1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

9 hours ago, PhilA said:

That's a very long straight road.

Lots of trees.

Phil

actually it wasn't that bad - got twistier later

but yeah many tree - saw faiar few logging trucks - was on a roads mostly - trucks don't slow down do they :D and they don't do 56 like at home

overtaken by one on the freeway with cars on the back and I was doing 70 :D

nutters

route for tomorrow can go via atlanta and its 5 hours but the twisty alternative NW is only 45 mins more guess what im doin :D

more trees hopefully some toot to look at

will I get shot if elmer sees me photoing his tat :D

A lot of older trucks aren't limited, there's no regulation for them to do a set speed other than the company operating them- some bigger firms have limited their trucks to 65 to "save fuel". Flat out the older ones will do over 100 but the tires aren't rated for it.

Avoid Atlanta, the traffic through there is horrible.

Phil

Nothing more frightening than doing 75 on the interstate in a centre lane and have a big rig either side of you passing at breakneck speed. The box trailers have no chassis or under run protection let alone mudguards, Europe has a lot more safety precautions then a the states. 

Newer trailers are gaining side bars and mudguards but a lot of older stuff still doesn't have. 

You get used to it, the country is too big to have trucks doing 56 everywhere, also. Plus, most interstates are 2 lanes both ways so getting 2 trucks trying to crawl past each other is a recipe for significant angst.

Found manual. Found stroboscopic timing light.

20190917_193508.thumb.jpg.aa2ebeb2fb0542ae410bf99f61919dc4.jpg

Cleaned mile-wide paint off the pulley and did the grooves marked TDC (red), 3° and 6° BTDC in new paint.

Timing was nearly 45 degrees advanced. Previous owner had indexed plug leads one off. That's why the idle was lumpy.

It's now set to 6° and idles and revs freely. Funny, that.

Phil

7 hours ago, PhilA said:

Newer trailers are gaining side bars and mudguards but a lot of older stuff still doesn't have. 

You get used to it, the country is too big to have trucks doing 56 everywhere, also. Plus, most interstates are 2 lanes both ways so getting 2 trucks trying to crawl past each other is a recipe for significant angst.

Today I only saw that twice in 320 miles

On 9/17/2019 at 3:10 PM, PhilA said:

Ahh yes, Elephant racing.

My initial suspicion was correct. A bearing wasn't sat fully- the oil pump bearing I replaced. However, my method to attempt to remedy that was flawed, leading to busting the flange on the oil pump.

However, I think the flange wasn't straight anyhow looking at the way it sat in the end of the case compared with this one.

New pump gone in, factory spec- now with a 66 thou think spacing washer I have 35 thou of lash, so need to tighten that up about 30 thou.

20190919_194846.thumb.jpg.fb32ebe800da03ca39c8074f632b5f6f.jpg

Closest washer is 26 thou which would leave me at 11 thou lash which is within tolerance.

Ordering washer tomorrow

Phil