1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

I rode in an elevator that had etched side-lit numbers in a little window for the floor you were on.

That's the only time I've ever seen them in use. They have one advantage over nixies, and that's intensity of the digits- neon ionization reaches a maximum useable limit quite quickly.

On the other hand, the clock I have has one really neat feature- it uses PWM to change the intensity of each number: net result is each digit can fade into the next. Watching at a slight angle is mesmerizing because the numbers jump back and forth as they change.

Phil

I failed a long time ago at repairing a vibrator-supplied car radio The vibrator had extra contacts for synchronously mechanically rectifying the HT. I think I remember it being a Phillips. Very large and heavy, must have cost a fortune to make. Lots of lead and lots of cadmium.

Most excellent. eBay just lightened my wallet again. 12V variant of the radio (Buick fitment) won. Shipping thing reckons it'll be here by the 15th.

post-5454-0-11578600-1554814148_thumb.jpg

It's been a long while since I bought a "bid" item, normally I hunt for the BiN items because I abhor bid sniping software.

Phil

That's not too bad. Just do it one component leg at a time and you will be fine.

If the leads are all wrapped as well as soldered I would just snip one leg, solder the new one in, snip the second one, solder replacement in.

Component count is low enough it shouldn't take too long really.

What has helped is sitting down, going through the parts list, identifying each bit and getting a much better idea of where what part of the schematic is on the chassis.

The next thing is this one's 7C5's for the AF stage, which are Loctal base and a different pinout to 6V6's.

Why would you want to transpose pins and have it so that if you plug a 6V6 in (like it says is a valid option) that the heater is across the plate and cathode pins on the 6V6?

How silly. That would be very very bright for a fraction of a second...

Phil

All this talk of old radios has made me wish I'd stayed awake during electrical and electronic principles at college.

Even if I did stay awake I doubt I'd remember relativly obscure stuff from 1982 :(

I do remember sniggering at "thermionoc emissions" then I glased over, thinking I'd never need or want to know about valves.

I did stay awake long enough to work out v=I x r ,but that's about it....

Btw, great thread :)

Well, more fun trying to determine what tubes I need to get; 14C5 for the power output stage.

Spent a bit of tonight sitting down comparing the two circuits.

The 1956 circuit has been economized a little (probably in the name of reliability- a transformer is more reliable than a vacuum tube), the tone circuitry has been minimized down to a capacitor and a variable resistor and the phase inversion circuit has been replaced with a center tap transformer.

The tuner potentially looks to be identical, so hopefully if this frame is in better shape it may be able to be transplanted.

We shall see!

Phil

All this talk of old radios has made me wish I'd stayed awake during electrical and electronic principles at college.

Even if I did stay awake I doubt I'd remember relativly obscure stuff from 1982 :(

I do remember sniggering at "thermionoc emissions" then I glased over, thinking I'd never need or want to know about valves.

I did stay awake long enough to work out v=I x r ,but that's about it....

Btw, great thread :)

Lol 3 years later and all I can remember is 2πfl. Inductive resstance something something. Oh and 1/ 2πfc, inductive capacitance something something.

I've found the transmission overhaul manual for this particular gearbox variant.

Sitting reading through it, it's quite the complicated contraption. I think best things first will be to hook the engine to the crane, wheel the assembly outside and clean the outside of it thoroughly with degreaser and a toothbrush.

The manual repeats over and over and over CLEANLINESS INSIDE THIS GEARBOX IS VITAL.

I understand that, but evidently a single particle of dirt can cause havoc.

Fun times

Phil

post-5454-0-46244900-1554937948_thumb.jpg

Tonight we are back to the oily bits, if not just for a short while. Weather's a little warm right now compared to how it was Sunday (9c Sunday, 27c today).

This evening was spent making it all a little more clean. I need to get some proper engine degreaser, rather than using carpet shampoo...

Phil

Radio overshot and checked in all the way up in Memphis, TN.

post-5454-0-97193600-1555120063_thumb.jpg

Could be worse; that's FedEx's southern hub.

post-5454-0-05895300-1555120180_thumb.jpg

Tonight I had a little time so restarted on stripping the engine back down again. Turns out someone actually forked out some money- the starter motor is stamped 12V.

post-5454-0-81599300-1555120279_thumb.jpg

Thorough cleaning has begun. Gearbox so it's clean to take apart, engine so it's clean to paint.

