Has GDPR killed researching vehicle history?

HMC

You will all see from recent v5c documents- the previous keeper bit has gone and in its place some GDPR tosh is Found. This leaves the records the vehicle came with, or the v888 thing. The thing is though, aside from matters of a legal nature perhaps, the very notion of requesting a third parties personal details for almost every reason will surely hit a wall with GDPR? Has anyone had recent success or am I correct in assuming the DVLA are very unlikely indeed to grant the release of details anymore?

I always feel sorry for the DVLA as everyone seems to trash them. Whenever i tax a car online they have that satisfaction survey thing. There’s a box for text “how could we improve this service?” They must be so used to being trashed on it, or ignored I submit positive comments every time. I feel sorry for the people at the other end, being swamped with negativity in their job. Plus I think the online thing is easy to use and efficient. Anyway every so often they send me a big pack with feedback stuff in it in the post (which I never have time to fill in tbh). So in a sense I am “known” probably for being mad and a good source of statistical data.

The V5 I got yesterday has previous owner details on it still.

Nope, me being a twat. I remember seeing the previous owners name but just checked and it’s not on there but is on the previous one that I got when I bought it as we did it online there and then. New one just says number of former keepers.

Fekkin Typicial. I can understand organisations having to be careful with people's data but the previus keeper info is part of the buying process, assuming the seller has the V5C and if they don't there are some additional 'rules of thumb to steer you through such instances.

With the V5C present, knowing the current 'keeper' has only had the vehicle for two mmonths and prior to that it was some Dutch fella, Hertz VanRental possibly tells you a thing or two.

GDPR rules, all part of what we signed up to when we went into the common market innit Ted.

So asystem that has worked well in the UK is once again impacted by EU Regulation

Sad times.

If anyone wants to send me their car, name and address deets, I'll log them into database, and will gladly take payment from anyone who'd like to buy them from me. I'll even adopt a Welsh accent for maximum authenticity, should customers so require.

Anyone?

I always feel sorry for the DVLA as everyone seems to trash them. Whenever i tax a car online they have that satisfaction survey thing. There’s a box for text “how could we improve this service?” They must be so used to being trashed on it, or ignored I submit positive comments every time. I feel sorry for the people at the other end, being swamped with negativity in their job. Plus I think the online thing is easy to use and efficient.

Ditto. The online thing is slick and efficient, especially when compared to the old method of queueing at the Post Office with bits of paper, which was a complete pain in the arse when you have several cars all on six months tax. I've never had any trouble with the DVLA and guess that they are honest hard working people who are paid peanuts for taking a lot of flack.

I do miss the previous owners bit though, but more out of curiosity than anything in the same way I miss seeing bidders' ebay names, or when car dealers stop listing sold cars on their website. Feels like "another small avenue of pleasure has been closed to me", to quote Basil Fawlty.

Fekkin Typicial. I can understand organisations having to be careful with people's data but the previus keeper info is part of the buying process, assuming the seller has the V5C and if they don't there are some additional 'rules of thumb to steer you through such instances.

With the V5C present, knowing the current 'keeper' has only had the vehicle for two mmonths and prior to that it was some Dutch fella, Hertz VanRental possibly tells you a thing or two.

GDPR rules, all part of what we signed up to when we went into the common market innit Ted.

So asystem that has worked well in the UK is once again impacted by EU Regulation

Will it be fekkin typical when you don’t get junk mail every day, spam emails, don’t have your personal details passed around to ambulance chasers after a minor accident, your medical details to insurance companies etc etc etc? As always there are negatives but people seem to conveniently miss the other side. On the grand scale of things this is a pretty minor one.

Will it be fekkin typical when you don’t get junk mail every day, spam emails, don’t have your personal details passed around to ambulance chasers after a minor accident, your medical details to insurance companies etc etc etc? As always there are negatives but people seem to conveniently miss the other side. On the grand scale of things this is a pretty minor one.

Hang on, the DVLA have still got the info, just won't let you have it. As for junk email, two email accounts solve that, one for signing up to shite sites that attract said, and one for serious stuff. Under old rules, you could ask to be removed from mailing lists etc.

All I see now is constant agreeing to websites terms to see anything. Opting out of tailored ads to only get the standard shite ads doesn't make much diff to me, I ignore them all enyway.

Let's wait for the next 'data breach' on a financial organisation before we announce the new GDPR rules are a roaring success shall we. "May we remind you Sir, they have not stolen the details of the account you closed six years ago at your old address because you asked us to delete all of thhat, they have only stolen your latest address and account details"

Has all that stopped then?

I object to parking companies taking pictures of my number plate and storing the image ,

can I complain about that under GDPR ?

and insist they delete image within 5 minutes ....

No, because they are collecting that 'personal data' as part of their legitimate business and possibly even because you are entering into a contract with them because you are using their services. What they won't be able to do is sell that personal data on to another party without your consent, and if they lose it, leak it, use it for sending you spam or keep it longer than for the purpose of their legitimate business, they can be heftily fined for it.

The area lacks a centralised system that you could query to find out which organizations are holding data about you, but you have the right to ask ANY organisation if they hold data about you and they have to respond in a month, telling you what they have, why they have it, how long they will keep it for and how they got it in the first place. Unless they have it for the purposes of an ongoing legitimate process (I.e. you have a long term parking contract with them), or are in a legal dispute with you over the contract, (or it is required for provision of healthcare to you or as part of government anti terrorism activities etc. etc.) you can have them delete the data i.e. 'forget' you.

For clarity, I too will miss the vehicle history research that could be done with the information, but you can't have it both ways. There was a massive trade in unethically obtained personal data, the only visible part of which was the spam we've all been getting for the last decade, but there were an awful lot more civil liberties being infringed because of it. The DPD was well overdue for updating and GDPR has addressed that as well as bolstering personal rights. And the UK was very active in creating the GDPR. It was not forced upon the UK by other member states.

That’s a good point. And let us say the third party hasn’t given written consent to its disclosure. can indeed a classic car dealer still now say “ this cherished example is formerly owned by xyz” as depending on the xyz there may be an enhanced value to the car and would stand to gain materially from its disclosure publically.

That is a massive over-simplification. You make it sound like the plucky little Brit is having rules and regulations dictated to it from on high by a huge faceless corporation.

Given that the UK was significantly involved in the drafting and implementation of GDPR, it's quite absurd to blame the EU.