1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

20200922_175256.thumb.jpg.6d12b41860559d76c24dc9c5dde0397b.jpg

Moved the battery to the boot.

20200922_160639.thumb.jpg.57c66eb725aa69610de370636ceb2cc6.jpg

That's tidied up the engine compartment nicely.

20200922_180627.thumb.jpg.d07cd32e2aa8a12875130d87a29f9afa.jpg

Under the back, hard lines complete, shoes adjusted and handbrake set.

Had noticed the brake flexi was a bit taut, find and fixed the reason. Left hand side of the axle wasn't properly mounted to the spring. 3 nuts, no lockwashers and it wasn't located on the centering dowel.

Phil

20200923_094213.thumb.jpg.23223377045bf1f6cfb265e4a6c24102.jpg

Some metalwork this morning. I pulled the passenger side spat bracket off, copied it for the driver's side, which was missing. Didn't fancy losing the spat on the highway.

20200923_095426.thumb.jpg.b50714b37fb28a1d03ffda82252098fc.jpg

Fitted up to the wheelarch.

20200923_095458.thumb.jpg.498822ac33ae827590606303601d9366.jpg

The spat now locates correctly on both ends, folds up and locks securely in place. Added bonus, it doesn't rattle when I shut the door now either.

Found one bad fitting on the brakes, replaced that after remaking the flare twice. That'll be why the old one was leaking then.

Got the brakes bled up, just need to clip the new battery wire up properly, attach the front grille securely and do a final adjustment on the front brakes then it's set for MoT.

Phil

• PhilA changed the title to 1951 Pontiac Chieftain - On The Road Again
51 minutes ago, hairnet said:

big white fiver (my grandad told me about those - buy cars with them :D )

nice one phil - enjoy the pottering about now

celebratory donut again?

IMG_20190914_080326.jpg

Maybe I'll get a celebratory donut, yes.

It's come a long way since that photo.

Only one incident in today's driving, going along and the oil pressure light came on. Gauge read above zero (about 20psi), looks like the sender quit. I'll check that tonight. For now the light is disconnected. That pressure switch has been unreliable since I got the car. 

Other than that it's good. Need to get a grommet for the gas pedal rod because I have a very hot foot from the air blowing through.

20200924_131706.thumb.jpg.1d7626373b875d502cdf2cc4ae4a54ec.jpg

Front suspension needs a refresh for sure, brakes are bedding in okay too.

55 feels like 75 though!

Phil

12 minutes ago, 2flags said:

Fantastic work. It must be so pleasurable to be able to cruise the highway in this.

It's fun to kick back and stick your elbow out the window and just glide along.

People have told me they're slow cars, I find its able to hustle along with traffic just fine.

Phil

...But I've absolutely zero interest in going to LA or California.  Everyone I know is clustered around Michigan, Iowa and one down in Texas.

Great to see it out and about.  Did you make some unprintable noise when you saw the oil light? 

I certainly did when the one in the Jag flickered at me the first time.  That was before I learned how low the hot idle oil pressure tends to be on these engines and that they usually had the warning light sender replaced with one set to something like 3psi.  The switch has since then died entirely so needs replacing anyhow...

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

...But I've absolutely zero interest in going to LA or California.  Everyone I know is clustered around Michigan, Iowa and one down in Texas.

Great to see it out and about.  Did you make some unprintable noise when you saw the oil light? 

I certainly did when the one in the Jag flickered at me the first time.  That was before I learned how low the hot idle oil pressure tends to be on these engines and that they usually had the warning light sender replaced with one set to something like 3psi.  The switch has since then died entirely so needs replacing anyhow...

I made an "ugh", and pulled over just to give it a once-over, then pulled the bulb out because the gauge made good pressure. It comes off the next gallery drilling along from the pressure switch.

20200924_180925.thumb.jpg.38d3a8daf18d371a1e5f8038c63ece49.jpg

Tonight we went to the drive-in and got milkshakes.

All in all a good day.

Phil

Had 5 minutes at lunch so I went out and had a poke about.

One oil drip mark under the car, crank nose. Acceptably minor

Oil is naaaaasty and needs to be changed.

It's otherwise holding coolant, oil and ATF

No wiring fault in oil pressure light circuit, the switch is DOA.

Need to get a stone guard for the flywheel, it's missing.

Cranked the engine over with the ignition off, was willing and happy.

Started it up, no knocks, clicks, clunks or other nasty noises.

Brakes are bedding in nicely.

Exhaust needs to be adjusted slightly, it's hitting the frame at the front.

Fuel pump is weak. Possibly need to reroute the fuel line, or insulate it because the pipe runs under the sump at the front and with that heat likes to boil and vapor lock before the pump. Thankful for the electric pump a few times yesterday. Think I might add a switch for it so I can put it on easily in traffic.

Otherwise it's generally pretty good. Happy with that.

Phil

Oil change this afternoon. Significant improvement, what came out had very little viscosity left.

Regular oil changes, I think- particularly as this stuff is flushing a lot of old crap out.

Did a calculation, half a jug of oil for an oil change, works out at about $9 for an oil change. I can afford to do that on a regular basis.

Phil

Today, I almost completed the list.

Coolant changed, now 50/50 antifreeze and distilled water

Manifold and heat riser gaskets replaced

Fuel pump tightened

Hard fuel lines replaced. Steel line to carburetor was cracked

Rubber fuel lines replaced with marine grade fuel pipe

Air filter gauze oiled and dish filled

Throttle pump needs looking at

Phil