Phil

So I check the tracking on the radio and FedEx have had a sudden bout of efficiency. The delivery date had changed from Monday to 2:53am YOUR PACKAGE IS ON A TRUCK FOR DELIVERY TODAY

Typically today I have to go to town with the missus to go shopping for upcoming wedding.

Oh well. It's due to rain. Hopefully they'll leave it tucked up in the porch out of the weather. I might leave a plastic bag for it with a note.

My life, reduced to a scrubbing brush and checking FedEx. Woo.

Phil

I arrived home from shopping. There was a box waiting.

post-5454-0-31150400-1555207658_thumb.jpg

Fragile fragile fragile! It states.

post-5454-0-97878100-1555207679_thumb.jpg

Pop the top of the box open. It's like Christmas.

post-5454-0-29004900-1555207701_thumb.jpg

Looks in pretty good shape overall.

post-5454-0-38225500-1555207734_thumb.jpg

Popped the back off on the bench. All looks pretty good, but oh, what's this?

post-5454-0-95045000-1555207763_thumb.jpg

One of the power output tubes has succumbed to FedEx.

Shame, but I hadn't planned on using those tubes anyway. The tuner, as suspected, is the same and is in good shape. Serviceman notes on the top "Pops on and off". Bad capacitors, then. Notes show it was purchased in 1956 by a gentleman by the name of Snyder in Pomona, CA. That would explain the lack of rust then.

More to follow!

Phil

Pulled the front off also.

post-5454-0-00965400-1555209831_thumb.jpg

Similarities in the design become apparent. Simplification of the design to save on parts, also evident.

post-5454-0-75938300-1555209878_thumb.jpg

Looks like it went into the radio shop for repair and never left. It's got all the original Delco Radio capacitors inside.

There's a few subtle differences but overall this be good. I think the tuner coil housing will be being transferred also.

Phil

post-5454-0-31275700-1555281055_thumb.jpg

Thermionic glow.

Powered it up gently and we do see B+ of 220 Volts so that part of its working. Without this tube though- nada.

post-5454-0-35426000-1555281364_thumb.jpg

For those of you who want to see what the inside of a 12V6GT looks like.

I also redact the blame of FedEx- there was a spider inside the tube, all crispy and read. That's been broken a while...

Phil

post-5454-0-40341100-1555301362_thumb.jpg

Radio scrapyard begins. That's big old tin of spam there is the power transformer. Unfortunately I'm going to have to carefully undo it because there's a big paper capacitor inside that needs to be changed (that particular one is known for going up in smoke, in that position in the circuit because it never gets changed).

I looked and I think the two chassis are actually interchangeable in the frame. Must resist putting in the simpler one because it's simpler to work on...

Phil

Hmm. Two schools of thought on the design of the circuit. Perhaps the later model isn't such a bad design after all. Lower quiescent current, for sure.

Now I'm torn. I may swing the new chassis in there after all. More research to follow. The power transformer had to come out regardless, for that capacitor.

Phil

Okay, doing a little reading and the choice of circuit design makes sense now.

The '51 is a higher fidelity design (haha on an AM radio) with a phase splitter circuit driving the output transformer in AB1, which ultimately gives good frequency response, down to the speaker and output transformer choice being the deciding factors on how it sounds.

The later version uses a phase splitter transformer. This provides very low input impedance so you can drive the tubes in class AB2 and really push a lot of volume- make it loud at the behest of distortion figures. Which, in the application of car audio doesn't really matter.

So

Design 1 runs a bit hotter but technically is a a cleaner circuit. Circuit 2 robs a little fidelity to provide punch.

I don't need a loud radio. Phase inverter tube circuit it is. Particularly with high quality input such as Bluetooth. I need to check if the loudspeakers are the same impedance because the '56 sounds better than the '51, I think being stored in a drier environment has helped the cardboard cone to stay more supple.

Phil

That whole post could be complete psuedo science nonsense and I literally would have no idea.

I suspect Phil might be well be trolling us by posting nonsense and waiting to see if anyone sports it. I believe this may similar to what cool internet kids call "smurfing"

I KNOW YOUR GAME MATE.

Edit; LBF or SiC may know but are probably in on the joke. IT'S A CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU.

^^^ ah, Radio Nerd Alert.

I'm slightly in awe... During WW2 young lads yomped about carrying 'field radio packs' and being very important for allowing rapid *effective deployment of assets.

Fixing #hit like this, in a wood/in the rain, miles from anywhere was like Voodoo...

Came home and promptly sent rockets/aircraft off to blue horizons & built electric guitars/amps.

*footsoldiers have their own opinion of High Command.