Anyone not have enough projects in Scotland?

colino

Probably more of a chance to vent than actually achieve a clear driveway, but here is a spectacular chance to acquire what were very fine cars.  (But now, all needing attention and the skills of someone who is not me).

Jaguar S-Type 3.0 Auto.  53 plate so it is the facelift with electronic parking brake, and a proper dashboard, even better still, it is red with a cream leather interior.  I bought it many years ago, cheaply, because the dealer thought it had HGF.  New expansion tank and top hose set from David Manners and all was well.  The reason it has languished in my driveway for 4+ years was that first the wipers failed, fixed eventually, and then a rear door lock spontaneously broke and three shots of getting the wrong one from ebay suppliers, made it a back of the driveway lurker.  I did start and wash it religiously, however eventually became an atheist and it now wont start at all, even knackering my good spare battery.  I suspect the starter motor has just quietly surrendered.

BMW 520iSE Auto.  W reg and I really bought it as a spares car for the black one (more of later).  However, with a black leather interior, with piano black trim and more comfy 16 inch alloys, it became the day car.  Body may have been touched in by the previous owner with white emulsion, but being parked all day in not a great area, I loved it.  It is in the drive because local MOT stations have become strangely combined to talk bollocks to increase their profits and condemned the brakes.  Having had a lot of beemers, not only are the brakes great, even the handbrake is too.

VW Golf TDI(?).  The “boys” black, three-door, 03 car that needs brakes and suspension and the “upgrade” straight pipe in the exhaust replaced for its MOT.  That needs replaced because the upgrade fell off and was lost.  Obviously only needing a small bit of time and a bit of money, it has instead been abandoned and a replacement bought instead.

BMW 523iSE Auto.  Again a W reg., Black and once beautiful, but as it has been my wifes pride and joy for over 11 years, is now bashed and “used”.  It was never going to leave us, despite the local authorities roads departments best efforts to destroy the 17 inch alloys and suspension, but a newer car took her fancy, so I started using it instead.  Right up until last night when the battery light came on and the fan belt had shredded.  Unfortunately that shredding appears to have taken some time and the stray strings of the belt appear to have caught up in the fan and the waterpump pulley, before letting me know there was an issue.  I’ve half heartedly started to have a look, expect the head is roasted and I fear we must alas, clear the decks, forget about fixing any of these and get two reliable moderns.  We don’t have space to do that and autobreakers.com seem to be offering around £250 each.  Not ideal, but may be the quickest way to create space.

If anyone is interested in quickly towing these away from me, has the cash to throw at a project and is close enough (I’m about 10 mins away from Glasgow Airport), get in touch.

Oh, and why is my quiet contentment in having a pile of cars that I may or may not get around to improving been destroyed?  My wifes, albeit 14 year old, “new” E Class, bought from a prestigious Scottish Motor dealer hasn’t lasted two weeks before having a complete meltdown with its fancy SBC brake system.  Surprisingly, their Services don’t extend to fixing or when that didn’t happen, refunding formally rejected retail cars.  It’s heading for court.

Please form an orderly queue.

• 2 weeks later...

As my online sourced "autobreaker" has failed to turn up and I can't rouse him at all, anyone want these?

Black BMW523iSE Auto W449UDS.  Needs a fan belt thrown on to see if it needs more than that and a new thermostat housing to make it better.  (It will need a strut, handbrake and usual MOT attention parts in the coming months if you do strike lucky).  Currently MOT'd and taxed, but wouldn't think of driving until the waterworks are sorted, so a trailer away jobby.

Silver BMW 520i (although I thought it was an SE too) Auto.  W358HSO.  Needs a control arm, but MOT tester also thinks it needs brakes all round.  No MOT or tax so shouldn't be driven anywhere.

Red Jaguar S Type 3.0 Auto.  SV53PYF.   Came off the road about 4 years ago for minor fettling, genuinely, but as it has sat untouched for much of that time, even an Autoshiter would only use it as a spares car.

Is £250 each, really too much for these?

• 2 weeks later...