1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

As a rugrat the kitchen had a cuboid radio with a big dial on the front perpetually tuned to Radio Scotland; it was powered by a PP7 or possibly PP9 which never seemed to need changing. In those days it was essentially radio 2 with a scottish accent, Jimmy Mack spinning discs and dinner was eaten to the sound of 'Take the floor' with Robbie Shepherd, or 'Eastern echoes' which to this day I associate with dinners I don't like, even though I can't remember what the dinners I didn't like were.

Google search suggests it was a Boots Supertone 7, like this only black rather than red.

post-9424-0-55945300-1554342669_thumb.jpg

post-9424-0-05555800-1554342696_thumb.jpg

Normally I would agree. The legs aren't wound on, but there's plenty of through-hole and to-chassis connections that I am a little concerned my iron won't have enough heat in for.

That and there's a bunch of resistors that need the two components above them removing before they can be liberated.

There aren't too many though, no.

Phil

You made me go look for radios.

I recall having a radio in the kitchen as a child. Grundig Party Boy (what a name).

Phil

The Irish grandparents had a 208 version on the kitchen windowsill for as long as we went visiting so at least 35 years

Uncle Shay might still have it somewhere

found out that the radio the gparents had and think shay still has was a yacht boy

which insane people on ebay want 75 or 90 quid for :o

phil may i ask - would it be possible to have something posted from GA to philtowers please

catfish and sweet potato pie and other southern delicacies as payment (and gratitude)

thanks yall

$53 in new parts.

Still need to grab another radio of the same vintage to thieve a power transformer from.

This

Phil

What you needing? Just seems worth asking as it's quite possible I've got stuff in stock you'd be welcome to. Postage for small stuff over to there isn't too bad really (unlike posting this way!).

Good example of how old stuff stops working properly. These two resistors are an important part of the oscillator circuit.

post-5454-0-31355700-1554691191_thumb.jpg

6.8 MegOhm - blue gray green

post-5454-0-55544800-1554691376_thumb.jpg

On the Meg scale, reading about 1.5 Meg (blue arrow, top measurement arc)

post-5454-0-43801000-1554692205_thumb.jpg

This claim is backed up by the digital meter

post-5454-0-59878000-1554691582_thumb.jpg

Moving along to its neighbor

post-5454-0-31327200-1554691621_thumb.jpg

Orange orange yellow - 330kOhm

On the 100k scale, needle around about 470k.

This radio wouldn't have worked worth toffee.

Phil

Roll On.... :/

I'm planning to fit my 'plip locking kit' today :)

12v live wire

Ground wire

Control Open

Control Lock

Common Ground

.... try not to set fire to anything.

*I have a 12v test screwdriver + croc & a meter, so going Loaded For Bear lol

Correction >> preliminary venture into Cable Jungle :( phale!

Muchho loombindings mean industrial strength crowbar wielding to exhume my traces... Doh :/

I caught 'Goldfinger' on the tellybox the other night; nice nixie counter on the nuclear bomb at the end.

Close! It's actually a light pipe based incandescent display. Uses clear plastic sheets with etched digits on one side with a lamp mounted to either the side. Visually very similar and unlikely to be told apart other than by a display tech nerd...like me...as they look very alike.

Big giveaway? Colour. If it's white it's not Nixie based.

Have seen them in a few bits of test gear but never as widely as Nixie's. Easier to drive, probably a bit cheaper...but more power hungry, hotter running and of course less long lived. No use where having a digit potentially failing could be a safety issue obviously.