada 23.This seems to give an average of 45,which says something as I'm 38. Never owned a car newer than 1998,although to muddy the waters still further both my newest cars were seven years old when I got them. I'm not as into the classics as I was, but agree with all those so far who've said mid eighties to late nineties gives you a car old enough to be interesting but new enough to still function as a car and be fixable when it doesn't.

I am averaging a bit over 33 years with the three cars, although the Land Rover (1982) and Jaguar (1970) really are move of classics than things the get regular use. That said, the newest car I have ever owned was a 1998 C230 Merc bought is 2011 when 13-years-old and I was quite surprised at how new that sounds.

We're getting to the point where old cars are so jammed full of electronic gubbins that fixing them needs a laptop just as much as a set of spanners. With this in mind, combined with the fact I might soon own a garage for the very first time, I have decided it is a bit now or never to buy certain cars. 

Current fleet:

1999 CLK so 19 years, had car for many moons. A load of advisories on MOT last week but I'll attend to them all.

1982 Ferrari Mondial, another long-term resident of my fleet. Now 36 years.

1988 XJ-S V12 (I've had 3 other XJ-S's before), currently for sale and needs to go. 30 years.

So average age 28 years. Replacement for recently-sold 16-year old Corsashite will probably be something of 15-20-year vintage. 

In late noughties had a Saab 900 from the late '80's preceded by a similar vintage Honda Prelude. Before that was average 10-year old chod of generally Ford or Rover provenance.

Eunos Roadster 1991

Fiesta 1994

Jag, Pug 106, Clio 1995

ST170, Passat Estate 2003

Mondeo 2005

Average age 20 years, give or take. Only the Fiesta, Jag, Passat and Mondeo are currently road legal, which skews it to just under 19 years. The Mondeo was by far the newest car I'd ever bought when I got it, it was 7 years old at the time.

1996 Polo

1994 205

1998 Golf

1994 850

1996 850

1996 Me.

All of the cars I've actually liked have been the same age as me or older. Therefore it can be surmised that my birth somehow ruined the car industry, sorry about that.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk