1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

I'm having a think about that yet needs to be completed to make the car run.

The gearbox bands have to be set with the engine running, in gear, against the brakes.

I'm thinking I should be able to put the propshaft back on, turn it through 90 degrees and have it force itself against the floor?

The engine generates 230 lb/ft of torque at max throttle at 2000 RPM. The gearbox will quadruple that in first gear, the prop is about 6' long. I'm thinking that's going to be about 150 lb of force at the end of the shaft max which should be enough to be stopped- it's not set at maximum torque anyway, just high idle (700 RPM).

Then cleaning and painting. Steering box.

Engine refit.

Rewire.

That's pretty much it. Not a big list but one with some fairly in depth requirements each.

Summer may still happen.

Phil

Surprised that the original finish wasn't Black Crackle Finish.

Still "Vauxhall Viva la Difference!" as they say in Luton...

No, just plain black. Don't forget, most of that will never be seen, only the chrome bits stick out of the dash, the rest hides behind the big circular grille in the center of the dash.

I need to make up a foam rubber shroud for it also, to direct the sound out of the grille,

Phil

That's a hot mess; is it susceptible to having a sub board made up to replace some of it?

Possible yes. Any real point to it, no.

It's internally arranged in a fairly sensible way, it's just going to be difficult to pick apart and remember what goes back together where.

I'm glad I have a digital camera.

Phil

Yup. If nothing else for power consumption.

That radio draws 7.1 amps at 6 volts.

My little portable Roberts transistorized radio from about 15 years later it's still on the same PP3 battery I put in it last year. It's meant to have a PP9 but you can't get them here. A Silver Seal carbon PP9 would run the radio for about 3 years.

It still works, even after having been dropped.

Phil