1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

20200404_174828.thumb.jpg.99b3e79c7738b75fb1249a0e4f1b6c90.jpg

I got really bad lacquer peel on this side of the roof. Tried having a go at removing the flaky bits and bringing it back to a stable edge.

20200404_205309.thumb.jpg.030896eeb28dac4cbb5f2818a06a2fcb.jpg

That didn't work. Trying to blend the edges is difficult because the clear is thick and the color is thin. 

20200404_205527.thumb.jpg.78a0acc292a103f275ca3b25919b0959.jpg

Experimentally laid down a bit of clear. Going to flat that back and see if it makes the edge any better. There's always going to be a color differential on this side, I think the car was parked one way round for a good while.

Phil

2 hours ago, adw1977 said:

Presumably the painted bars instead of chrome at the front are the equivalent of a grey grille and mark out the base model?

No, that will still have been chrome. My guess is it went rusty and they painted it when the car was repainted. See how the turn signals look all out of place...

That and the hood trim and headlight trims. 

You don't get the extra bits on the bumpers, the chief doesn't light up (just a solid casting), no side trim, dog-dish wheel covers, no fancy stainless trim inside, two spoke steering wheel with no horn ring, no reversing lights (someone added those, they're in the wrong place). Also 6 pot with manual gears.

VIN says so. P6US - assembled in Pontiac, Michigan, 6 cylinder, U (1951), Standard transmission.

They did opt for a few nice things in the cabin though; automatic dome light, heater, radio and clock.

Phil