1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

20200325_192043.thumb.jpg.55bf735132af5a519e80d1930fe04b1a.jpg

I took the passenger side tail lens off and stuck it in the ultrasonic bath to clean off the dirt.

20200325_193751.thumb.jpg.434c8dbd6316f5840e700e547e3e55d2.jpg

Buzzed it down as smooth as I could with a worn-out DA disc.

20200325_194207.thumb.jpg.4007189b6f02187bd55632176fe918c5.jpg

Washed it again. This time, wet, it looked better which is promising.

20200325_194448.thumb.jpg.eed7ed565880be9d42fc70ac7ceb1e15.jpg

Dried it off and gave it a first coat of lacquer and left it to dry.

20200325_194602.thumb.jpg.cda047778a46bd2d11f16e4ed0ae0d57.jpg

I also rubbed down the other lens and gave it a coat of red. Once that's hard it should rub down smooth and polish up nicely.

Phil

55 minutes ago, hairnet said:

camera needs shouting at

or threatening with replacement :D

sadly deep red is something a lot of cameras struggle with

as shown here on my Crompton military Ruby red 60W rough service lamp, (from what I understand used on submarines etc, at night so should the submarine have to surface, the crews eyes don't have to take so long to adjust to the darkness)

IMG_0119.JPG

its a very beautiful deep red colour (as the glass is made from very dark natural red glass)

but the camera utterly fails to pick it up properly sadly

The flame goes up into the nose recess on ohv engines due to the squish being directly above the piston and the direction of the gas flow. Sidevalve the squish is flowing across the plug and the flame goes predominantly past the plug, meaning it runs cooler and more deposits form causing a high resistance path of carbon to form, causing weak spark and misfire. That is very hard to clean and keep from happening so the plugs are a 3k item. Every other oil change.

Phil

3 hours ago, PhilA said:

That is very hard to clean

interesting I was wondering if its just carbon build up could the plugs be cleaned up and reused

I wonder if theres some sort of chemical solution you could dip the plugs in to remove/dissolve the carbon away but leave the metal electrodes intact?

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Would a soda blaster be any use for cleaning that crud off the plugs? 

Possibly, and it's a thought but the plugs it had were all varying degrees of bad and they're not done many miles at all. I think I'll just keep a spare set to hand. 

Looking at the previous things fitted to the engine, this looks to have been a particularly heavy breather and was probably really quite smoky. There was a lot of oily crap in the old filler vent. It should be a bit better on plugs now. 

Phil