RIP- DMB graphics period 80s/90s plates

HMC

I think it's quite simple really, I used to watch my dad make them in a few mins back in the 90's. His motor factor gave up on them because of the paperwork vs financial reward.

was it just sticky letters over some kind of jig /spacer...i know the modern ones print it already on the background but hasnt always been like it

so these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPECIAL-OFFER-10-x-Number-Plate-ACRYLIC-BLANKS-Reflective-5-white-5-yellow/143056813049?hash=item214ed9bbf9:g:B7kAAOSwzGBb6exs:rk:2:pf:0

plus someone that cut letters to sereck /ye olde font 

then a diy roller ?

Various methods of making them over the years but my local Ford dealer used to manually position the characters then sandwich them between backing plate and clear front.

In hindsight they were rarely perfectly spaced, which is why I think modern computer-produced replicas don't look quite right, even with a close match on the font.

When I made them, you started with the reflective. 

The letters were transfers that you applied to the reflective. 

The acrylic was self adhesive on the reverse edge. 

You then lined the reflective up with the acrylic and rolled it through a mini mangle.   

If you managed to line up the parts up, it came out of the mangle all good. 

If you managed to line it up wrong it came out on the mangle all minging.

Back then you didn't need a Log Book.  You were supposed to transfer on the mini BSAU mini transfer, but TBH, most of the YTS of the day forgot, or as we say, CBA.

I followed a car today down the A14.  I would say it was circa 2016 model, the cherished reg had been carried over as the plate was 1980's 'full fat face font', it did look strange to me, but I suppose many folk would just not notice.  The legislators forgot about that loophole scenario with the fancy regulations.   

I've got some 'full fat face font' plates of one of my cherished reg's , tempted to plop them on for the cars first MOT (2016 model) just for the crack, see if my tester notices and gives a four x.  

Seems like a good a place as any to ask, will DMB make me custom window stickers if I provide em with a high-res scan?

Got this:

46666170392_99dd74c036_h.jpg

Which after a bit of sleuthing turned out to be this:

31826139207_e2061503af_b.jpg

Which is my scan of a very old sticker I managed to get off eBay, however it's a regular sticker not a window sticker. Or will any old signmakers do this? One of the boys at work is quite pally with the company who signwrite all our vans, might ask them.

I used to make plates using various methods.

As I have written elsewhere, pre RNPS regs I made some truely horrific monstrosities in the name of "show plates".

I doubt very much that there is any profit to be made churning out pre 2001 style plates to a closed internet community mostly made up of the legendarily tight and/or terminally skint.

Even if you don't get caught and bummed.

Also, it takes a bit of practice to do it right so initially you would be throwing away as many as you sell.

We only got pulled up once. Local plod were following up on thefts of plates from parked cars and asked to see the records of the replacements we had made.

At the time it was all on paper. An A4 sheet filled in for every plate.

We pointed plod at the bulging filing cabinet full of hand scrawled sheets.

"It's all there, knock yourself out".

They gave up after about 5 minutes.

I can't remember if it was at the start of the thread but what's the big drama about people making plates for old cars that look slightly different and more than likely 99% of people will never notice?

I think it is to do with APNR stuff and the introduction of speed cameras.

It all happened around the same time and the newer font makes more of a distinction between a D and an O for example.

The industry was a total free for all and anyone could buy or make a plate for anything. No questions asked.

I'm quite convinced that some of our more shady customers made the number up on the spot as they were ordering a pair of plates.

To combat crime, ringing, false plates to avoid speeding fines etc. it was decided to wrap the whole thing in red tape.

Number plate suppliers have to be registered else Big fine / jail.

If manufactures supply plate material to non registered companies - Big fine / jail.

If plate suppliers make dodgy or false plates or fail to check documents and IDs and keep records- Big fine / jail.

• 1 year later...
On 1/15/2019 at 8:08 PM, Isaac Hunt said:

I followed a car today down the A14.  I would say it was circa 2016 model, the cherished reg had been carried over as the plate was 1980's 'full fat face font', it did look strange to me, but I suppose many folk would just not notice.  The legislators forgot about that loophole scenario with the fancy regulations.   

Full fat pre 2001, with a pre 2001 number,
Anyone asks, ive just used the original plates again rather than get some new ones made

121044320_1569722259882672_80301124772030498_n.jpg

I’ve still not really found a similar standard / quality as DMB. A while ago there was someone advertising something similar on e bay, and one time I had a contact of @fordperv’s do a set for a mondeo st24 (dagenham motors natuellment) but for instance if I wanted a snazzy set with dealer logo for my shed of a 97 passat now I don’t know where I’d go.

