PhilA

1951 Pontiac Chieftain - Engine bay

Car is sitting on the driveway. No pictures because it was lashing it down with rain. I pulled the Renault up alongside and put the jump leads on. Would it start? Would it buggery. Click crrnnnnn. Turn over half-assed.

Eventually got it running, cleared the road, backed it up down off the trailer and into the driveway.

Just drove to town and dropped the trailer off at U-Haul.

330 miles round trip, 15.1mpg (18.1UK).

Worn out. Need to fuel up the truck. Feels like a sports car to drive now. Running smoother too, guess it needed a good long run.

post-5454-0-41610400-1535851672_thumb.jpg

View in my mirror all the way home, a stern looking chief.

post-5454-0-98749000-1535851730_thumb.jpg

Dropped off the trailer in town.

post-5454-0-01605100-1535851767_thumb.jpg

Long trip and it's still not over...

Update later when it's light.

Phil

Oh, and a tidbit to chew over while I sleep.

Leaning under to unhook the chains tonight I noticed that 1) it's on lowering blocks 2) the front springs are either cut or heated to be lower and 3) it has air shocks but I'm not sure if only at the back.

Phil

If my Rocket 88 was anything to go by, it was probably originally on lever arms..........and may still be at the front........judging from the pics, it's sits well as it is.

'51 should be proudly teleshockers. I could see from 4,700 miles away that it's slamt. Air shocks are only available for the rear.

Entirely btw, mine was beige with a grey roof. Originally from Illinois it was rotten as a pear, but my Indian lit up!

Thanks God no MoT was required on cars like this in Belgium 25 years ago, otherwise no hoonage would ever have ensued.

It was difficult to judge, sat where it was. Looks like a 2" set of blocks at the rear and the front lower arms are horizontal so about the same at the front. Service manual doesn't give "height from the ground" as a measurement.

I'll have to drive it for a while to reserve judgement. It may end up raised up, it may not.

Initial views underneath show a moderate proportion of the body has been coated with the vehicle's built in corrosion protection.

I need to get it up on the ramps at work and start having a poke.

Indeed it's telescopic dampers all round.

On the outside it smells like my old man's Sprite (old oil, old grease, other engineering smells). This is a good thing. Also, someone has cared for it at some point in the past. The kingpin grease points at least are caked with glop and dirt.

Back to bed (it's 3am).

Phil

mississipppppppi plate ftmfw

what part of looeesee aaaaannaaaaa is that west countree accent from :lol:

can i ask a stoopid q - the steering column - whats the small tube parallel to it

Ha, still got the accent after eleven years here. The second small tube has the gear shift mechanism inside it.

Phil

Oh, and big mystery yellow* canister is probably your washer fluid reservoir which normally has a vacuum system stuck on top for the wipers, at least if the videos corvetteben on Youtube has done on his 58 Cadillac are anything to go by.  The line running to the fuel pump could well supposed to run to the carburettor instead and is just routed to the wrong place.  For fuel filter, look under the car for a metal one strapped to the chassis somewhere, that seems to be the norm, as does not having one at all anywhere.

Vacuum wipers!

Memories of a Ford Prefect I'd rather not remember.

Best of luck with those.

A 4.4l straight 8 has a better chance of being on a trailing throttle than a 1.2 4 pot. :D

Those wires are doing me a scare.

They're giving me teh fearz as well. Fire extinguisher and a BFO battery switch required until that lot's chopped out.

It's been on and off but it's hot today, 100% humidity.

I took it for a quick spin down the street. Feels like the gearbox to the accelerator linkage is not adjusted correctly because it was revving way up high before changing gear.

It also sounds like I have a crazed castanets player under the hood. Valve lash is on the books but it looks like access is crappy because that's under the manifolds.

Another thing on the list. I need to buy some grease and a new oil can. This has plenty of grease points, with a 2000 mile regime of adjustment and lubrication to "retain the inbuilt value".

Phil

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By richardthestag
      Been a busy 6 months on my old Range Rover that I own 50/50 with Fathathastag

Bit of background first..

We bought it March 2015 just as genuine early Range Rovers were starting to get noticed. Alas not early enough that we could have got it for a couple of hundred quid. 

The car had been owned for decades by a Land Rover enthusiast and this particular car retained a lot of features unique to pre 1973 Range Rovers. Sadly he died a few years back and the car was left outside the front of his house. 

I spotted it on eBay and arranged with the owners widow to view. There were no bids and my offer was good enough to take the auction off.

The engine had been part way through a top end strip down when work stopped, I had no idea even if the car would move. But rented a trailer and relocated it from Watford to North Devon where fathathastag has a barn suitable for storage.

The project is on the right, we towed it into the field and pushed it into the barn

In May 2015 I got to do an assessment of the car. body wise most outer panels were ok, the inner wings looked ok, it clearly needed some work but was unsure how much at this point. main objective was to see if the engine was a runner.

Found that the gearbox and axles were original to the car, but the engine was from an earlyish SD1

while the seat covers are not original some of the plastic kitkat seat coverings are underneath, the rear seat especially

The head has some nasty corrosion very near the fire ring seal, 

When I refitted the head one of the bolts tore the thread out. bastard but not entirely uncommon with the alloy blocked RV8

• By JoeyEunos
      Greetings all.

After lurking here for a short while, frankly liking what I see and enjoying the various shite, the site has well and truly struck a chord with me. I'm a serial buyer of ropey sub £1k vehicles, don't have to but genuinely enjoy it.

I feel like I might (Just might) have found my 'spiritual' home here

I've been posting across the web on owner specific forums (Usually using either my JoeyEunos or RandomPrecion handles) for a while now, but from here-on-in I will pull my threads together and merge them here into one ghastly topic.

My current steeds...

Lupo 1.7 SDI

SAM_5560 by

and the work/story so far...http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/102863-joeyeunoss-sdi-beater/

Golf Mk4 SDI

SAM_5531 by

and the thread.... http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/597074-project-slow/

Early (1989) Mk1 Eunos (This one was recently sold)

SAM_4656 by

the thread...http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=213274

Other shite I've owned and moved on in the last year include this ropey Passat...

SAM_6011 by

and this legendary £300 Fiesta Finesse...

Festa by

Cars I'd like to own/actively looking for in the forthcoming weeks/months/years...

Rover 75 (Dizzler)
      Peugeot 405 (XUD)
      Mk1 Octavia (Estate/dizzler, pre pd or SDI)
      Honda CRV (Gen1)
      Volvo 240/850
    • By strangeangel
      It seems like it's time to have a new thread dedicated to the on-going progress (or otherwise) of the Beige BX, without people having to trawl through pages of stuff about the original purchase. All that malarkey can be found here. The new thread will make it easier to change the title as required, too.

For works completed to date in the old thread go here.

Today's progress at SF17 was MEGA. Much work was carried out on the fuel system by Joe and many of the assembled Shiters; the fuelling problem finally being cracked when Joe fitted one of the Pleasure Wagon's clear fuel filters!

There was a stuttering journey down the ramp...

Fuel was added... and it ran!

A quick ride round the campsite revealed that the spheres are completely shagged, as the suspension was entirely bereft of travel. On the plus side, there are two new spheres in the boot. Dead chuffed to see it run, and have a go at piloting it across the field, though

It's headed back to Castle_Cleland after SF, after which we need to have a think about the best way to go from here.