RIP- DMB graphics period 80s/90s plates

HMC

I'm sure that era of Dagenham Motors Fords had plain plates with 'Dagenham Motors' branded black plastic backing plates.

Something about that plate doesn't look quite right. Are the characters too small or narrow? Or slightly the wrong font?

You’re correct. I had a Fiesta like this years ago that also had the same style plates.

82e398d5634e1fa454d71239f30b7222.png

• 2 weeks later...

A few people on the Rover 200/400 Owners Club forum are asking about where to find period acrylic plates, especially people that provide a replication service like DMB. If anyone knows of anything can they please let me know by PM so I can pass any info on.

Thanks!

Has anyone asked DMB why they have stopped this service ?

Basically it wasn't worth their effort anymore with having to return the log books, it became too time consuming, they are now concentrating on their dealer stickers and graphics instead.

There is a company called Pukar Designs who are doing them now but I haven't used them myself yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Did we ever decide upon a preferred supplier for "Old Charles Wright" font plates?

The ones I got from Jersey via Fancyplates were absolute hogpiss.  Pukkar designs seems to get the odd mention but he seems quite elusive on FB so am anxious about firing him £40 or whatever unless someone has first hand experience.

It'd be a shame to ping new plates on the car, but it really does need something doing on the front of my 190.

I used Plates for Cars, and they seem ok. I've not fitted them to the Skoda yet, but will get some pics up when I do.

I've decided to try the sticky pads that could be ordered with the plates, as drilling through them always seems to cause damage to them. Will i regret that decision? Place bets now!

I used Plates for Cars, and they seem ok. I've not fitted them to the Skoda yet, but will get some pics up when I do.

I've decided to try the sticky pads that could be ordered with the plates, as drilling through them always seems to cause damage to them. Will i regret that decision? Place bets now!

Two things I learned about doing this back when I was at the garage (we used to put our own plates on everything that came through, Serck typeface too, will have to see if I can find any photos) was to drill the holes on a block of wood so the backing wasn't pushed off by the drill, and to use a really sharp good quality drill. That should get a nice clean finish.

Oh, and don't do what our boss did one day and discover the windscreen washer reservoir is directly behind the front bumper on a Vauxhall Omega when screwing the plates to the car. No, of course we didn't laugh...

Not sure where I got myne done but I know I was hunting for a period 'D' without sticky outy bits for some hours. It matched up well to the cracked plate it was replacing.

post-24545-0-93076500-1547124475_thumb.jpg

Was a bit of a challenge. Have a receipt in file on bookshelf in house somewhere. I also added the original dealer at the bottom but used my imagination as the dealer- LMT Garages in Cardiff seemed long gone before the interweb became popular.

I hate this sort of thread. So easy to spend all your money (and time) on this sort of pointless stuff, when it would be much better to spend a couple of hours fixing stuff that's actually broken.

I mean, now I really want to replace the "wrong" front plate on the 205, and while I'm at it the original back one is a bit scruffy... And should I fake up dealer logos or what? Aargh!

post-23518-0-82696500-1535878166_thumb.jpg
post-23518-0-58300200-1535878167_thumb.jpg

It's actually got me browsing online for all sorts of tat that I don't really need. Or at least bits that I may never get round to fitting when there are loads of things I could improve/fix for free. If anything I should be saving money for important things like tyres. 

Sorry. This is harmless enough. And fun. Continue.

It's one of those things that just bugsme. It's a 'thing'. Couldn't fix old existing cracked plate either. Needed for mot, double win.

I get it!

But for me part of the trick of enjoying an old car is to try to suppress the part of me that wants to make every little bit of it "perfect". That shit keeps me awake at night. Maybe you have less of a problem than I do?

I get it!

But for me part of the trick of enjoying an old car is to try to suppress the part of me that wants to make every little bit of it "perfect". That shit keeps me awake at night. Maybe you have less of a problem than I do?

No, I dont. Although the sound of it rusting sends me to sleep.

Still watching this with interest as I want to replace the Royale's broken original plates with exact replicas. The only thing I'd consider replacing them with would be sercks if exact replicas exist but they sadly don't.

Do Tippers do plastic plates then? According to their website they only do the ally plates with raised plastic digits, which I suppose could be a plan but they were generally old hat by 1980 W reg ( I know some cars still had them but most were either plastic like mine, or tin in an authentic font. I'm yet to see any tin plates currently on the market which look authentic.

Shame there's all this legal bullshit to contend with because I'd be willing to chip in to buy DMB graphics' typefaces etc and we could get a consortium together who could operate on a not for profit basis, just doing them for forum members with all profits going to forum funding.

Not sure where I got myne done but I know I was hunting for a period 'D' without sticky outy bits for some hours. It matched up well to the cracked plate it was replacing.

attachicon.gifIMG_20181019_100859553~2.jpg

Was a bit of a challenge. Have a receipt in file on bookshelf in house somewhere. I also added the original dealer at the bottom but used my imagination as the dealer- LMT Garages in Cardiff seemed long gone before the interweb became popular.

Hmm.... I did something a bit *kof*different*kof* with mine.....

post-23014-0-37644500-1547310873_thumb.jpg

post-23014-0-17471900-1547310762_thumb.jpg

Happy days.

Did we ever decide upon a preferred supplier for "Old Charles Wright" font plates?

The ones I got from Jersey via Fancyplates were absolute hogpiss.  Pukkar designs seems to get the odd mention but he seems quite elusive on FB so am anxious about firing him £40 or whatever unless someone has first hand experience.

It'd be a shame to ping new plates on the car, but it really does need something doing on the front of my 190.

I've got Fancyplates.com ones on my Discovery, they're great and a very nice period correct font.  Only gripe being they don't seem to ever send an invoice with them (I like to keep all my bills!)

Also, they're from Ireland, not Jersey!

I've been thinking of getting a platesforcars plate for my Mazda, they do a 457mm plate as opposed to the standard 520mm (so 6cm shorter), which would make it look a bit less odd, as the car is designed for Japanese size plates. However - £26 for the privilege!

I choose 'UK old legal' font, which I assume is correct. Yup, aware I need to add a space between numbers and letters!

post-20084-0-13376400-1547331100_thumb.jpg

they also do a 406mm version, but looks too cramped. £24

post-20084-0-66824500-1547331245_thumb.jpg

Then there is this style (178 x 127) like Joey Spud got on his YRV, but I think it doesn't look quite right (I guess they'd print it more centered than that) - only* £16 this one. Not sure how to mount this one effectively either.

post-20084-0-60864200-1547331393_thumb.jpg

Any thoughts?

As it is now...

post-20084-0-12764900-1547331637_thumb.jpg

Fancyplates do a couple of different old fonts, I've got "style 2" or summat on my 90 and they look good, sort of a more roundy font.

Also used to get old font plates off a fella on eBay who's obviously been rumbled for selling them as his listings have disappeared, but! I managed to scrounge up an email for them and they can still knock them out on the QT, had a new set last week to put on the Porsche. Will get a pic tomorrow.

I am a confirmed number plate fetishist, my old man takes the piss out of me but correct font number plates on old rammel look 1000000x better in my eyes, it literally pained me to look at the front of my new car until I had them sorted.

In the same vein, has anyone actually found a decent alternative for dealer plates now DMB has gone scat? The Porsche had an original dealer plate on the back which had delaminated badly, but the bottom with the supplying dealer details was intact. Would like to get a set made up in the future.