Driver unfriendly car features

doubleyeller

Stop-start tech, it always loves throwing shit fits on Peugeot Bippers, and every time you turned the ignition off, it bloody reset, so you would have to turn the fucker back off again, I would happily crush those vans, especially as I was doing up to 500 miles a night in the bastards, urgh

I love start stop, works a great in all the cars I have had it in. But the main reason I love it is because it really fucked off an arsehole at work who declared the new minibus utterly undriveable as it stalled at every set of lights. We left it a month of doing it that before we told her.

So far Pug vans have 3 votes for irritating features. Or four if you count both of my whinges.

I used to have to drive Pug Partners (about 2004ish models) & they were crap, crap engines, crap seats, crap driving position, crap brakes, crap steering and so noisey I'd wear the earplugs I use to ride my bike..... oh & the A pillars where too big so you couldn't see out.

Which reminds me. When did cars stop getting designed by people who speak to each other? the amount of cars where the person doing the seat didn't talk to those doing the pedals so it's impossible to sit in a way that doesn't break your knees or ankles when driving is amazing.

Our work vans, Peugeot Partners have stupid wipers. You switch them on when it rains, so far so good. Then switch off the engine and get out to go and deliver something. When you come back and restart the engine the wipers don't come back on despite the switch being in the on position where you left it. You have to switch them off then on again. Every time you get back in the van.

I realise there is no no physical link between the switch and the wipers any more and everything goes via some computer for even the simplest of operations, which seems stupid in itself but other vans don't do it, just the Peugeots. It seems it is the act of switching that sends the message to the computer not the switch being in the on position. Ridiculous.

My C5 is the same - except when it decides to wipe of its own volition.

French indeed.

9-5? I found it quite comfy as a passenger but the driving position was the worst I've ever experienced, and I drive a Turkish Transit.

You must be strange then as it is indeed a 9-5.

Our work vans, Peugeot Partners have stupid wipers. You switch them on when it rains, so far so good. Then switch off the engine and get out to go and deliver something. When you come back and restart the engine the wipers don't come back on despite the switch being in the on position where you left it. You have to switch them off then on again. Every time you get back in the van.

I realise there is no no physical link between the switch and the wipers any more and everything goes via some computer for even the simplest of operations, which seems stupid in itself but other vans don't do it, just the Peugeots. It seems it is the act of switching that sends the message to the computer not the switch being in the on position. Ridiculous.

My old Seat Altea did this, only on the front wipers and the rear one stayed on which was really frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dashboards that illuminate all the time rather than only when you have the headlights switched on. What is the point, other than to confuse you?

Yes. The CX does this. I thought it was all perfectly normal, just like travelling all the way to Donegal with the express intention of coming back with a car, and empty-handedness not being an option, like...

Another wonderful* feature on the A1, I set auto locking on set off for the missus (a good feature) but it doesn’t auto unlock.

Not even when you’ve stopped, removed the keys from the ignition, opened the drivers door and attempted to get your kids out of the back in the pissing rain to find their door still locked.

Oh and I appreciate an A1 is a car for aspirational youth not over 40 miserable arses like me but did they not think I might want fit something other than a can of Redbull/Actimel in the cup holder?

...and another thing, the Outlander I returned in July had an infuriating rear view camera that would obliterate whatever you were up to in the sat nav as soon as you engaged reverse.

This was compounded by a horrifically slow sat nav that if you were half a second too quick and got reverse before the final ‘start guidance’ had registered it wiped the destination.

There was no way to cancel off the camera whilst in reverse so you had to stick it back in P/N and repeat the whole rigmarole again.

Oh and it beeped for everything and I mean everything. It was like driving around with a box of dying smoke alarms in the boot.

Having worked in a garage in the past you kinda have to learn to drive/interact with a car on it's own terms. My old bluebird would lock/unlock everything from the driver's door. It was simple and failproof. A modern car will probably unlock just the drier's door, with some other process on the fob for the other doors (usually a double press, or press and hold).

If you approach a car with your own ideas it leads to frustration and constant nagging.

9-5? I found it quite comfy as a passenger but the driving position was the worst I've ever experienced, and I drive a Turkish Transit.

I quite like the driving position in my 9-5. Even though the wheel is too big and doesn't slide far enough up. And my left knee is against the dash.

Comfy seats, mind...

I quite like the driving position in my 9-5. Even though the wheel is too big and doesn't slide far enough up. And my left knee is against the dash.

Comfy seats, mind...

That and you can't see out of the windscreen without slouching. All of these things are unforgivable in what is a fairly large car.

Having worked in a garage in the past you kinda have to learn to drive/interact with a car on it's own terms. My old bluebird would lock/unlock everything from the driver's door. It was simple and failproof. A modern car will probably unlock just the drier's door, with some other process on the fob for the other doors (usually a double press, or press and hold).

If you approach a car with your own ideas it leads to frustration and constant nagging.

While I agree that cars should all be different, you do sometimes wonder if car designers actually drive cars, or if they get a bonus for making unnecessary design changes.

That and you can't see out of the windscreen without slouching. All of these things are unforgivable in what is a fairly large car.

I slouch anyway so that doesn't bother me. Seat down as far as it'll go and right back. Mmmmm, comfort.

Rear visibility is excellent, at least (in my estate, can't vouch for the saloon).

I've never noticed that issue but then I put the seat right down in almost every car. I like to sit in a car not on it.

I still say the best driving position I've experienced was my MG Midget. Everything was in just the right place.

I don't know if this applies to any other VAG shite, but just noticed on my neighbours 2011 Ibiza as she pulled up outside (in my narrow, often sped in, street), as soon as she turned the ignition off, the mirrors folded in, preventing her seeing if there was anyone coming up behind her as she opened the door to get out..

Those crazy Spaniards, hoping to corner the market in replacing pancaked doors no doubt...

I don't know if this applies to any other VAG shite, but just noticed on my neighbours 2011 Ibiza as she pulled up outside (in my narrow, often sped in, street), as soon as she turned the ignition off, the mirrors folded in, preventing her seeing if there was anyone coming up behind her as she opened the door to get out..

Those crazy Spaniards, hoping to corner the market in replacing pancaked doors no doubt...

Most moderns do that, although the function can be turned off.

Most climate controls have an annoying feature where they run colder if it's sunny because you'll feel hotter. What it actually means is you have to turn the temp down as it gets dark.

Pisses me off tbh, I picked a temp as I want that temp. Not what some idiot somewhere once thought I might think was that temp.