Electric conversions of classics

dieselnutjob

I seem to remember that the CX DTR2 was the fastest diesel car available when it first came out.

I should have specified, mine was an early 2400 petrol - Traction Avant technology. They did come with far nicer engines later.

With looks like those they should have run on antimatter!

I seem to remember that the CX DTR2 was the fastest diesel car available when it first came out.

Gave about the same performance as the non-turbo GTi, but at about half the fuel consumption. Might have been better if the engine block hadn't initially been made from Indian recycled scrap which made it more porous than a European border.

Manual gearbox stronger than the one used on the GTi Turbos, apparently.

Depends on what you're converting, I'd say.  If you've got an old car, regardless of the age/desirability/value, and the engine is either missing or knackered and in need of replacement, it could be argued that you're instantly improving it by putting in any new form of propulsion which is potentially going to make your old car cheaper to run and more reliable.  Obviously the economics and engineering factors do apply and yes, you will lose some of the 'character' but personally, in the right vehicle I think it's a fantastic idea.  An electric Citroen DS would be a pleasing thought...

That!

It's wrong, just wrong. It's destroying the history & character of the car that makes people want them to start with.

You could argue someone putting a different engine, body kit or daft paint job is doing the same. If someone buys a car and wants to convert it themselves, where's the harm in that?

Depends on what you're converting, I'd say.

This!

An E-Type, nah, those are for driving pleasure and the internal combustion engine is part of the theater. An XJ saloon? Absolutely, especially as the range gets better and better. What better drive train could there be for a luxury car than one that makes little noise and no vibration (especially in traffic)?

An EV Mini Moke would an ace little town run around.

You could argue someone putting a different engine, body kit or daft paint job is doing the same. If someone buys a car and wants to convert it themselves, where's the harm in that?

I'd give you the same answer.

I can't put an age/time on it but after cars & bikes get old enough and are actually classics (some old shite will never be a classic, just really old shite) then it feels wrong to me to sod about with it too much. Period mods from 'back in the day' don't get the same reaction though.

YES

Panda

Maxi or Landcrab

2CV

Triumph 2000 Mk1 Estate

Reliant Robin

^ Whatever car it would need to look totally standard.

NO

Dodge Charger 1968/9, or anything with a V8, obv. Twin charging-sockets below the rear bumper?

Alfasud

There are period articles around on the 1966 AEI Mini Traveller and 1970s electric Renault 5s.

An electric Bedford Rascal/Honda Acty/insert-name-of-tiny-van would probably be a bit of a hoot.  Panda and Robin are a good shout too - anything basic and utilitarian designed mainly for urban use in theory is ideal, the problem comes mainly down to the size and weight of batteries.  I recall having this discussion on here in the past and suggesting a 2CV was ideal for such a conversion but I think Dollywobbler was the one to suggest it probably wouldn't work as there's nowhere sensible to put enough batteries to make it viable.

There's a Wheeler Dealer episode where they bought a very unusual conversion and upgraded it - a Maserati BiTurbo.  

I’m really intrigued by modern EVs.

Our local taxi firm was one of the first to convert to an all electric fleet of Leafvses. We booked one a few months back (we don’t use taxis often) and did around a 15 mile journey in it - as a passenger I was really impressed. I wouldn’t say no to one of the new shape models, although will wait until they’re decent value as a secondhand motor.

On the flipside, I love owning a vee-hicle powered by an internal combustion engine. When I’m hooning around in the MR2, I like the fact it makes a racket behind my head, and gets louder the more I plant my right foot.

In an ideal* world, I’d have a bang-up-to-date EV as a daily commuter, and a gas guzzler for evenings/weekends/ shits and giggles.

Back to the idea of fitting classics with electric conversions, I just can’t see the point. The money spent on the conversion would be better spent on buying a cheap Leaf for leccy duties and retaining the fruity powerplant in your classic.

-I'd love to convert something to electric, I got shot of an old rolling shell Aerodyne Bristol a few years ago, an engine and box for that would have been 20K+ for shagged out old rubbish and as much again rebuilding, made electrifying seem viable, looked into it but the battery cost was a little silly, there I was thinking there should be plentiful ex written off Prius batteries around with how poorly they're driven but it's not the case. I think when or if the battery cost comes down it's going to be hard to resist going all Frankensteins monster on old clapped out MOT/tax exempt chod.

I have a feeling that long before petrol engines burn out I will be confined to electric vehicles anyway - the sort with a basket on the front parked outside the bookies.   Besides, there is nothing new about slamming a few batteries in a classic motah.....

https://group.renault.com/en/news/blog-renault/henney-kilowatt-the-american-electric-dauphine/

Is there maybe a touch of reverse snobbery about the reactions here, because we're talking about an E type converted at presumably great expense for a rich man?

If someone off here was converting something more "us" like a mk2 cavalier or whatever, using scavenged laptop batteries and the motor out of a written off leaf, would we still be moaning about the soul of the car etc, or would we think it was dead clever?

Converting makes sense to me, it could be in not many years that it's the only way to run an old car, as petrol will be one million dollars per gallon or something.

I believe that for electric cars to work ok, the battery needs regular use. I've seen some of these convertions on YouTube that seem to be using Tesla batteries and to not use them frequently seems a waste. I think gas conversion might be a better way to make them less smelly. Frankly the long term future for what we call classic cars isn't great so if a few people do it, good luck to 'em.