Scrappies selling fuel

CortinaDave

My local scrappy has sorted me out with a cheap tank of fuel for a few years now in an off the record fashion... but I see now they're blatantly advertising it on facebook.

Always thought it was an off the record thing ... but are scrappies actually allowed to sell on fuel?

Tax will already have been paid on it by whoever originally bought it for the scrapped car so I'm not sure.

If it’s diesel you are buying from them that they’ve drained in the scrapyard then I’d tread carefully. All sorts of shit finds its way to the breakers, plenty of clapped out diesels with failed pumps and swarf in them. I don’t know if you’ve seen the actual way they drain the diesel out, I’m not talking the official way but what actually happens in some breakers.

All sorts of shit finds its way to the breakers, plenty of clapped out diesels with failed pumps and swarf in them. I don’t know if you’ve seen the actual way they drain the diesel out, I’m not talking the official way but what actually happens in some breakers.

Tanks filled with water to increase weight over the bridge etc.

Just don't get stopped by the red diesel police and fined cos I did the other day!

If you run a car for the road on cherry you deserve all you get, sorry.

Tanks filled with water to increase weight over the bridge etc.

Yup, did that with a 480 I scrapped.

Except I also did it to the interior of the car below the window line.

He must have shit himself when he opened the door at the yard.

Eeeerm, at your own risk then, dude. 5-0 are really hot on it near me.

Was stopped twice in the nob_van and even got pulled during the very brief period before the clutch went in the C15. Never used cherry in any of my crap. Got dipped and sent on my way.

Doesn't cherry fuck up fuel filters and pumps, or is that hearsay?

If that was the case, I think a lot of farmers would be rather annoyed. Tractors ain't cheap to work on!

I think red diesel is precisely that. It's just diesel dyed red for identification.

If that was the case, I think a lot of farmers would be rather annoyed. Tractors ain't cheap to work on!

I think red diesel is precisely that. It's just diesel dyed red for identification.

I got told that farm machinery can tolerate the dye and cars can't. I'm now feeling a bit stupid.

I think it stains them so even if you go back to running on proper fuel there are signs you had cherry in the tank.

I bet a lot of farms etc don't have as good filtration on their pumps so that's probably where the idea comes from.

I got told that farm machinery can tolerate the dye and cars can't. I'm now feeling a bit stupid.

Well, there could be some truth in that. I.e. farm machinery is generally built a lot tougher than a passenger car.

However, from messing about with old XUDs and spending a lot of time with agricultural types, I've learned that diesel systems aren't a fan of contaminants in general (I mean stuff it can't burn, as we all know older diesels will run on almost anything oil-like as long as it burns).

So yeah, my rambling is mainly in order to say that yes tractors etc. probably are tougher than a normal car, but a diesel engine is still a diesel engine and won't like contaminants no matter what it's in. Thus the dye probably burns just fine no matter what diesel-powered vehicle it's lobbed into. I've heard the same as Hooli about it leaving traces behind too.

Heard a classic tale of some woman being pulled for running red diesel here in Northern Ireland. Ordered to pay the on-the-spot fine of £500 or the car was impounded. The woman rang her old man and got him to bring the £500 in cash only for them to dip his car and clobber him with a £500 fine too.

That said, I have a sneaky feeling there is a bit of a blind eye turned to people running on red here given the number of people that supposedly do and never got caught.

Heard a classic tale of some woman being pulled for running red diesel here in Northern Ireland. Ordered to pay the on-the-spot fine of £500 or the car was impounded. The woman rang her old man and got him to bring the £500 in cash only for them to dip his car and clobber him with a £500 fine too.

That said, I have a sneaky feeling there is a bit of a blind eye turned to people running on red here given the number of people that supposedly do and never got caught.

I would have to agree based on the number I work with who are doing mega mileage without being caught....

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Eeeerm, at your own risk then, dude. 5-0 are really hot on it near me.

Was stopped twice in the nob_van and even got pulled during the very brief period before the clutch went in the C15.

It's just white diesel with a dye, but the tanks it's stored in might not be the cleanest.

My wife's pal's dad almost completely ruined the engine of his Merc ML with a crafty tank of red diesel. Exactly how that came about I do not know.

Probably badly stored thus water contaminated, or something like that.

I don't believe a word of all this guff about red diesel damaging engines. I reckon it's just been stored badly.

I have a hunch this Red Diesel "do it you're doomed" stuff is a crude attempt to (lightly) discourage people cyphoning fuel from unguarded farm machinery (most likely is), not that said machinery should be unguarded. A few Hiluxes here on local farms are registered as farm equipment and it's legal for them to use red diesel just fine. Works just fine too.

I don't believe a word of all this guff about red diesel damaging engines. I reckon it's just been stored badly.

Have to say, I don't believe it either - otherwise, as alluded to upthread, a hefty number of vehicles on Northern Ireland's roads would have long ago come to a halt...

Organised crime round these parts is basically focused around laundering red diesel by removing the dye, then reselling it. Huge problem for HMRC, even more of a problem for the environment agency as dumped trailers containing leaky tanks of toxic chemicals are very messy and costly to process.

This lad here: found running a plant capable of processing 20 million litres of diesel a year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-29904916

This isn't just someone tipping a can of cherry from the site into their van to get them home. It's truly on an industrial scale.

https://www.agendani.com/fuel-laundering-waste-crime-in-northern-ireland/

It's now reached the point that 'invisible' markers (radioactive) are being used rather than dye, to try to track where derv sold for agricultural use is getting into the consumer chain.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/scientists-working-for-exira-men-in-south-armagh-unable-to-crack-new-diesel-marker-30284321.html

Red diesel ( up until about 5yrs ago iirc) used to have a slightly higher sulphur content than derv but thats changed and its exactly the same as white bar the die . It does however have another chemical in it that the customs boys can detect regardless if the die has been removed or hidden with waste oil . 

Tractors have pretty much the same Bosch/Lucas fuel pumps as cars and most now are common rail with adblue etc etc. Tractors do tend to have better multistage filters to cope with the dust and being filled from cans etc.

Funnily enough, HMRC reckons that it's removing the dye that causes bother, not running the dyed diesel:

2. Laundered fuel is red (or green) diesel, which has been filtered through chemicals or acids to remove the Government marker. The chemicals and acids remain in the fuel and damage fuel pumps in diesel cars.

But then, they would say that...