Driver unfriendly car features

doubleyeller

Even if I only had a £50 shitbox though I'd lock it every time so I'd never expect the boot to be open at night, same as I wouldn't want a tramp using it as a place to kip by leaving the doors open. A bootlock where you have to use the key even when the doors are unlocked, that's a proper irritation.

I thought it was just a foible on my Fester, that boot lock thing.   Picked up a case of beer on a single yellow outside the offy, reached car on wet road only to find the hatch locked - even though I unlocked it and left it just touching so I could flip it back up with a nudge from the corner of the case....Nah, put case down, find key, etc.  

I just run about with the back seats down now and lob everything in through the rear door.   Bloody moderns.....

Oh don't get me started.

The rear fog lamp switch of R8 Rovers. Hidden behind the S. wheel and with a warning light on it which hardly illuminates.

The Pug 307 centre top of dash info display. Read which cannot be seen in strong daylight or with sunglasses on. Then when they get older some digits fail to display. Other Pugs maybe included!

Any car with an umbrella type of hand brake.

Any car with no power steering?

Good point, I'd forgot about the change to FWD. Although the Orion & FWD Escrotes I had didn't have heavy steering until I fitted wider alloys on higher spec models.

Also, I think steering and suspension geometry was starting to be designed from the off for assisted cars as PAS became more common.

Certainly, on the above Pug 106, the top mount was bolted one way around on the PAS cars, and the other way round on the manual steered models.  I think this changed the castor or something to make the steering a little lighter on the povo spec cars- at the expense of handling or feel maybe.

The driver's door lock nobby bit in the top of the door panel on a 5 door e36. If it's a nice day and the window is down, the unsuspecting driver wearing a t shirt will place their right arm on the panel top to achieve farmers tan. This is when the nobby bit locks down and removes skin from the bit of arm just below the armpit. It also draws blood and catches me out EVERY- SINGLE- BLOODY- TIME!

the ventilation setup on the metro, its just hopless.

though i guess lots of cars had crap ventilation back in the 1980's. and Marvin is the City X (in reality) so only got the lowline setup., only 2 fresh air vents, one each side of the dash.

i remember Ford doing a similar thing on the povvo spec Fiesta's, did any other makers have different ventilation arrangements for the "hiline" and "lowline" models?

and in modernz, the electronical hand brake. its the unbelivealby shit answer to a question no-one had ever needed to ask.

who ever "invented" that wants taking outside, and given a good stiff talking too, with a cricket bat........

oh and the turning circle of the orange mini.

been a sportspack, it came with stupid wheels and "quick rack" steering rack. which is only 2 and a bit turns lock to lock. 

and it means that the car has a turning circle bigger than the Queen Mary, which makes you look such a bloody berk when trying to manouvre in a supermarket carpark, like it a REAL mini, and you still need a couple of goes to get such a small car into a parking space??

Manual gearboxes. Not sure why that outmoded rubbish even still exists.

They became obsolete the day the fist automatic was installed, which was well over 100 years ago.

Rubber bands or as they are better known CVTs are even better in most situations

Autos with flappy pads are not worth their weight in BMWs

Good point, I'd forgot about the change to FWD. Although the Orion & FWD Escrotes I had didn't have heavy steering until I fitted wider alloys on higher spec models.

No its not! Its utter bollocks!

Novas (for example) (FWD & RonaldMacDonald struts) were famos* for heavy steering as not PAS

Aye right, only when fitted with Carlos Fandgos spec rims.

Look at the engineering not the urban legends!

That is more how I remember it. But FWD would make sense in making it a bit heavier as it moved the weight distribution forward.

Talk of PAS reminds me of 90's auctions, every Rover R8 and Cavalier that was driven through would have at 2 people reach in and try the steering, those without were often either ignored or went for a lot less.

I remember getting MuthaN a 214 SLi from auction and only bid on those that had ( optional) power steering as the unassisted ones were exceptionally heavy.