Peugeot 205 CJ - fixed and probably available for sells/swaps

Marm Toastsmith

It is a bit more peaceful, especially at the lock up. There is the Toledo that you could suck your teeth at as well. also the Raleigh.

Am around this weekend if ya want to pop over.

Sounds good, and thanks for the offer. I might have to play it by ear as to whether I've got time with family commitments etc though.

I'll get in touch closer to the weekend.

The little Peugeot is with my friendly local old-school back street mechanic this week. He's going to give it a basic service and do the cam belt. I have no record of one being done previously so I'm guessing the original's on borrowed time. I'm hoping it'll run a bit better with a new air filter, plugs, etc. too...

I did fancy going DIY but time is short, and there's enough little tidying and fixing jobs to do to the car to keep me busy, and besides, until the logbook turns up I can't keep it at home anyway as I need to get a parking permit. Next time...

I've ordered a new pair of speakers off eBay and a new rocker cover to airbox breather hose (I suspect that's where the oil all over the carb has been coming from). Also (as there's no spare) a can of tyre weld, plus a steering wheel AND a gear lever lock. I'd be upset if someone stole it...

Was going to try to replace the missing air hose - I think it's just to route warm air from the top of the exhaust manifold to the carb in winter, so it's not exactly urgent. There's a flap where it goes in to the intake which is currently closed anyway. Assuming I'm thinking along the right lines, does anyone know how this works? Is it thermostatically controlled? If it just stays closed, then there's no point in the hose anyway...

Was thinking of ordering a length of this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330853002941 to replace the original (just under the "15" in the image below).

index.2.gif

post-23518-0-57565900-1535756231_thumb.jpg

Trying to resist the urge to buy too much crap for it... eBay is too tempting. I fancy a better (period) stereo, a nicer (period) steering wheel, etc., but from experience I know that I'll just end up with a big box of bits that I haven't fitted and no money.

It hasn't broken yet, but it idles a bit rough and pops a bit on the overrun. Only needs choke at initial start, so I wonder if it's running a bit rich.

A friend's mum had one new, it always popped on the overrun. Many carb-fed Frenchies do, all part of the charm.

I always thought the quicker 1.4-engined 205s were the sweetest of the range, good buy marm!

A friend's mum had one new, it always popped on the overrun. Many carb-fed Frenchies do, all part of the charm.

I always thought the quicker 1.4-engined 205s were the sweetest of the range, good buy marm!

Cool... and yeah I don't mind the effect, especially combined with the blowing exhaust it sounds quite naughty... good to know that it's standard behaviour, rather than a sign that the car's about to let me down...

I've always wanted something with one of these 1.4 PSA motors, lusted after all the French warm hatches of the era - Visa and AX GT, 205 XS etc... Couldn't afford one at the time, or at least not one worth owning, and since then have mainly had more "grown-up" cars. But I realised from my Ka that you can't beat a light, small car for smiles. I've never really felt the need for a "properly quick" car - I bet a 205 gti would be terrifying these days - but this is quick enough to put a smile on your face. It's nice to be able to thrash a motor without fearing for your life/license.

The one in the black and white picture has letters on the cam cover too. Hand-built engines? All repaired with scrap yard parts? Some weird nineties modifying trend?

The little Peugeot is with my friendly local old-school back street mechanic this week. He's going to give it a basic service and do the cam belt. I have no record of one being done previously so I'm guessing the original's on borrowed time. I'm hoping it'll run a bit better with a new air filter, plugs, etc. too...

I did fancy going DIY but time is short, and there's enough little tidying and fixing jobs to do to the car to keep me busy, and besides, until the logbook turns up I can't keep it at home anyway as I need to get a parking permit. Next time...

I've ordered a new pair of speakers off eBay and a new rocker cover to airbox breather hose (I suspect that's where the oil all over the carb has been coming from). Also (as there's no spare) a can of tyre weld, plus a steering wheel AND a gear lever lock. I'd be upset if someone stole it...

Was going to try to replace the missing air hose - I think it's just to route warm air from the top of the exhaust manifold to the carb in winter, so it's not exactly urgent. There's a flap where it goes in to the intake which is currently closed anyway. Assuming I'm thinking along the right lines, does anyone know how this works? Is it thermostatically controlled? If it just stays closed, then there's no point in the hose anyway...

Was thinking of ordering a length of this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330853002941 to replace the original (just under the "15" in the image below).

index.2.gif

Trying to resist the urge to buy too much crap for it... eBay is too tempting. I fancy a better (period) stereo, a nicer (period) steering wheel, etc., but from experience I know that I'll just end up with a big box of bits that I haven't fitted and no money.

But I realised from my Ka that you can't beat a light, small car for smiles. I've never really felt the need for a "properly quick" car - I bet a 205 gti would be terrifying these days - but this is quick enough to put a smile on your face. It's nice to be able to thrash a motor without fearing for your life/license.

I agree entirely. There's that sweet spot in a smaller car range where you can really work an engine hard without going so fast the chassis is close to/over its limits, when the tyres and suspension aren't so wide/stiff normal speed driving on our iffy roads isn't unpleasant.

When I drove for Ford in my uni holidays, the Fiesta 1.4S was a much, much more pleasant drive than the XR2 - more fun, too - and just as quick from A to B.

Too much power can be as frustrating as too little, especially when a car isn't thoroughly engineered but specced to sell in a showroom.

