(n+1): a Haunted Rover production

Ghosty

I'd assume they've got some mix of

12v

Earth

Switched 12v trigger

Two pairs of wires that the relay connects.

If so the whole thing could be bypassed with two normal relays, a bit of wire and effort.

I'd assume they've got some mix of

12v

Earth

Switched 12v trigger

Two pairs of wires that the relay connects.

If so the whole thing could be bypassed with two normal relays, a bit of wire and effort.

Absolutely. Split it open and have a look.

When the C3 wipers didn't work it was the computer board by the battery. The two relays that were shagged had part numbers on them and were a couple of quid each.

All good ideas folks.

Looking past the relays for a while, I've been getting busy with other stuff.

I changed the ATF, and nicked the good Bosch spark plugs from the GSi.

I changed the front pads:

42765372330_ec7761ac14_b.jpg

and in the process, found the ends of the front wheelarch lips to be nonexistent. Took the mudguards off to find handfuls of wet mud behind them, the mudguards falling apart and in need of bodging to reattach. On both sides the mounting point for the middle screw on the mudguards had rotted away, and the top screw hole in both guards is also broken.
I can't imagine they'll be easy parts to find...

The wheel centres were painted:

43856844544_4b4bda7449_b.jpg

Rimmers have new ones for £3 but eh, not really worth it.

The shifter doesn't go into P, so I began to investigate that.

44525429512_3c2008ccb0_b.jpg

The issue seems to be at the gearbox end, as messing with the shifter end didn't yield any improvement.

I think the paint is going to respond well to a cleanup, a very quick effort with some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and very little pressure made a really quite noticeable difference:

43665438845_631ce53cb1_b.jpg

Finally...

42765363760_84c5d6d551_b.jpg

NOT AGAIN

Tappets done, running nicely now and a bit more power.

Tracking needs looking at.

Also, the radio wiring was spliced in with nothing more than sodding electrical tape: I pulled one of the wires to strip the end and a 5" piece just came off - some fucktard had cut the loom, twisted new wires on and taped over them. Glad I found that nightmare. 98547d102d604cd9903f5d561c2ae98a.jpgf6b6661d282d7245d8c6af8806b4a590.jpg

And the memory settings aren't working either, so it's only powered when the ignition is on.

Any sparky sorts able to help out?

Swap the perm live 12v & switched live 12v. Normally yellow (perm live) & red in ISO colours. Some cars have the feeds the other way around in the loom (I knew Vauxhalls did, I didn't know Rovers did too).

Aye - unfortunately the car wiring was non-ISO colours and I couldn't find a guide to it...

Chances are you've got four colours of wire & each pair of wires has one with a trace on?

Same colour wires will be one speaker, put a 9v PP3 on the wires & watch the speaker, you'll have them the right way around when the speaker cones 'pops' towards the inside of the car. You can identify the speakers at the same time (although I tend to just connect a pair to one output on the headunit & see where the noise is from).

The loom is nonstandard colours, whoever spliced it before clearly confused some of them. I'll have it all out again, maybe tomorrow.

Doesn't matter too much if you've got a voltmeter. You need a permanent 12v to the yellow lead in the ISO connector & a switched 12v live to the red. The red one supplies the ampage to run the headunit, the yellow is just for memory functions/clock etc.

Hmm I have a faint memory of being able to swap which wire is fed from a fuse in the ISO stuff I fitted years ago if that's any help?

It's one of those things that's much easier when you're there than try to recall & explain.

Old Man managed to fix the fuel relay over the weekend by changing the relays over from the Civic/HH-R box I had. Neat! No idea how he did it though.

In other news, I have cobbled together a front end out of some wings I bought on Facebook, and an assortment of bits of the GSi and GTi, until I can go and get some un-broken parts in a week's time.

Mismatched front end #1 (what's wrong with this picture?):

44804580331_0e09798bf0_b.jpg

Old Man managed to fix the fuel relay over the weekend by changing the relays over from the Civic/HH-R box I had. Neat! No idea how he did it though.

In other news, I have cobbled together a front end out of some wings I bought on Facebook, and an assortment of bits of the GSi and GTi, until I can go and get some un-broken parts in a week's time.

Mismatched front end #1 (what's wrong with this picture?):

44804580331_0e09798bf0_b.jpg

It needs a lad hanging out of the passenger window hurling obscenities at people waiting for public transport.

Radio in, and sounding good. Accessory fuse also needed replacing.

I wired the radio up as I found it - turns out the person that did it also wired it up wrong, front/rear and left/right are mixed up.

That can wait for another time. d6a525643824807cabf60026c4c06288.jpg

Looks like the Kenwood unit I had in my mk1 mondeo, the sound quality out of it was pretty good

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Facelift wing?

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

No, as you can see it's the correct short indicator piece, not the Daytona-style long indicator.

The body colour rubbing strips with black insert denote that the wing is from a 216/220GTi (these were rebadged GSi at the facelift - supposedly to lower insurance costs related to the 'GTi' nomenclature and associated culture etc). 416GTis only ever came in two-tone with grey bumpers and rubbing strips with red inserts.

The wings are a really nice colour, don't think I'd paint the whole car in it though. Much prefer the cool blue. 

Also, I have now corrected the radio wiring, two of the speakers were swapped over (front left/rear right, meaning the right side acted as the front, the rear acted as the right, and so on) and the constant and switched feeds were reversed. The radio now remembers stuff. My only niggle is that the radio doesn't have an option to regulate the input level on the auxiliary input, and it's a bit quieter than the radio and CD.

I don't have the manual but my dad used to have the same radio in one of his Civics so I'm pretty sure it's not there as I already know how to get into all the menus.