Slight thread drift but DMB have been expanding their dealer sticker back catalogue and it’s worth a browse on their site as they’re expanded that bit of their online shop a lot. Heavily ford focussed (ahem) but also Vauxhall,  Peugeot , VAG and others

1 hour ago, HMC said:

I’ve still not really found a similar standard / quality as DMB. A while ago there was someone advertising something similar on e bay, and one time I had a contact of @fordperv’s do a set for a mondeo st24 (dagenham motors natuellment) but for instance if I wanted a snazzy set with dealer logo for my shed of a 97 passat now I don’t know where I’d go.

Prestige Plate Sales on Facebook. They’re the best I’ve seen for pre-2001 plates.

I'm having some fun with my number plates.  the rear has the supplying dealers logo on (which i cant find anywhere on the net) and is of one style, the front is another style.

no matter which typefaces i try, none of them match perfectly with either plate!

so, 1992 car, which font should i have please? and any ideas where i might find an original dealer sticker?

all help greatfully recieved!

Lee

IMG_6169[3320].PNG

IMG_6183[3324].PNG

@groovylee During the 1990s rover group stuff sometimes had that curvy font that the front plate has. The closest I’ve found to that Is on the fancy plates website- if you you go to show plates pre 2001 font there are 3 choices ( a / b /c) and one of those is very close to what you have on the front.

for the dealer sticker try DMB graphics (online shop)They can often make new stickers using the old ones they have on file as templates, or if you send a good photo (as I did)

22 minutes ago, HMC said:

@groovylee sorry I’ve also added a bit to my post about DMB graphics for the dealer sticker thing.

thanks for that.  I'm still struggling to find anything Wadham Kenning though.  i'll keep plugging away.  unfortunately i dont have the dealer sticker to take a pic of, but im sure i'll find one somewhere :-)

19 hours ago, HMC said:

@groovylee During the 1990s rover group stuff sometimes had that curvy font that the front plate has. The closest I’ve found to that Is on the fancy plates website- if you you go to show plates pre 2001 font there are 3 choices ( a / b /c) and one of those is very close to what you have on the front.

for the dealer sticker try DMB graphics (online shop)They can often make new stickers using the old ones they have on file as templates, or if you send a good photo (as I did)

The "6" on my plate is the style you will get from Fancy Plates if you go for the pre 2001 (c I think it was) its close, though no cigar.

• 8 months later...

My Rover had nasty modern plates on it when I got it, and the rear one was delaminating as well.

7A8D2F6B-BF01-40A2-9E25-A1DFE89AB328.thumb.jpeg.2c57119ba4a3c5a0b52ec2659187184e.jpeg

50154509-07F3-4783-ACCE-017C6024202B.thumb.jpeg.4606b5c2e3b74d3e62e6231bee59ef9f.jpeg

I’m unsure who the supplying dealer was, but it’s a North West London registration. My old 45 came from SMC Rover (Uxbridge) and had dealer plates on it. 

Using pictures of the 45 plates, I had them replicated for my 620, by “Retro Plates” on Facebook (not sure if he advertises them anywhere else). He can be contacted at retroplates[at]hotmail.com

They’re £60 a pair so definitely not cheap, but the quality is very good and the font is pretty much spot on. He can do a variety of different fonts and is very friendly, quick and easy to deal with. 

Theyve made such a difference to the look of the car (along with the replacement bonnet and bootlid, another story) I’m very pleased.

E190A594-6600-4933-9A6A-5390EEB640B5.thumb.jpeg.a1c75a80d2975001666a101ec011c40e.jpeg

BD216663-4F3C-435B-80B7-D1DBEEDC056C.thumb.jpeg.372bc96109376fb3cf6e767a5404304f.jpeg

DE3E811B-5372-4A84-BFA6-7F33C58AD561.thumb.jpeg.236f26de8b8652a7f6ba5e1a4a4a7059.jpeg

DE316C24-F99E-40D6-ABC7-BF2CE8CE9B6E.thumb.jpeg.bf6cdcda9d64c275332fcedf749e98a7.jpeg

AAAB8000-7F75-4649-A626-D33B3BB6BE9E.thumb.jpeg.cad7b08094277af55ce7f005a5973e42.jpeg

B583AC97-0987-4FE0-9C6A-4F6C47CC79B7.jpeg