I agree entirely. There's that sweet spot in a smaller car where you can really work an engine hard without going so fast the chassis is close to/over its limits, when the tyres and suspension aren't so wide/stiff normal speed driving on our iffy roads isn't unpleasant.

Yeah... I have wondered whether this would drive better on narrower tyres/wheels. Maybe I've just got used to power steering...

The one in the black and white picture has letters on the cam cover too. Hand-built engines? All repaired with scrap yard parts? Some weird nineties modifying trend?

Both of my 205s have letters written on there, too. I guess it must be a from-the-factory thing.

There's a mesh filter in the side of the air filter duct where that rubber breather pipe attaches- whip the duct off and give that mesh a good blast through with carb cleaner- mine was gunged up, and combined with an old and split breather pipe made everything oily in the vicinity.- just like yours.

With clean mesh and a new breather pipe your rocker cover will stay clean!

There's a mesh filter in the side of the air filter duct where that rubber breather pipe attaches- whip the duct off and give that mesh a good blast through with carb cleaner- mine was gunged up, and combined with an old and split breather pipe made everything oily in the vicinity.- just like yours.

With clean mesh and a new breather pipe your rocker cover will stay clean!

Great tip... thanks! New hose is waiting to go on.

Picked up the car from the mechanic's yesterday. He didn't bother to do the timing belt as apparently the old one looked brand new, as did the water pump. But he changed the oil and filters. I like him because he always talks me out of doing unnecessary jobs. He's cheap anyway, but it's nice to not have to pay for a timing belt when you've budgeted for it.

Took it for a decent drive in the evening. It's great.

Had a day off today so having picked up a parking permit for it I started working through some little jobs. Parking permit cheaper than expected. Small engines FTW.

Fixed the wobbly boot catch. Broke a vent which had been glued previously. Oops. Fitted new Kenwood speakers - much better, but the original stereo is low on one side even with the new speakers so I need a replacement really.

post-23518-0-57161200-1536860340_thumb.jpg

Also discovered water is definitely getting in under the dash somewhere. I probably need to clean out the scuttle area and check the drain holes are clear. A roll of PVC tape I left in the glovebox was soggy.

Gave it a good wash. Needed 3 buckets of soapy water to get to this point, car was filthy. Hosed underneath, arches were packed with years of mud and road dirt, need to get a jetwash on it really.

post-23518-0-27742500-1536860672_thumb.jpg

Polished one wing with Grandad's favourite Mer. Came up nice but the paint is thin in parts so I need to go easy...

post-23518-0-44389200-1536860747_thumb.jpg

Having polished the wing and failed to remove stubborn tar spots I took a clay bar to the bonnet. Worked a treat, although oddly some of it insisted on sticking to my fingers and was a pig to remove. I think maybe it reacted to the Mer on them. Or maybe its just old. Anyway... I just need to polish the bonnet now and do the rest of the car, am supposed to be looking after kids, or I'd still be out there!

post-23518-0-85210600-1536860834_thumb.jpg

I find a rag soaked with white spirit deals with tar spots well, rather than trying to polish them out 

Good tip this, just tried it and it worked a treat. Now I'm wondering if I need to wash these areas of the car again though. I'm not aware of white spirit damaging paint but the internet says I should wash it off... Neighbours would think I'm mad if they caught me washing it two days in a row. Actually they probably already think that.

FWIW I instinctively avoided the plastic bits of the car (of which there are quite a few). Not sure WS would do them any good.

J12 of M4....if you fancy a drive head on over and I’ll fire it up - got all the gubbins here - tfr etc etc... could give the engine bay a right going over...

Very good of you, it's a bit of a mission to get over there though. Might have a go with what I've got here first.

Bit late catching up with this thread. The missing air hose is to route warmed air to the intake system via a the fresh intake. There should be a summer - winter lever where it attaches to the intake side. Supposed to help the engine warm up in colder climates, but as others have said (and on the TU engined 205 I used to work on) it should run fine without it.

Good to see it has its original greyish-beige slam panel.

A CJ is on my bucket list, 37 tickets when you're fed up please.

Bit late catching up with this thread. The missing air hose is to route warmed air to the intake system via a the fresh intake. There should be a summer - winter lever where it attaches to the intake side. Supposed to help the engine warm up in colder climates, but as others have said (and on the TU engined 205 I used to work on) it should run fine without it.

Good to see it has its original greyish-beige slam panel.

A CJ is on my bucket list, 37 tickets when you're fed up please.

My current plan is to never get fed up with it but I've said that before. It's not a roffle (or a CJ for that matter) but if you've got the money this looks good:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-CTI/263909539210

I have to say that I like the simplicity of the CJ and its little carbed TU engine, but I bet a CTI would be fun too, and (as per GTIs) prices seem to be on the up. Shame I can't have both.

I have to say that I like the simplicity of the CJ and its little carbed TU engine, but I bet a CTI would be fun too, and (as per GTIs) prices seem to be on the up. Shame I can't have both.

All 205s and cars that share a variant of its 104-derived chassis are a hoot. Nearly bought a CTi about 10 years ago, clutch went on test drive and vendor wouldn't drop price. The 1.4s in warmed up spec are IMHO the best of the bunch - XT, XS, GT etc.

Sadly I can't afford the 1750 groats for that CTi, else I'd be on it like flies on a turd.