Scrappies selling fuel

CortinaDave

You can use up to 2500 litres a year legally but I'd still be interested to know what can happen if you do get stopped and dipped. I've done loads of miles on it in the past but at the mo it doesn't warrant it really with the low miles I'm doing even though the 405 would happily guzzle it.

It's on offer in Tesco just now, 70p/l.

I've never had a tank dipped despite running ramshackle old diesels for most of my driving life.

wandering off topic again... has anyone been stopped by VOSA (or whatever they are calling themselves this week) with a tank with veg oil in and what was the outcome?

One or two on the vegoildizzle forum have, they're not interested as soon as they see it's not cherry but in the early days there was some confusion when something other than diesel was found. More of an issue is those buying large amounts of chemicals to convert it into biodiesel, then C+E can want proof you're not selling the end product.

Selling anything as road fuel (with the expectation for it to be used as such) comes under some very tight regs, even if it has been classified as a waste product. The penalties for ignoring are colossal, suppliers are even leant on not to supply kerosene in small volumes. Technically, waste veg users are exempted from all the waste carriers stuff if it's for their own, non-business use - in England at least, when I last looked.

Is being dipped for the red stuff a regional thing?

I've never been dipped in the 350k miles I've done in diesel cars in and around the north east. Even though I've been stopped a few times for road safety inspections.

Increasingly common in Cumbria now that a lot of cop cars have ANPR set-ups.

I assume it must allow them to see the address of the registered keeper. If it contains the word "farm" at all, then that's maybe why they pull people over?