RIP- DMB graphics period 80s/90s plates

HMC

5 minutes ago, HMC said:

Lovely! Amazing how tricky it can be to get a reliable source of period 80s/90s plates. The lame “must be replaced with 2001 font” mantra that was around for some years didn’t help matters.

It is tricky. There are two other suppliers I’ve found since DMB stopped and Retro Plates is not only higher quality, but much friendlier, quicker, and more helpful than the other two. He is more expensive, but you get what you pay for with this sort of thing.

I think its a peculiarity of people like "us" that we spot the wrong fonts on cars. Makes me chuckle when i see fully "pro" restored cars from the 70's and 80's with £19.99 worth of cheap motor factor plates on in the new font, even worse with the blue GB stripe. Look wrong and i want to gouge an eye out.

And don't get me started on plates mounted on the piss. I spent many years working for prestige dealer groups and got a reputation for sending cars back to workshop after some sloppy wet wipe mounted plates miles out of line. Even worse was drilling through the tailgate/bootlid with self tappers when there was a factory fitted m6 hole in the correct place. Animals....

Re: plates on the pi$$

Anyone else travelled behind unmolested/factory fresh cars and thort.... 

Is that model tag/series of numbers badge following the 'slight tapered bodyline trend'... (*sagging) or is it Really On The Pi$$?

#some Fords [that you might see loads of] have demonstrated a 'factory wibble' TADTS..... I believe they were once stuck on with a guide, aligned to the panel edge >> Friday Afternoon roberts likely these days ;)

Plates on the piss really bug me.  Recently fitted some new plates to the wife's new car.  Match drilled the holes with the old plates.  Put them on and the plate's on the piss.  On closer inspection the original dealer ballsed it up and I had replicated the mistake.  Wife hasn't noticed but it grates on me occasionally.

On a different car I used fancy plates for a correct 90s font but definitely didn't get them to leave all the post code bollocks off because no one can prove when the plates were put on the car and it was legal when the car was made.  I know some people love the original dealer logos but the simpler the better for me.

6 hours ago, LoftyvRS said:

I think its a peculiarity of people like "us" that we spot the wrong fonts on cars. Makes me chuckle when i see fully "pro" restored cars from the 70's and 80's with £19.99 worth of cheap motor factor plates on in the new font, even worse with the blue GB stripe. Look wrong and i want to gouge an eye out.....

The previous owner of my CX objected to having the plastic post-2001 font plates on it, so he bought a pair of pressed metal plates and solidly glued them over the plastic ones. They're still like that today. I'd get the job done properly if I could, but I can't access the mounting screws....

On 6/18/2021 at 2:42 PM, tooSavvy said:

Re: plates on the pi$$

Anyone else travelled behind unmolested/factory fresh cars and thort.... 

Is that model tag/series of numbers badge following the 'slight tapered bodyline trend'... (*sagging) or is it Really On The Pi$$?

#some Fords [that you might see loads of] have demonstrated a 'factory wibble' TADTS..... I believe they were once stuck on with a guide, aligned to the panel edge >> Friday Afternoon roberts likely these days ;)

Used to get that a lot when i ran a car fleet in the 90's, you'd send a Mk3 Cavalier into the bodyshop for rear end damage and they would stick the brand new bootlid badges in completely the wrong place, and this was a Vauxhall main dealer bodyshop so they were surrounded by new Cavaliers as templates! Lot's of them went back to be rectified as well.

Makes me laugh when folks are adamant that the cars wearing original unmolested paint and the badges are the wrong side or in totally the wrong place, and extra bonus points if these cars have a generic motor factors plate on the bootlid and the original dealer plate on the front - "nah mate it's how it was new....."

Sorry if this has been covered before and I didn't pay attention, but is there anyone left who can do the raised plastic letters?  @bicycle repairman has ONE such plate for his Cortina, therefore needs a matching one for the front.  Please help, he's got to get rid of those awful black abominations!

21 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

Sorry if this has been covered before and I didn't pay attention, but is there anyone left who can do the raised plastic letters?  @bicycle repairman has ONE such plate for his Cortina, therefore needs a matching one for the front.  Please help, he's got to get rid of those awful black abominations!

Tippers vintage plates

https://www.tippersvintageplates.co.uk/

and Framptons  plates

https://www.framptonsplates.com/

both do raised plastic digit plates :) 

and im sure there are probably a couple others out there

or you could even make a set yourself :) 

https://autoshite.com/topic/41229-homemade-retro-number-plate

The ‘600’ badge on my bootlid was badly on the wonk. I’m guessing it was stuck on like that at some bodyshop as I can’t believe it left the PDI like that.

I rectified it by fitting a secondhand bootlid complete with badges. The replacement bootlid has overspray over the rubber buffers which shows the donor car had had its bumper painted at some point. The bootlid has some chips and scratches (the car it came off had done 170k) but is many, many times better than the original (see pictures above).

And yes, the replacement badge is stuck on straight, and after cleaning all the greenery out from around it, it looks pretty good.

• 1 month later...