1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

Disassembly shows the volts gauge to be very Nissan Oil Pressure Gauge (it registers the presence of a voltage, not actually demonstrating in an analogue fashion how many are present though).

That's ok, I wasn't planning on using that one

The others are reasonable enough, they're within 10% of spec. I'm still in two minds as to the direction I'm going to go with them.

Phil

BINIs do that with the temp gauge IIRC

Most moderns do.

My ex's fester was setup so the temp gauge moved up from half just after OMGHGF! handy that...

I do like the HGF replacement on this.

Drain water, undo bolts, try and lift head strain back, bring in the 2 ton engine hoist burst the hydraulic lines on the engine hoist bring finally admit defeat and call in the local farmer for his telehandler, finally lift head, replace gasket, place head down, replace bolts, refill. suddenly notice you forgot to put the new gasket in place.

FTFY further :mrgreen:

The action of using a vehicle on the highway here is slightly different from there. Not much, but just enough to be strange from a UK perspective.

Item one- the vehicle VIN.

The VIN is the most important part of the car here in terms of licensing for use. Being as the USA is a Federal group of United States, each with different rules and nonsense, the VIN is a uniform way of identifying the vehicle.

Item two- registration document.

This document must be carried in the vehicle at all times. It indicates who owns said vehicle, who it's registered to for use on the road and proof of that is required to be presented to a law enforcement officer if they decide to stop and ask some friendly questions.

Item three- licence plate.

This is your local state identifier, issued by the government and property of them, too. You show them that you have title to the vehicle, have insured the vehicle and they issue a plate to affix to the vehicle that shows it's been paid up in it's home state for use on the highway. If you choose to cancel insurance on the vehicle the plate must be turned in. It bears the most resemblance to the old Road Fund "tax disc". It's just metal and square and goes on the back of the car (some states have two. Louisiana has just one).

Item four- inspection sticker

In this state it is required to have the vehicle checked for safe operation on an annual it biannual basis. A sticker is placed in the windscreen showing the inspection took place. Not all states require an inspection.

Item five- insurance

The vehicle in this state must be insured for use on the highway (not all states require this). A card with the policy information on just be carried in the vehicle in case of a law enforcement officer wishing to have a word. The vehicle is insured, not the operator. Anybody with a valid license and the owner's authorization may drive the vehicle, insured.

Item six- licence

In order to operate a motor vehicle you need to have proven a certain degree of prowess for the rules of the road. A written exam and a practical test are required to issue the stuffer with a licence. Must be carried in the vehicle being driven (see: law enforcement officers).

I wish to cancel insurance, so the plate must be turned in to the DMV.

Phil

Edit, item 7- title.

Ownership of vehicle. Keep it in your safe. Government receipt, in a way. No direct UK requirement because a receipt written on an old cigarette packet is adequate there. Not so here. Houses and cars require a notorized official document showing who owns them.

Item two- title document.

This document must be carried in the vehicle at all times. It indicates who owns said vehicle, and proof of that is required to be presented to a law enforcement officer if they decide to stop and ask some friendly questions.

I did not know that.  I have kept them tucked away at home on the basis that it shows ownership.  If the car is stolen with the title in it doesn't it make it easy for the thief to get rid of the car/raise a title loan?  Not that it matters for my heaps so i will put them in the cars.

I did not know that.  I have kept them tucked away at home on the basis that it shows ownership.  If the car is stolen with the title in it doesn't it make it easy for the thief to get rid of the car/raise a title loan?  Not that it matters for my heaps so i will put them in the cars.

Actually you are right, NyQuil talking here.

You need to keep the title at home and the paper registration certificate in the car. Not the title!

But it's where you see the TV and they ask for license, registration and insurance please.

Phil