Driver unfriendly car features

doubleyeller

Well posting on the R14 guy's thread made me think about that infamous clock which the 14 had behind the gear lever base in the centre console and the "Slope away from you" Marina radio!

Any statistics on the number of fatal RTAs the above caused would be welcome, but which other ridiculous "We don't give a shit" design features made life difficult for the drivers of the fine motors of distinction yesteryear?

Dashpods on the Citroen GSA and Visa.

Anything with a floor mounted handbrake instead of the traditional hand operated design - Especially Citroen XM!

Tbh on the Merc it's not too bad as at least you only brake with your foot and release with the lever.

But yes there was nothing wrong with the old set up on 98,000,000 other cars!!!!

Anything with a floor mounted handbrake instead of the traditional hand operated design - Especially Citroen XM!

How are they driver unfriendly? Once you are used to the pods on visa/gsa etc then they don’t obscure or block anything.

The XM or most older American parking brakes on the floor, again, they take getting used to, but certainly don’t cause any obstruction or distraction.

I love the dash pods, I think they work really well and look cool (except for the horn push, tucked away around the back).

With you on the XM parking brake though.

It's not just old cars: I find the ergonomics of my wife's new C-class to be pretty poor all round but an especially nice touch is having the cruise control stalk right next to the indicator stalk. Yes I have hit the wrong one, more than once.

Fuel gauge on Seat Ibiza,  full is on the left and empty on the right,  Still catches me out thinking there loads then the low fuel warning goes off usually miles from the nearest supply, last owner left the spare fuel container in the boot for me.

***Photo to be included L8ers if one can be arsed*****

Chrome can FRO in general. Especially if it's plastered all over the back of the car in front on a sunny day.

And it looks as tacky as fuck IMO, especially the 'plastic' variety.

One of my mates had a polished ally bodied Robin Hood. If the sun was behind then it was impossible to follow behind as you were completely dazzled.

Also, I'm looking at a new Hilux or similar for work. Why are all the higher spec ones covered in stick on Chrome tat?

I want Aircon, DAB and parking sensors -

Not a gypsy caravan.

BMC Farinas had their window winder about as far down the driver's door nearest the footwell as possible.   Impossible to reach in static seat belts.   Most latter-day owners got round this by kicking all the glass out of the car and fitting a harness.

I seem to recall the XM foot operated handbrake was added to make the car compatible in the market with German cars manufactured at the time. Nobody thought that it was a good idea, only that it would sell more cars. :)

MY grump, being past the age of retirement is that modern radios need a two week intensive college course on how they even turn on and off.

All I need is three radio presets, an on/off/volume, a tuning knob and a USB slot. I certainly don't need to know what the traffic and railways are doing two counties away.

Morris Minors have an in-built wear indicator on the handbrake.  Should you  neglect the adjustment, slamming the gear-lever into reverse reminds you by jamming the flat fleshy part of your palm between gearstick and handbrake lever.   It is also possible to skin your knuckles on an open driver's quarter-light whilst twirling into a reverse-parking space.

On the Series II Oxford/Cowley you have to guess which switch you are pulling as if you take your eyes off the road to find them (whilst on full arm-stretch) you are likely to plunge yourself into darkness at night.  Just as you need to see the ditch you have now swerved towards.    

See also central speedometers on early Minis, complete with bouncing needle and calibrations that only approximated actual velocity.

Issigonis was either a contortionist giraffe or a knob.

This is the view from the back seat of the Favorit.

post-20743-0-63779700-1535187985_thumb.jpg

Nice view of the clock. Now try looking at it from the drivers seat. It was obviously an afterthought as the base model has a large analogue clock next to the speedo but when they added the rev counter they had to put it somewhere else and this was the best they could come up with.

Its fine if you have a rear seat passenger, you can ask them the time. I think it looks quite cool up there, but as a clock its next to useless.

Got to be A pillars on most modern cars.

Good for the driver in as much as you could probably roll the car and walk away without a scratch.

No so good for that poor sod on a motorbike that you can't see at a junction.

A pillar on a Ford Ka+ the angle, thickness, whatever, you have to wave your head around to see past it.

I’m going to point out something about foot operated parking brake’s.

Yes XM’s and some German cars had them. But for decades American cars had them also. Millions of Americans had no problems with them. I just don’t see them as driver unfriendly.

I’m going to point out something about foot operated parking brake’s.

Yes XM’s and some German cars had them. But for decades American cars had them also. Millions of Americans had no problems with them. I just don’t see them as driver unfriendly.

I've never tried one, I'm sure they're fine if the car is automatic, but hill starts must be fun* in a manual XM.

Chrome can FRO in general.

My 2009 Focus has chrome needles on the dials. The one on the speedo frequently catches the sunlight and reflects it straight into my eyes.

On older stuff, the positioning of the horn button on the end of a steering column stalk on early low spec Sierras strikes me as deliberately driver unfriendly, considering the higher spec Sierras had the more logical horn in the middle of the steering wheel.