Scrappies selling fuel

CortinaDave

Given that it all drained out when he opened the doors, yeah.

Worth a go. A bit like running a car on cherry - till you get dipped.

Seems a bit short sighted though, surely next time you try and weigh a car in with them they'll tell you to do one? For the sake of an extra, what, fiver? from 50kg of water in the tank?

Marine diesel is all cherry, reduced tax for fishermen etc but yachties pay full tax then get fined for having red in the tank when they go to Belgium.

Two things to learn from this:

1. Don't take your boat to Belgium.

2. Red diesel will not damage high tech modern marine engines so is not likely to damage car engines especially shite.

every time I've scrapped a car I've used the (usually empty) tank as a way to get rid of every bad fluid I've got old oil, thinners, emulsion, you name it. What wouldn't fit in the tank I filled the engine with and poured all over the seats.

I didn't think of it but a bloke who collected a Ka from cartakeback gave me the idea and waited and smoked about 5 fags while I went round the house looking for owt to get rid of.

Nope

Red doesn't stain

Heating oil is clear.

HMRC can use a carbon swab from the exhaust pipe to determine what it's been burning.

I bought a car and found the diesel filter was full of green fuel when I changed it - I assumed it was heating oil but perhaps not?

every time I've scrapped a car I've used the (usually empty) tank as a way to get rid of every bad fluid I've got old oil, thinners, emulsion, you name it. What wouldn't fit in the tank I filled the engine with and poured all over the seats.

I didn't think of it but a bloke who collected a Ka from cartakeback gave me the idea and waited and smoked about 5 fags while I went round the house looking for owt to get rid of.

That's genius. Liquid paint is a PITA to get rid of, round here you have to apply for a permit to dispose of up to 12 cans per year, listed by type (gloss/emulsion/varnish). It's probably easier to buy a rubbish MOT failure for £100, remove anything working, chuck the paint in, and then get £100 off Cartakeback.

That's genius. Liquid paint is a PITA to get rid of, round here you have to apply for a permit to dispose of up to 12 cans per year, listed by type (gloss/emulsion/varnish). It's probably easier to buy a rubbish MOT failure for £100, remove anything working, chuck the paint in, and then get £100 off Cartakeback.

Never knew you had to pay a charge for them. Local recycling centres have points where you dump liquid stuff and they take it away. Didn't read the small print on the points so I might be saying utter shite.

Depends on the area. I had about 20-odd part cans to get rid of from my mum's shed - I could have taken them all to her local tip but you need to register 5 days in advance to use the tip if you're a non-resident (I live in a different county) and then you only get three visits or something daft so I just resigned myself to filling the car with rubbish and dropping it off at my tip on the way home.

Here the tips are free-for-all with no checks on where you live but they're a lot more tight on what you can take. No paint, they now charge per tub of rubble or ceramics, you can't take flat glass.

Thankfully her neighbour is a proper hoarder and he's just swiped the fuggin' lot. Half tins of paint, wood offcuts, part packets of screws and nails etc. Let him have the shed key for a weekend and it was totally cleared out when I went back.

Interesting. Never knew tips were so picky. I thought tip=tip. You take rubbish, roughly sort it and then go away. At least that's how it works here. I cannot, however get stuff from the bins like other places, and they have plasterboard bins you can use for free too. Some even do ruined fuel too. If I could buy back old tins of shit like old grease and used oil, I'd use it to make a groil undercoat for my future car.

Interesting. Never knew tips were so picky. I thought tip=tip. You take rubbish, roughly sort it and then go away. At least that's how it works here. I cannot, however get stuff from the bins like other places, and they have plasterboard bins you can use for free too. Some even do ruined fuel too. If I could buy back old tins of shit like old grease and used oil, I'd use it to make a groil undercoat for my future car.

Not shy with the charges here in Staffordshire, no wonder so much stuff is slung in hedgerows!e1717d55a015a97d16e4969cf53b0262.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Lots of scrappies use the grab to rip the tank and the engine out as soon as you weigh a car in, so if the tank is full of water or used engine oil you're probably going to get busted.

I once weighed a car in that had a load of tyres hidden inside  (front footwells, behind the seats etc) The grab operator just stuck the car straight in the baler/shear. As I was being paid I could see the now baled car being chopped up by the shear and bits of tyre dropping out everywhere. The guys in hi viz vests in the yard began shouting up at the me. I just managed to get my money and do one before they got to the weighbridge office.

Never knew you had to pay a charge for them. Local recycling centres have points where you dump liquid stuff and they take it away. Didn't read the small print on the points so I might be saying utter shite.

and this is why i go to the tip with sealed black bags which go in the landfill skip.

Presumably - the list specifically calls out flat glass as not being allowed. But mirrors are. Go figure.

I used to work at a pub where I was told to wait until it was dark, and then wheel the massive glass bin from behind the bar out into the carpark where there was a bottle bank, and chuck them all in. Presumably cheaper than commercial waste collection....

Is it specifically not legit? As in there's a law about not reselling fuel?

I don't think there is a specific law about selling second hand petrol as long as it complies to 'The Motor Fuel (Composition and Content) (Amendment) Regulations 2012' which govern the quality of petrol sold to the public. The scrappy would also have to comply with 'The Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014' as his yard has become a 'dispensing premises'. Here's a brief snippet of the 2014 regs (there's plenty more), does this describe the scrapyard and it's owner? I bet it doesn't. Not sure if there's any recrimination on you as a customer other than caveat emptor.

Storage under certificate

A person keeps petrol in compliance with this regulation if the petrol is kept on dispensing premises in respect of which there is—

a   a valid storage certificate; and

b    compliance with the notification requirements set out in regulations 9 and 10, as applicable.

Application and grant of storage certificates

6.— (1) A petroleum enforcement authority must grant a certificate in respect of dispensing premises (a “storage certificate”) where—

a   an application has been made in accordance with this regulation; and

b   it is satisfied that the containment system for petrol at the dispensing premises, including storage tanks, pipework and dispensers, may reasonably be used to store petrol and would not create an unacceptable risk to the health or safety of any person

When it comes down to it who actually gives a shit if they are selling it?

Its waste. Better its used for it purpose than say thrown on the floor. You've saved money, they've made money and everyone's happy no one elses business or should I be telling the (insert appropriate governing body) when I do other things to my car that have regulations?

I suppose the logical conclusion to that is "why bother having any rules?"

Wrong on a number of fronts 

Agri Vehicle VED  classification   is a nightmare of traps and pitfalls.  If it was easy  every 16 and 17 year old in rural areas would be driving to school on tractor or  some kind of agri-buggy thing 

You managed to find my shit spouting up there. Thought it was buried. Sufficed to say I do know a couple people who do drive their farm vehicles almost daily on the roads. Makes quite a holdup. However it's not in the context of the Fred so as you were chaps.