Squire_Dawson

Humber Super Snipe: overhaul.

Any clues as to the new motor?

Hope you are not travelling too far, but I suppose that depends on the car.

Chichester, to be precise. Quite a nice place actually. And the only clues so far are, it fulfills Squire's requirements for motoring. So it has a bench front seat and column change..

After the last GGG car buying debacle this is a very wise offer! I hope lessons have not been learnt since last time!

One lesson has been learned - we aren't using the railway this time! We might have done, but London is being difficult this weekend and every trip south involved several changes and took longer than driving.

We're 405ing south.

ecf73d577f0e053bad42ebbdc1ac3ae5.jpg

There's an American pick up of some description up for sale round the corner from me being in that there Chiddester (as the locals say it), I know that has 3 seats in a row and a column shifter.

If it is that then let me know if you need tea & toilet.

Chichester is quite a nice place, mostly... just down the A27 from me too.

I was going to suggest you northern monkeys get your strongest sun tan lotion on when you get here, being from the grim north you’ve likely never seen the sun before! However, it appears you’ve picked normal northern weather to do this in today!

Best of luck anyway, bench seats and column shift = awesome.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Peter C
      Woke up this morning, had a little time before I had to leave the house for work, had a quick look at what’s new for sale on Retro Rides and saw an ad for a W124 200E manual, located 15 miles from home. I had no intention of buying a car today but I had to have it! I called the seller and arranged a viewing.

Faults:

2 x rusty front wings (TADTS)
      1 x rusty rear arch
      Needs a polish
      Tracking is out because new track rod end was fitted for MoT
      Engine has oil leak/s

Good points:

It’s a W124 200E!
      5 speed manual transmission
      New clutch
      Brand new MoT
      Superb MoT history
      4 x as new Continental tyres
      Last owner for 15 years, her husband before that for 4 years
      Very tidy MB-Tex interior
      Drives well
      All electrics work

The dealer kindly delivered the car to my house but I managed a pez station shot on route:

Plans:

Remove front wings, cut away rust and apply plenty of wob.
      In-situ similar repair for rear arch
      Clean and polish
      Service engine
      Adjust tracking
      Leave patina and enjoy the car as it is

I will update this thread once progress is made.

Hopefully these two will become good friends.

• By richardthestag
      Been a busy 6 months on my old Range Rover that I own 50/50 with Fathathastag

Bit of background first..

We bought it March 2015 just as genuine early Range Rovers were starting to get noticed. Alas not early enough that we could have got it for a couple of hundred quid. 

The car had been owned for decades by a Land Rover enthusiast and this particular car retained a lot of features unique to pre 1973 Range Rovers. Sadly he died a few years back and the car was left outside the front of his house. 

I spotted it on eBay and arranged with the owners widow to view. There were no bids and my offer was good enough to take the auction off.

The engine had been part way through a top end strip down when work stopped, I had no idea even if the car would move. But rented a trailer and relocated it from Watford to North Devon where fathathastag has a barn suitable for storage.

The project is on the right, we towed it into the field and pushed it into the barn

In May 2015 I got to do an assessment of the car. body wise most outer panels were ok, the inner wings looked ok, it clearly needed some work but was unsure how much at this point. main objective was to see if the engine was a runner.

Found that the gearbox and axles were original to the car, but the engine was from an earlyish SD1

while the seat covers are not original some of the plastic kitkat seat coverings are underneath, the rear seat especially

The head has some nasty corrosion very near the fire ring seal, 

When I refitted the head one of the bolts tore the thread out. bastard but not entirely uncommon with the alloy blocked RV8

• By dome
      This evening I venture forth into hitherto unknown lands (Kirkintilloch) to collect my latest acquisition.

Which, naturally, has issues.

I have purchased my first line of defence.

Which appears to have antigravity properties

More will follow this evening...