1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

20191218_161310.thumb.jpg.e630d25aee4ed9904f12c86196c524ea.jpg

I bought a new valve tool because the lapping of the second exhaust valve was taking a little long by hand. Pulled one suction cup off.

20191218_161901.thumb.jpg.f1847fa69dfd017898768306e83d10d7.jpg

Made an adapter out of a screwdriver tool.

20191218_164325.thumb.jpg.0f97c51b0d1ea967c1a9edbbe67de36a.jpg

Gently wizzed it down with the drill. Not the correct way but it is a quick way to remove deep scoring of the seat, finishing up with light pressure by hand.

20191218_165114.thumb.jpg.3d6767cf886a5ae282ce7aee6be6f443.jpg

I pulled the valve out to inspect- it's worn a deep groove in one side and has hardly touched the other. That's no good.

20191218_172412_1_1_1.gif.06da1b6b19e43393f0d28e0cd68cfc0e.gif

Out with the dial gauge. Aw, crap. Hadn't noticed before that there head was bent.

Even without the dial gauge you can see the head has a wobble in that animation.

There's no signs of mechanical trauma so either it was manufactured bent or wasn't heat treated correctly and has gone bad in use.

Either way it's junk and needs a replacement.

I'm going to pull all the valves out and check them, then see if any others are unserviceable.

Phil

Sadface. If valves are available at a reasonable price it might be as well to do the lot. Pain in the bum though.

I'm reminded of the trouble the oldman had with a BMW R80; it was purchased for cheapness because on test riding it the offside header was glowing a cheery red colour, assumed to be a sticky exhaust valve. Off with its head, the valve did indeed look sticky so a replacement was fitted and lo, exactly the same problem, glowy header and out with the toasting fork and crumpets. Bums. Head scratching and navel-gazing followed, then random fiddling resulted in dropping the carb float bowls, revealing about an inch of claggy water. Eureka! Clean out the bowls and functionality is restored!

1 hour ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Sadface. If valves are available at a reasonable price it might be as well to do the lot. Pain in the bum though.

I'm reminded of the trouble the oldman had with a BMW R80; it was purchased for cheapness because on test riding it the offside header was glowing a cheery red colour, assumed to be a sticky exhaust valve. Off with its head, the valve did indeed look sticky so a replacement was fitted and lo, exactly the same problem, glowy header and out with the toasting fork and crumpets. Bums. Head scratching and navel-gazing followed, then random fiddling resulted in dropping the carb float bowls, revealing about an inch of claggy water. Eureka! Clean out the bowls and functionality is restored!

The rear 4 show signs of having run hot so that may just be it.

Valves are available but at $15 each I'm just gonna replace the bad ones.

Phil

3 hours ago, GBJ said:

All of them then?

No, though the deposits show a lean mix the first valve at the back is straight, and after cleaning lapped in perfectly and moves just fine now.

I'm hoping it's just a one-off. If the weather picks up a bit this weekend we'll find out.

Phil

20191222_134009.thumb.jpg.5102f17e5939a064b3f8ad71abf851e9.jpg

Block looks bare now. Seats all look pretty good.

20191222_134000.thumb.jpg.0e1cf9baadfba2205dba80558c94df09.jpg

All valves cleaned up. Collets, springs, spring houses, hats and bases all need cleaning- I did 2 sets then got fed up having my fingers in gasoline. I'm thinking about getting an ultrasound bath.

But, only one valve is bad. I'm guessing manufacturing fault. 

Phil

I'd say 3 litres is the smallest ultrasonic cleaner I'd want for automotive stuff.

IMG_20191016_202042.thumb.jpg.782939056d90e06396675bc2b59fc1da.jpg

Got this one a couple of months back.  The power with which it agitates compared to the little jewellery ones is quite astonishing.  This is big enough to get most things you're likely to need cleaning in this way in, though bigger items like a carb body may need to be done in two halves.

I think the cost to usefulness ratio in a normal garage drops off much bigger than this.  Obviously if you're working on old cars every day your usage case might change...but got general use I think this is the best sort of size to aim for.  Big enough to be useful but not stupidly expensive.

Determined not to believe you might have been ultrasonically cleaning cheese.

3 litre? Okay. I was figuring by dimension I could fit the carb in a 2l one but 3l isn't that much more. We had a 3l one at the airport for doing fuel screens and such. It was quite expensive in terms of solvents.

--Phil

I'll grab the tank dimensions tomorrow.

That photo was just the first "plug it in and make sure it doesn't explode" test.

I've just put the solvent through a strainer to get the worst of the gunk out of it and it will be reused.  The worst of the gunk settles out pretty quickly.

Obviously if you're doing something really delecate you'd use fresh...but for most stuff like this you should be able to get a few cycles out of it.

15 minutes ago, PhilA said:

20191224_202156.thumb.jpg.a33e851adafcbb332a575dc61a82f445.jpg

Happy Holidays, y'all.

ohh nice! :) 

may I suggest for next year setting up some C6 christmas lights in keeping with the period/age of the car? :) 

(or at least some proper C7's/C9's, I still need to get a box of 25 or 50 C7 bulbs for my 2 C7 sets, I had em up christmas 2014, and ended up going through 24 of my 25 spare bulbs LOL and that was with the variac set to 110V to try and extend the life a little)

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

ohh nice! :) 

may I suggest for next year setting up some C6 christmas lights in keeping with the period/age of the car? :) 

I'll try. I have C6 bulbs outside on the tree, they pop like firecrackers if you switch them on and off a lot then rattle them around in boxes. I replaced 8 after putting them up and 2 more have burned since.

I'll try get a set of C7's in pretty colors- often after the holidays they go on sale.

Phil

7 minutes ago, PhilA said:

I'll try. That involves finding a set.

Phil

indeed! thats why id accept C7s or C9s :) (as I know that C6s are pretty rare these days)

just anything other than LEDs really! LOL, cant beat the warm glow of incandescent christmas lights :) 

I do actually own the british equivalent of a C6 christmas light set that @egg very kindly donated to my collection

image.png

Note its a set of 12 instead of set of 6 like a US C6 set :) (also rather erroneously described as fairy lights on the box!)

image.png

but It too also needs some new bulbs, and C6 replacement bulbs aint cheap!

C6? quite surprised you found replacement bulbs in stores!

they dont have more do they? LOL

another issue with most of the modern replacement C6s I see on ebay is they are clear lacquered bulbs, rather then proper opaque spray coated or internally coloured ones that I much prefer for C6/C7/C9 christmas light sets, Bah humbug LOL

what I also really "need" to pick up is a proper full sized Festoon with a load of coloured GLS light bulbs :) 

9 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

indeed! thats why id accept C7s or C9s :) (as I know that C6s are pretty rare these days)

just anything other than LEDs really! LOL, cant beat the warm glow of incandescent christmas lights :) 

I do actually own the british equivalent of a C6 christmas light set that @egg very kindly donated to my collection

image.png

i was scrolling down as i saw that and saw disco fairy lights :D

phil if santas come down your chimney do you know anyone with a shotgun :D

merry christmas yall