1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

ah cool :) that also answers my question, if you where going to do anything about the exhaust manifold :)

im looking forward to seeing work on the gearbox because if nothing else, everyone iv asked in the past how does an automatic gearbox work, iv basically been told dont ask/its black magic  :mrgreen:

Good stuff. Sidevalve inline engines are generally very quiet runners, does it have a timing chain or constant mesh gears? You will not be able to hear it run most of the time, like my MO the only noise is the fan over 50 MPH, going downhill it increases in pitch so it sounds like a WWII fighter plane.

The other benefit of SV engines is they run for longer periods without needing adjustment.

I have discovered how difficult it is to match the paint. Also discovered that the blue used in the back door is a Krylon color because I saw it on the shelf.

I picked up a pale blue-gray for the windshield washer frame, and something moderately close for in the engine bay where the firewall needs to be rubbed down and repainted.

post-5454-0-87816100-1552845844_thumb.jpg

It's a bit rusty down underneath- while the engine and gearbox are out I'm going to treat and paint.

Phil

Today was quiet, overcast, cool.

post-5454-0-45895800-1552864967_thumb.jpg

Painted the screen wash bottle holder a much more appropriate color. It should be a mid gray, I decided on a pale blue-gray.

post-5454-0-73055800-1552864991_thumb.jpg

French Blue isn't a terrible color match so that'll likely be on there firewall just to cheer it up. I figured better that than red and white checker.

post-5454-0-76508300-1552865016_thumb.jpg

Rust treatment on the front frame brace. I'll let that dry and then it can be painted.

Phil

I had a bit of a discussion on the Blue about paint. I didn't think about it- I'm going to see if I can find the same color dark blue as the roof and paint the firewall that color instead. I cannot match the pale blue.

Plus this is good because it's not going to be a tidemark of not-quite against it, as that blue stops at the top of the screen.

Phil

Windtones were fitted to a number of smaller cars such as A30 and Morris Minor so searching for them as those cars should turn them up without added scene tax.

There are some on UK e-bay at the moment at £12/13 each.

Plenty people on here would get them for you and forward to get around the "won't ship to USA" problem.

(some might even deliver!)

Take the cover off. It's only held in place by a single grubscrew. There is likely to be a sticker inside with the voltage stated. This Pontiac would undoubtedly have left the factory with Autolite or AC Delco horns, high and lo note working together. I have a Clear Hooters low note here someone has pinched a contact from, I will eventually repair as it promises to be a real manly bellower.