1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

20 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Torturing the semiconductor with some HV?

I think its supposed to be their pet or something such LOL

3 hours ago, PhilA said:

20200520_152923.thumb.jpg.ea9cfb5da52bce1822a2094106ba3b82.jpg

The Analog Gang

it would be amusing to leave the googly eyes on there for the next person to venture into the radio to discover :) 

although I dont think the adhesive would hold up that long in such an environment!

20200523_120153.thumb.jpg.d55aae7040d78e80605f36aaed283575.jpg

Bag of pieces finally arrived.

20200523_131939.thumb.jpg.058490530377707ba4f636a2f9aeefd6.jpg

Rebuilt the main filter capacitor can- I had previously cut the bottom off and gutted it- basically 3 individual big, high voltage capacitors inside. The two chunky ones at the top are double the original capacitance (to help filter more junk off the HT supply of I decide to put a solid state vibrator in) and a little 25V 0.25uF K filter for the output stage.

20200523_150048.thumb.jpg.e01abc0002e0d9a9d53205651b81c22a.jpg

Fully rebuilt the new, upgraded 12V HT supply.

It also works.

Phil

30 minutes ago, mat_the_cat said:

Most people would replace the radio, a few would replace components, but this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone rebuilding a capacitor. I take my hat off to you!

seen it done a few times in vintage radio restorations etc now :) that doesn't make it any less cool tho! its done a lot of the time to keep things looking authentic/athesticly correct etc but another one I have seen is to leave the old electrolytic in place disconnected and tack in some modern replacements underneath but thats less impressive!

back about 6-7 years ago when I couldn't walk for about 6 months and as such was bed bound with nothing but a laptop, I binge watched so many of this guy's videos :) 

https://www.youtube.com/user/bandersentv

36 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs...but it's worth checking what maximum capacitance the rectifier valve is designed to handle.  If it's too large it can overstress the rectifier.

No, totally valid. It's a .005 1600V, with a 15k resistor in series. Original spec for the rectifier. A lot of people overlook it.

Phil

2 hours ago, Jenson Velcro said:

Holy smoke (or hopefully not). I haven’t got a clue what’s going on with all this sorcery and witchcraft, but it sure looks impressive.

It's fairly straightforward. The thing is broken down into 3 main sections:

20200524_080529.thumb.jpg.50e37afa0d3d1bc0629794aaecd04abf.jpg

Red- High voltage power supply.

Green- The actual radio part that collects the signal and turns it into something useable.

Purple- Power amplification to send the signal out of the speaker.

Just like anything electronic or engineering, it becomes more simple the more you break it down.

Phil