Insurance renewal rip offs

stripped fred

I'm with Hastings on the modern , £360 last year which was the cheapest , EVERYBODY says you're shafted once you've been in a accident even if it's not your fault , we got shunted at a roundabout last November , renewal this year £345 so that's bollocks then

I'm with Hastings on the modern , £360 last year which was the cheapest , EVERYBODY says you're shafted once you've been in a accident even if it's not your fault , we got shunted at a roundabout last November , renewal this year £345 so that's bollocks then

Well you have been lucky!

When my VTS was written off while parked in works car park, my premium went up despite "protected" no claims bonus!

Well you have been lucky!

When my VTS was written off while parked in works car park, my premium went up despite "protected" no claims bonus!

There's the con, they gave you the same discount but put the premium up first , it doesn't sound like that's how it's going to work when they sell you the protected NCB though does it

mine was a non fault claim , sounds like you claimed on your insurance

There's the con, they gave you the same discount but put the premium up first , it doesn't sound like that's how it's going to work when they sell you the protected NCB though does it

mine was a non fault claim , sounds like you claimed on your insurance

No I dealt with the other party's insurance throughout (was a work colleague) & non fault as they admitted liability (hard not to in the circumstances!).

Last year I retired my battered '96 Renault Laguna 1.8 Phase 1 because what appeared to be a clean, one-owner '98 Renault Laguna 1.8 Phase 1 had come up for sale locally.

I had naively assumed that swapping the insurance over would involve no more than paying the admin fee, but no: they wanted an additional £103 on the remainder of the policy (8 months), plus a £28 admin fee.

When asked why it was costing me about 40% more to insure what was essentially exactly the same car, the best excuse they could come up with was "oh, well, that one's newer isn't it, so it's going to be worth more".

I almost laughed.

In a twist of fate, the Green Gooner then lunched its engine three days before the insurance expired; but believing it was still salvageable, I agreed to renew the policy at more-or-less the same price.

When it became abundantly clear that it wasn't going to be fixable, I swapped the laid-up older Laguna back on to the policy, expecting that I might at least get a rebate, based on the previous flimsy excuse. But no - they wanted another £48 to swap the policy over to insure dear old KAZ.

This time, the wholly implausible reason was given as, "oh, well, that one's older isn't it, so in the event of a claim the parts would cost more to fix it."

Insurers, eh? A plague of suppurating boils upon their collective arses. 

In the event, both Renners turned out to be unfixable (by me, anyway) and in the end were punted on for scrap money. Hey ho.

post-17915-0-14981600-1536226660_thumb.jpg

When I changed from one Mk3 Astra to another on a policy that cost £150, they wanted £250 to change.  Ridiculous.

One night, someone broke into my car on the driveway, breaking two windows at the rear sides.  I called the insurance company, who said that 'those windows are not covered'.  Thanks.

Renewal time, small increase.  Why has it gone up please?  Because you had this incident................... thanks.

(Which is interesting as now, there's no way I'd call them for that - I'm now totally averse to telling them anything - yes, I know, legal obligations, but if I can get away with not telling them anything, I will.

Mrs JBs insurance renewal was up with Admiral and the quote came back double. She rang round, got a quote for half the price with Esure, took it and rang Admiral to cancel. When she told Admiral to cancel, they immediately halved the quote, then offered to price match Esure and throw in breakdown. They got very shirty when she refused (as she had already paid Esure) but eventual cancelled her policy after about 40 mins of arguing on the phone.

The mad thing is, Im pretty sure theyre both working under the same parent company so theyre spending quite a bit of time and money shuffling round an existing customer ending up with a price that she was on in the first place anyway. I suppose theyre just so used to people blindly accepting renewal quotes now that their business model falls over when someone shops around. With the same parent company.

Insurance is merely a formality once a car is over 8 years old. If it gets nicked, smashed up or whatever it’s just not worth claiming.

A very fair point - I was thinking the same about the Jaaaag - if it was written off I'd expect an offer of about 10p which in reality is probably fair - but it's worth far more to me as a viable daily car with a bit of luxury and minimal running costs (until something big breaks).

In my admittedly limited experience it's totally random.

I got punted up the rear, not my fault, premium went way up for a few years.

I hit a parked car, totally my fault, no difference. Didn't even lose my no-claims discount.