1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

post-5454-0-30214800-1549511525_thumb.jpg

Progress has been at a standstill recently due to puppy and kids and other household stuff, but tonight I went out (it's not all hot and muggy. Some parts of the engine bay haven't dried out since I pressure washed it, that's how saturated the air has been).

I jacked the car up a little, extended the crane out to maximum to see where it sits on the top of the engine when fully pushed in. It's close to plug 6 which is almost where it needs to be.

I pulled the crane out, twisted the handle of the jack and CLONK. Handle goes limp and it doesn't lower the jack. I push the handle down, slot a small screwdriver in the release UJ and lowered it down.

post-5454-0-34221900-1549511810_thumb.jpg

The disc with the square cutout has fallen off! Doesn't even show any real signs of having been welded on well. Looks like they ground it back a bit heavily.

Fired email off to seller via Amazon. Said the rest of it is fine, if that's covered just send a replacement lower half of the handle and I'll call it quits. Can't see why not, that's defective manufacture.

Huzzah setbacks. I need a welder.

Phil

There's a reason HF can flog you stuff like this at the price they do, and it involves QA being done on a tick box basis, in this instance the tick box is 'does the shipping weight of the carton correspond with the weight listed'.

The jack isn't from Horrible Fright. However, I agree. Some of their stuff is good. I'm impressed with the crane, to be honest.

Phil

Only way to keep the costs down, plus they learned that from wartime manufacture.

Seller of the jack offered $20 or a new handle. Accepted new handle. Learned neighbor is proficient at TIG. Might go have a word and get this one made workable while the new one is in the post.

Wife has been warned I need some garage time today. I think I shall stress the fact by changing immediately into glad rags, taking out the trash and making breakfast to try and balance that a little.

I would much prefer using straps than chain but chains are more adjustable.

(Making loops with bolts through the links etc)

As you have invested in the lift, invest in one of those lifting beams that allow the lifting point to be shifted about?

It's the weekend!

post-5454-0-69878100-1549736055_thumb.jpg

Also bloody cold today. Fired up the Coleman lantern for some heat and light. Started undoing the (all rather rusty) bolts holding the grille on. Only one broke.

post-5454-0-26036400-1549736075_thumb.jpg

Lifted the grille off. Looks quite different!

post-5454-0-40096700-1549736100_thumb.jpg

Had a "to hell with it" moment. Drilled out the rivets holding the stiffener bar in.

post-5454-0-10195800-1549736116_thumb.jpg

At this point I'm breaking for lunch.

More to come. I need to get the vacuum line out of the carburetor that goes to the distributor. That is going to be fun, it wouldn't budge last time I tried.

Phil

Top work, I imagine my B series replacement in the Oxford will be less heavy lifting..

How much weight is in the engine?

Are you going engine and box out in a oner?

Engine and box together are coming out. Next task is to undo the propshaft.

Together they weigh 860 lbs (390kg).

I'm going to split the box from the engine when they're out, hoist the gearbox up on the bench and rebuild it there.

Phil

Yeah. It's supported in the car at three points- one mount front center, and a mounting cradle at back that fixes to either side of the chassis.

I may make a little thing for it to sit on, it'll be good to run it before putting it back in, make sure it's all good while access is good.

Phil

Yeah. It's supported in the car at three points- one mount front center, and a mounting cradle at back that fixes to either side of the chassis.

I may make a little thing for it to sit on, it'll be good to run it before putting it back in, make sure it's all good while access is good.

Phil

Just don't try to catch it like Dollywobbler did with the reliant engine;)

You know, I have a mild fear of the back of the car. It's one area I haven't really gone under or around too much to de-spider.

I'm hoping the cold weather hangs around enough that they stay mostly dormant. I can almost guarantee there's still one or two hiding up under there. I found more webs today, brown widow. Those give a really nasty bite (read: hospital visit), and I don't much fancy that.

Phil