PhilA

1951 Pontiac Chieftain - Tail Lights

Great stuff Phil, look forward to seeing how it progresses. 

What is the support and parts availability like for these?  I see Ames performance only does 1955 onwards but Rockauto have some service bits and pieces.

Straight eight eh? Whats not lo like? I love them. I remember riding in a Packard Straight Eight Limousine way back in 1953. It was a revelation to me that any car could run so smoothly and in almost total silence. Never forgot that day. A great purchase. Congratulations.

Great stuff Phil, look forward to seeing how it progresses. 

What is the support and parts availability like for these?  I see Ames performance only does 1955 onwards but Rockauto have some service bits and pieces.

Not bad because the oily bits are common across about 5 years of build, some trim bits are 1951 only so are eBay and scrapyard/breakers but they have a fairly good following and parts aren't that scarce. Engine bits are awkward, from what I tell but so far this one seems good, even the oil pressure is within factory specs.

Phil

As long as the Chief lights up, it doesn't need any interference with the wiring.

It's on the list of First Things To Fix.

Unfortunately the state requires it to have wipers and indicators and brake lights. So those are on the list also.

Phil

Right now it's a ten-footer! The eventual plan is to cut out and replace the rot. Thankfully the metal is thick and there aren't too many compound curves in the structure.

The Renault is officially for sale, though.

Phil

Yes, those covers are either going in the bin or I might put them on top of flower pots and use that combination to hold paintbrushes.

I figured that a better use for them.

Timing covers are on the side of the engine in SquireDawson approved fashion. Top of the engine is all spark plugs.

Phil

It looks utterly glorious - but are you anywhere near one-tenth as ohmygodwhathaveijustdone terrified as I would be?

if he was panhard maybe but as hes resident....... :D

you and martin have won this place

when you paint it is it staying the same y'all?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By 320touring
      A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, The Burd and I went to see the Skizzer to start getting a MK1 Golf Convertible that had been off the road for 10years..
      After a couple of sessions in deepest darkest Wales , coupled with some sterling help and fettling by Skizzer himself, it was time for us to head down and bring the thing back up.

This went well:
      New tyres were procured and fitted

The in-game tank pump was pulled out and a new filter fitted

Then I got in touch with my Inuit side, using brand new* magnets to undertake "tank shite" fishing

A full check over and a couple of test drives showed it fit to play.
      We set off for sunny Oswestry, only to have both front calipers sticking after 120 miles. Some water and time to collect down saw them free off and cause no further problems.

Upon getting just past Tebay, it started running rough - nicking into Todhills rest area and luzzing in 10L of fuel had it running bang on for the next 70miles before it died.
      This was the final scene on the way home.

I got to bed at 00:45, and left it to sit until today.
    • By dome
      This evening I venture forth into hitherto unknown lands (Kirkintilloch) to collect my latest acquisition.

Which, naturally, has issues.

I have purchased my first line of defence.

Which appears to have antigravity properties

More will follow this evening...
    • By Peter C
      Woke up this morning, had a little time before I had to leave the house for work, had a quick look at what’s new for sale on Retro Rides and saw an ad for a W124 200E manual, located 15 miles from home. I had no intention of buying a car today but I had to have it! I called the seller and arranged a viewing.

Faults:

2 x rusty front wings (TADTS)
      1 x rusty rear arch
      Needs a polish
      Tracking is out because new track rod end was fitted for MoT
      Engine has oil leak/s

Good points:

It’s a W124 200E!
      5 speed manual transmission
      New clutch
      Brand new MoT
      Superb MoT history
      4 x as new Continental tyres
      Last owner for 15 years, her husband before that for 4 years
      Very tidy MB-Tex interior
      Drives well
      All electrics work

The dealer kindly delivered the car to my house but I managed a pez station shot on route:

Plans:

Remove front wings, cut away rust and apply plenty of wob.
      In-situ similar repair for rear arch
      Clean and polish
      Service engine
      Adjust tracking
      Leave patina and enjoy the car as it is

I will update this thread once progress is made.

Hopefully these two will become good friends.