Driver friendly features in old cars

pompei

After the driver unfriendly features, how about things you don't see which you miss?

I'll start with foot operated dip/beam switch as found on early Minis

Double sunvisors as in Saab 9-5 where you could turn one to stop glare from the side window and behind it was a second visor for the front screen. Genius.

Side hinged opening rear windows in two door cars.

Toggle switches on the dashboard.

Visibility. Most modern cars have such huge A/B/C/D pillars and small glass area that you can't see what's around you with ease. In some cars the interior rear view mirror is about as much use as a back pocket on a sock as the rear window is so small. Granted the huge pillars do help in keeping the occupants safe in the event of a naccident.

And column shift, that’s died a death nowadays. Does anything still have it?

I think some American and home-market Japanese stuff still has these on autos, last UK market car I knew had a column shifter was the Espace Mk 3 or Toyota Previa Mk2 but only with the auto in terms of regular cars, maybe Rolls-Royces still have their column selector?

I do like a manual column shift, but they are a pain in the arse when the links wear. Nearest thing we get now is the dash mounted shifter.

Bench seats. In fact, seats that are soft and comfortable. Moderns seem to be fitted with church pews!

And column shift, that’s died a death nowadays. Does anything still have it?

Properly comfy seats are seemingly impossible to get in modern cars so this and visibility answer this thread for me.

Visibility. Most modern cars have such huge A/B/C/D pillars and small glass area that you can't see what's around you with ease. In some cars the interior rear view mirror is about as much use as a back pocket on a sock as the rear window is so small. Granted the huge pillars do help in keeping the occupants safe in the event of an accident.

Fuck yes, I loathe the tank-driver feel you get in many modern cars. Does wonders when you are looking for bikers (as a biker myself!). 

Simplicity.  I miss simplicity.   The Cowley has rear lights designed to shed illumination into the boot space.  Honestly, its not crap design or cost-cutting!  It really is a feature - says so in the brochure.   Also - non-automatic interior lamp.   Do you want to see inside in the dark?  Turn the light on then.  You won't forget to turn it off because you can still see.   I can still remember my Uncle flattening an admittedly-time-served Hillman Minx battery by leaving a front door open all afternoon on a picnic.   He was used to a Morris 8, you see.....damned moderns even then.

Simplicity. I miss simplicity. The Cowley has rear lights designed to shed illumination into the boot space. Honestly, its not crap design or cost-cutting! It really is a feature - says so in the brochure. Also - non-automatic interior lamp. Do you want to see inside in the dark? Turn the light on then. You won't forget to turn it off because you can still see. I can still remember my Uncle flattening an admittedly-time-served Hillman Minx battery by leaving a front door open all afternoon on a picnic. He was used to a Morris 8, you see.....damned moderns even then.

Mx5 uses the number plate lights to illuminate the boot

Top of my list, something resembling an engine looking out at you when opening the bonnet, round headlamps, orange indicators with at least a nod toward fit for purpose, hubcaps, metal bumpers to protect vulnerable bodywork rather than deleting vulnerable bodywork and substituting cheap plastics that are a challenge to repair, asbestos, brass radiators, monkey metal housings / manifolds, two tone horn to gain the attention of pedestrians for sexist / racist / general verbal abuse, and could I have running boards also.

A dash with SEPERATE dials!!!

hate it when summat dies on a newer car and you have to swap the whole bloody thing!!!

Love my old Dolly with Smiths gauges....also swapped a Dolly dash into a mini...bit of trimming by the end vents and it looked pukka...most things wired straight into the original mini terminals too!!

After the driver unfriendly features, how about things you don't see which you miss?

I'll start with foot operated dip/beam switch as found on early Minis

Double sunvisors as in Saab 9-5 where you could turn one to stop glare from the side window and behind it was a second visor for the front screen. Genius.

Side hinged opening rear windows in two door cars.

Toggle switches on the dashboard.

The double sun visors are among the many, many things I miss about my 9-5s.  They also had the best cupholder ever.  And the best seats.

General mechanical simplicity and access - not single cylinder or anything stupid but an engine that you work on without plugging in a laptop and access where you don’t need to move to Chernobyl for twenty years in order to have appendages that will in the stupidly small spaces.