Peugeot 205 CJ - fixed and probably available for sells/swaps

Marm Toastsmith

Love these. I’ve had a spin in this and it’s flippin ace.

Just sayin though: I’ve been through your exact thought process. Had a van and got well bored with it, and when I got back into a little zoom zoom car it was the best thing ever.

Yeah... maybe I need a really cheap van so I can keep both.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Spring is on the way and the CJ has a fresh MOT on it...

Not had this for all that long, or used it all that much. 7 months and 728 miles... during which time it's been no trouble at all, and lots of fun.

Glad to have owned it, reluctant to sell, but general life plans including a house move mean that a little French convertible is probably not actually an ideal second vehicle at the moment. Besides, I keep wanting to buy something else, and right now I can't keep more than a pair of motors on the road. No way Mrs M will let me sell the CR-V and I have to admit it is bloody useful.

I might change my mind when the sun comes out again... but...

£1100 £999 is the get-in-early shiters price. That's less than what I paid for it, and if my past chod-owning experience is anything to go by it's bound to go up in value as soon as I sell it. I can't be bothered with eBay etc... but if I do I'll probably ask a bit more. You never know.

Good stuff: It's an honest low mileage car with very little rust, no filler or past MOT welding that I can find. Fun to drive, handles great, goes like stink for what it is, and has been reliable for me. Inexpensive to tax and insure so the thrills come cheap. The 106 XSI alloys are apparently "worth a grand". Dunno about that but they look nice. Roof isn't too bad and doesn't leak much at all. Tyres have loads of tread.

Not so good: It's a 30 year old Peugeot. A few non-essential bits may have fallen off over the years. Minor blow from rear exhaust (sporty!) Slightly lumpy idle - never stalls and not a practical issue but it might bother you. Slight knocking with steering on full lock. CVs? I think I read TADTS. Seats torn, dents, etc. Some small blebs if you look hard enough. Some water gets inside now and then but for a 30 year old convertible it stays pretty dry really. Tyres are hopeless budget tat.

In my ownership it's had an oil change plus oil and air filters. Also a new breather hose... I think that's it. Mechanic says cambelt looks "brand new" so I didn't bother. New Kenwood speakers which sound good - you can have the original Clarion stereo, I'll keep the Alpine. I have a touch in paint in the right colour (I think) and you can have the haynes manual which I've not ever needed.

Passed MOT with flying colours and no work required so it can't be all that bad. Had an advisory for a knackered CV boot, otherwise it went straight through.

Pics are from a while ago but give you a pretty good idea. It's a bit grubby now, I'll give it a wash and take some fresh pics at the weekend, if not before.

post-23518-0-63016800-1553026334_thumb.jpg

post-23518-0-29327600-1553026362_thumb.jpg

Just ran some errands in this - a bit of shopping and delivering some parcels to the post office. I love driving it, but I really want something with a hatchback. I keep using the CR-V due to it's practicality but I'd really like something smoll and handy. So with that in mind I've knocked £100 off the price. £1100 is now the asking price.

The good news is that a tweak to the mixture on the carb has improved the lumpy idle no end. Also the rattle mentioned earlier in the thread has been solved - the cause was a loose heat shield above the exhaust manifold - and the solution was some big washers to hold it in place.

Might be up for a swap or PX - I quite fancy an AX or some other small french hatchback... ideally something classic insurance compatible... 

I know, I've driven the car too and it fair nips along :)

Would make an ideal replacement for the Dolly and if you need any work doing I have been educating myself on these quite a bit recently as you know. Superb design with most jobs easy to tackle and I think this one is carb which removes the major potential hassle spot of the injection system.

Everyone should drive a 205 at some stage in their life just to understand how good a car's steering feel can (or used to be able to) be.

It was a revelation to me... and there's a very good chance I'll replace it with another 205... it becomes obvious why these were such popular cars as soon as you drive one. This one is keep fit steering which adds to the driving experience if not the parking.

As pointed out the 1.4 petrol is also a cracking engine, plenty of go and really cheap on fuel. Carb too + manual choke.

There's not much to not like about it, it's just that I commute by bike so mainly need a car for lugging stuff and kids about. I don't have enough excuses to use it.

I've bought something... need this gone really. So in the hope of a quick painless sale I'm reducing the price to a loss-making £999 (no offers).

It's a great little car with a full year's MOT. Perfectly usable as-is but plenty of opportunity to tinker, tidy and improve and if you're so inclined. Being a 1.4 it's cheap tax and also qualifies for classic insurance (costs me about £100) - it's cheap fun motoring.

If it doesn't sell on here soon I'll take a day out to clean it and take some photos, and attempt to get top dollar for it via the conventional channels. I wouldn't mind testing out the theory that it's easier to sell an overpriced car than a cheap one. But I probably won't have time for the next couple of weeks, so...

http://autoshite.com/topic/32885-peugeot-205-cj-%C2%A3999-years-ticket-n-london/page-4?do=findComment&comment=1774981

Did you take any more pics?

Haven't got round to it. I will at some point, but I'm promising myself I will give it a good clean up first. There won't be all that much to see that you can't see already. Use your imagination?

That should have been under the 'good' points.

