(n+1): a Haunted Rover production

Ghosty

• 3 weeks later...

Let's make this into a project thread, shall we?

A lot has been going on, so this will be a slightly concise post, but as we get closer to the present things will be in a bit more detail.

I started by changing the brake pads, and we all know how that went:

30938810628_8526f6e8ac_b.jpgFB_IMG_1537475506167 by max_burton, on Flickr

Whoops.

A new pair of wings were sourced the same day, and arrived a few days later. A blessing in disguise, as while the wings on the car looked saveable, it turns out that on removal, they were likely terminally shagged (inner edges non existent, and starting to rot straight through where the paint was missing) - however replacing them only cost £50, and got rid of 90% of the rot on the car.

It was promptly bent roughly back into shape with the assistance of an old lamp post that the local council can't be arsed removing - Old Man had a field day doing this. I suspect he'd wanted to take on something like that for a while as for the longest time he had an issue of Car Mechanics from the '90s detailing a similar repair on a Mk2 Golf.

44804580331_81660d9a86_k.jpgIMG_20180920_153927209 by max_burton, on Flickr

At the same time as the offer of wings, an offer of parts for next to nothing came up from Craig Cheetham, serial R8 hoarder (the payment ended up as giving Craig a lift to an eBay purchase: public transport isn't great in the Fens), and naturally I took advantage. The parts came from the other ex-Bramz R8, terminally rotten, but a veritable goldmine of usable panels and trim.

The leather interior is destined for a Henley Blue 216GSi - pure class.

This left the car much straighter, now three different colours, but solid and straight enough.

43431807060_fd267bd86d_k.jpgIMG_20180928_122620297 by max_burton, on Flickr

The car performed well on the 300 mile round trip, but the torque converter stopped locking up, and a misfire started to develop. This has been steadily worsening...

I added some luxury* in the form of a wooden heater panel that doesn't quite fit properly. It's from a bubble dash R8 or R3, but is identical. There's also a wanky black and silver version from the MG ZR, but that'd be shit.

44899016132_a6b8d4814b_b.jpgIMG_20180927_132819_842 by max_burton, on Flickr

The lack of P selection has been put down to a binding shifter cable as both the shifter and gearbox work properly independently of the cable. I just need to source a cable now, which I fear may be difficult unless I can pull one off a car myself or get another enthusiast to. I'm sceptical as to how easy it'd be to find a new one. Meanwhile my dad keeps drawing comparisons to the EF Civic sedan (an unrelated car in all but the fact it's a similar shape), he seems to think there's a chance a Civic cable could be bastardized to fit, but I'm not too sure about that without checking part numbers etc.

After the trip to the Fens, the car was found to be a bit down on power, with a slightly flat feeling power band, the car lacks the typical D-Series enthusiasm to rev. Also, the torque converter isn't locking up, and the already blowing exhaust has developed another blow at the manifold.

The fuel filter is original, the injectors likely need a clean, the cambelt is 15 years old (if not due on mileage), the water pump is unknown, and the head needs a full clean out and adjustment. Taking the head off also makes the oil filter much easier to access as it's under the inlet manifold and the only other access is from under the car, and doing it there is a PITA, you need bendy arms and x-ray vision. So that'll get done too.

The parts to do that have arrived, but I think they've sent the wrong fuel filter (this being the generally decent Autodoc, not ECP) - luckily these are a basic D-Series item as is the oil filter, and I know what they look like, so I'll get some from an ECP tomorrow when I go in for oil, carb cleaner and antifreeze. I'm thinking of getting a K&N air filter element too, as it'd go well with something else I'm ordering shortly.

Something else arrived too: 43431855300_c1d2af0daf_b.jpgIMG_20181009_145606_998 by max_burton, on Flickr

43431855480_80d9801c0a_b.jpgIMG_20181009_145609_976 by max_burton, on Flickr

8) the chance is there to drop the exhaust and measure it up, and I can afford to do it, and the exhaust is blowing, so why not? Besides it'll put the power up a bit, maybe back towards manual twincam levels.
Watch this space!

Let's go to ECP!

Fuel relay: lol nope

Old Man has admitted he put the less good relay in - moron. 'oh but I had to bridge a trace on the other one' yeah but it was more reliable?! And here I am with a car misfiring and FTPing?07b4676f1bb5c59928fb5c6fe26fedf6.jpg

No because he was in the car with me.

Summoned the mother who was luckily not far away, to get a lift to ECP. The relay cooled down and let the car start again but it's clearly banjaxed, so I'll bin the fucker and get a new one from the States. The relay I thought was in there can be put back in.

Old Man: 'I think you need to buy a new relay'. Really? Well I was going to when I had a bit more money but someone insisted I didn't...

Computer games seldom have Rovers in them. Forza has a very similar shape Legacy though: 72973ab6041a568e770758b1967c2c0f.jpg

I know FH4 (which is set in the UK :) ) added a bunch of British cars to the roster, including an FX4 taxi  :mrgreen: (and a Peel P50, I wonder if we will see model 70 invacars in video game soon? :) am I the only one that wants that? LOL )

After the disaster this morning, I took the car back home, took out the relay to resolder again (using a better soldering iron might help?), and did a couple of other things. Replaced the fuel filter, drained the oil, checked the torque converter lockup solenoid etc.

More to come tomorrow.