1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

20200113_212041.thumb.jpg.7c16521e2c90315aad1a51cbeebd432c.jpg

That's all the springs back on now. Next up is the rigamarole of setting the clearances.

That involves laying under the car, turning the flywheel by hand, getting up, looking at the position of the piston, making sure it's actually TDC and then setting the clearances.

Repeat x8

Phil

Rusty Fairlane distraction out of the way, I plan on getting back to this and reassembling the engine. 

However, in the interim I am having naughty thoughts about fuel injection and electronic ignition.

Somebody stop me.

Phil

Fairlane.  Here is a project that will cost you less.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/ford/auction-2478340847.htm?rsqid=1488e2ee74d641e19dca7ca6d40f4470-002

At your first show "where'd  ya git that crazy car, look where them put tha  steerin wheel, Was it a Friday afternoon Ford fella ?

And all the rest on sale in these parts, Some would be completely unknown to people there.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/CategoryAttributeSearchResults.aspx?search=1&cid=268&sidebar=1&rsqid=fe6775c1097d4ea68de9332c3b4c4d91-001&sidebarSearch_keypresses=0&sidebarSearch_suggested=0&14=Ford&15=Fairlane&21=&1=&minPrice=&maxPrice=&13=0&13=0&24=0&24=0&309=0&309=0&54=&searchRegion=100

14 minutes ago, paulplom said:

What's that metal, crescent shaped thing on top of the dash binnacle?

That's a traffic light lens. 

From the driver's seat, with the sun visor fitted to the outside of the car it becomes very difficult to see overhead traffic lights (the norm here) without leaning forward a long way. The lens gives a very wide upward view, allowing traffic lights to be seen from a regular seated driving position.

DELUXE%20TRAFFIC%20VIEWER%205_zpsqgiprgd

As above (library picture)

Phil

11 hours ago, PhilA said:

No, because the Megasquirt folks haven't figured out siamesed intakes, stating impossibru with port fuel injection

Phil

Surely it would be possible with a throttle body setup?  That's literally just throwing a fine mist of fuel into the intake.  Skoda used a TBi system on the 135 Rapid, and I'm pretty sure that has siamesed ports. 

A lot of folks disparage TBi systems but they can work really well.  Bonus on an older car is it's pretty easy to disguise most stuff in the engine bay too.  Generally won't require any irreversible mods either, possibly exception being maybe needing to drill a hole to secure the crankshaft position sensor.

Probably the biggest headache you'd have there is simply the length of the inlet tract...though having said that the displacement is enough that the gas velocity is probably pretty high so fuel condensation in the inlet manifold probably wouldn't be a huge problem.

It's definitely not something I would dismiss if you want to use the car regularly rather than just take it to the odd show.  I can't imagine that carb letting it breathe particularly well anyway (not that a flathead is ever going to be exactly efficient in that department), so you probably would see an improvement in performance too.

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Surely it would be possible with a throttle body setup?  That's literally just throwing a fine mist of fuel into the intake.  Skoda used a TBi system on the 135 Rapid, and I'm pretty sure that has siamesed ports. 

A lot of folks disparage TBi systems but they can work really well.  Bonus on an older car is it's pretty easy to disguise most stuff in the engine bay too.  Generally won't require any irreversible mods either, possibly exception being maybe needing to drill a hole to secure the crankshaft position sensor.

Probably the biggest headache you'd have there is simply the length of the inlet tract...though having said that the displacement is enough that the gas velocity is probably pretty high so fuel condensation in the inlet manifold probably wouldn't be a huge problem.

It's definitely not something I would dismiss if you want to use the car regularly rather than just take it to the odd show.  I can't imagine that carb letting it breathe particularly well anyway (not that a flathead is ever going to be exactly efficient in that department), so you probably would see an improvement in performance too.

That's part of the reason I am thinking about it- the intakes are very unequal length and the far end cylinders have a habit of leaning out at higher RPM. Having either an injector per port or a carburetor per port/2 ports would also work. That represents 550cc per cylinder.

The volume drawn is not huge in terms of CFM because the top speed of the engine is fairly low (3750 RPM) so a moderately small injector with a finer spray pattern would probably help. I was considering TBI because that would allow me to retain the hotspot but it doesn't address the runner lengths. From the port itself the Y split is visible so having an injector underneath pointing upwards towards it should work well enough (likely better than the carburetor).

Phil

18 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Interesting to see that (while the actual illumination source is different) that your heater/ventilation controls use the same sort of "floating" illuminated text

Yes. A single 3 watt bulb that illuminates a sheet of acrylic mostly edge-on, with the words cast in to the sheet, and the backs painted black and the text painted white.

The principle is sound and still used today, though nice thick plastic makes it look "jeweled", which is really pleasing to look at both illuminated internally and from an external light source.

Phil

On 1/17/2020 at 3:23 PM, PhilA said:

That's part of the reason I am thinking about it- the intakes are very unequal length and the far end cylinders have a habit of leaning out at higher RPM. Having either an injector per port or a carburetor per port/2 ports would also work. That represents 550cc per cylinder.

A straight 8 on ITB’s would be rather wonderful...