Yes, I agree, really I meant expect old car feel/smell/noises/wear and tear. It's pretty good, especially for the money, but I can't be bothered to list every single quirk. Did I mention you can't set the clock? That the fore-aft adjustment on the drivers seat has a knack to it? Maybe not. Potential buyers should expect some more of that sort of stuff to either fix or ignore.

On a similar note lots of people have expressed interest "for their wife/mother/sister". Yes, it's cute, but be aware that it has no power steering, (and wide tyres), stiff windows, a manual choke, etc. The heater is OK I suppose, but I still find myself wearing a hat and gloves often when I drive it. Especially with the roof down. If I bought this for any of the women in my family I don't think they would be all that pleased. I think they'd think that secretly I'd bought it for myself... Of course, the upside of all that cuteness is that girls / women do smile at it / you when they see you in it.

Am I being a bit negative/grumpy?

Then I should add that this car is BRILLIANT. And a BARGAIN. Someone on here should BUY IT. Don't forget that it's DIRT CHEAP TO RUN. And LOADS OF FUN.

Basically every time I drive it I want to keep it. But when I leave parked up for a week I feel guilty that I'm not lavishing it with TLC and keeping it in a heated garage. It's costing me nothing really, but I don't need it at all.

Anyone?

Been washing, polishing, touching in stone chips and minor blebs and driving this around in the sun and have basically concluded fuck all y'all - I'm keeping it, at least until I absolutely have to sell.

post-23518-0-61305900-1555961773_thumb.jpg

Actually it's partly PBK's fault, he kind of talked me into it, after I kind of talked him out of buying it off me.

The plan was to sell it for top dollar (see link below). But after washing it and showing it some love, I love it much more and want to show it more love.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-MODERN-CLASSIC-PEUGEOT-205-CJ-1-4-CONVERTIBLE-FREE-PRIVATE-PLATE/352647346856

Also I'm just getting the feeling that these will rise in value immediately like all the "future classics" I buy and sell for peanuts, and just maybe this ticks enough boxes to make it the keeper. Imagine if I actually still have it in like, ten years time, when they are mega rare and (?) valuable. Just imagine.

I think it deserves a new set of mats. Oh, and has anyone come across seat covers that aren't absolutely awful? And maybe it's time for a new silencer...noisy or standard I wonder?

Gonna put it back on steel wheels and sell the alloys, too. Should hopefully pay for a new set of tyres, at least.

You won’t regret it, I think you would be struggling to find a more enjoyable car to drive for the money and they seem stupid cheap at the moment. Two on Facebook with long MOTs and ok condition (but nowhere near as nice as yours) for £600 and £500 and no bites yet after a week or so each.

You won’t regret it, I think you would be struggling to find a more enjoyable car to drive for the money and they seem stupid cheap at the moment. Two on Facebook with long MOTs and ok condition (but nowhere near as nice as yours) for £600 and £500 and no bites yet after a week or so each.

Bargains! I'd buy another if I had space... Won't be that cheap for long... Soon enough the rough and ready ones will get broken up... Very much agree re the driving experience - as a fun car I can't think of anything that would come close. Well, maybe a cheap MX5 (I very nearly bought one before picking this up) but then I wouldn't be able to chuck the kids in the back. And it would be more to tax.

Need to see if I can find a better colour match for the touch in paint. As you can see it's not perfect... What I used was WHITE / BLANC MEIJE EWT. Not sure if it's the wrong paint or just not a brilliant match. Can't find the paint code anywhere on the car...

post-23518-0-78021900-1555967069_thumb.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301736069799

Looks better in the flesh than it does up close in a photo though, much better than before, and pretty smart from a few feet.

The early carb ones like yours will be the ones that fetch the most money I think. The ones on Facebook have issues but nothing major that would stop you enjoying them/ use them as a base for a rolling restoration. I suppose the problem is that you can get a nice one for £1200, so a scruffy one at £5-700 would need a lot spending on it to get it proper smart so they seem to being broken but that won’t last long I don’t think. I think swapping your wheels back to steels would make it look more in keeping with the model. Money wise I thought the price you had it uo was a couple of hundred below it’s value but this place can be weird, cars ready to go can sit around for ages and then a shed will sell in minutes. To be fair I tend to lean more towards the sheds as my acquisition history proves!

Just got back from a 464 mile road trip around the South West with no issues. The little pug was great fun, comfortable, and totally capable...if a little noisy with the hood up. More sunshine please (it's much better with the roof open)!

Best of all, I brimmed the tank and have calculated I'm getting a smidge over 40 MPG, which is pretty impressive I think, especially as I was driving fairly enthusiastically and mostly on a-roads with lots of roundabouts and stuff. On a similar trip recently in the CR-V I calculated 22.2 (!)

I've totally fallen for the engine in this, it's really a peach. At some point I'd like another (tintop) 205 with the same motor. For me it's a real nice power/weight balance with just the right amount of go for an entertaining drive. It's not super fast, you have to work it a bit, but it goes as well as you need it to. There's more than enough pep to put a smile on your face, but thankfully not quite enough to scare you shitless.

Anyway, here's a slightly blurry picture of the car, somewhere in Devon, this morning. First person to see the sea gets an ice cream.

post-23518-0-96262600-1556406965_thumb.jpg