Models of cars I really liked that were never replaced.

ProgRocker

I was having a think recently about the models that went out of production in the last 15/20 years, of which I was disappointed were never replaced. In the UK market at least. Here are some of my favourites...

1. Honda Prelude: 2 door coupé as cool as fk and appeals to all ages of drivers.

2. Audi A2: Aluminium body panels, slippery aerodynamics in a mini-MPV package. I thought Audi were on to a sure winner here.

3. Hyundai Coupé: The Genesis Coupé replaced it in other markets but sadly not sold in the UK

4. Ford Scorpio: Seemingly not replaced as the Germans were dominating the executive car market

5. Mitsubishi Galant: Drop dead sexy styling but woefully unappreciated. Probably no longer sold here for the same reason as above.

6. Nissan 200 SX: Don't know why...would have thought that RWD would have been a hit. Have British buyers fallen out of love with coupés like the Prelude and Hyundai Coupé?

7. Mazda MX-6: Less than a headache to own than an RX-7 I would have thought.

8. Mazda MX-3: Interesting small V6 engine too wierd for some?

9. Fiat Marea: Fiat are more revered for their small cars. Perhaps never properly replaced as saloons have fallen out of favour in the UK. The 'Weekend' estate lives on as the new Tipo wagon.

10. Volvo C30: More hatchback than coupé but very pretty so I really don't understand why this was never replaced.

Capri, the abortions that were the probe and Cougar were too shite to even contemplate as replacements.

MGB GT

I disagree.

As a Probe owner the biggest issue is that fucking Ford badge. Forget the badge and treat it as any other Jap car and it's a perfectly capable and decent car. I've used mine daily for the last few weeks and they aren't a bad motor at all.

Consider it outside of being a Capri replacement they are a decent car. The Cougar is a pile of shit however.

I disagree.

As a Probe owner the biggest issue is that fucking Ford badge. Forget the badge and treat it as any other Jap car and it's a perfectly capable and decent car. I've used mine daily for the last few weeks and they aren't a bad motor at all.

Consider it outside of being a Capri replacement they are a decent car. The Cougar is a pile of shit however.

I had the displeasure of helping a mate with working on one on many occasions, Comparing it to the likes of Celicas make it look even worse to me. But on the plus side, their lack of popularity means they are stupidly cheap when they do come up for sale.

I had the displeasure of helping a mate with working on one on many occasions, Comparing it to the likes of Celicas make it look even worse to me. But on the plus side, their lack of popularity means they are stupidly cheap when they do come up for sale.

I've never had to work on mine ...yet ...but yes the engine bay is tight.

In comparison though my Prelude (4th gen 2.0 auto) which is 5 years older than the Probe (2.5 24v manual) is a much nicer car to drive than the Probe and very easy to work on.

post-19231-0-41174800-1534883575_thumb.jpeg

I've never had to work on mine ...yet ...but yes the engine bay is tight.

In comparison though my Prelude (4th gen 2.0 auto) which is 5 years older than the Probe (2.5 24v manual) is a much nicer car to drive than the Probe and very easy to work on.

Fingers crossed it remains reliable, it was tight but the main issue was that it just seemed badly designed. Jobs that looked like a morning always seemed to take a day as there would be a couple of inaccessible bolts. Parts were also a problem, but that’s not the cars fault. It also seemed very cheap inside, built to a price I guess. He got it from about three years old and kept it for a good few years. I can’t remember what killed it in the end but it was either we couldn’t get the parts or couldn’t be arsed to do it. Yours does look good in black though.

vauxhall calibra 

then a few years later.....

vauxhall vx220.

and finally

vauxhall omega

in all 3 cases i suspect the badges on the back had lots to do with their demise. and the fact that big cars like the omega are now as popular as diptheria or polio.....

a shame as ther were to me, the only properly "asperational" models that GM-europe had come up with in many years.

Capri, the abortions that were the probe and Cougar were too shite to even contemplate as replacements.

The Cougar was not a sports car - It was a tourer. It was designed to be filled with fuel and luggage then bugger off to the south of France for a weekend. The Capri was somewhere between sports and touring. I have no idea what the Probe was supposed to be.

For me:

Triumph 2000/2500 mk2

'Replaced' by the Rover SD1 in some BL rationalisation plan so I believe.

The Cougar was not a sports car - It was a tourer. It was designed to be filled with fuel and luggage then bugger off to the south of France for a weekend. The Capri was somewhere between sports and touring. I have no idea what the Probe was supposed to be.

'Replaced' by the Rover SD1 in some BL rationalisation plan so I believe.

Agree on the Cougar, but that isn’t how it was marketed, somewhat laughable but not the first time that has applied to marketing.

I agree with Volvo C30 in OP and would consider getting one if I saw a nice low mileage T5 in black for sale.

My current car is a Citroen C4 VTS (that's the Coupe 3 door shape with warm hatch spec). Citroen didn't cash in on the WRC success of this car with Sebastien Loeb driving (OK did the Loeb Ltd edition, but just a trim level not hot hatch) and never replaced it when the new C4 came out. Some said that the DS4 was meant to do the job, but just too ordinary and SUV like to be a proper replacement.

My C4 VTS

post-19512-0-37032600-1534884559_thumb.jpg

Sebastien Loeb's C4 VTS

post-19512-0-33517200-1534884952_thumb.jpg

The first post is a good list. I’d add:

Saab Sonnet

Volvo 480

Opel Monza - and the big hatchback coupe / shooting brake as a genre

Alfa Romeo Brera / GTV / Spider / Sud Sprint / GT Junior - what no Alfa coupe? A dog ugly SUV instead? Get in the sea

Lamborghini LM003 - now THERE’S a fucking school run 4x4 for you

The first post is a good list. I’d add:

Saab Sonnet

Volvo 480

Opel Monza - and the big hatchback coupe / shooting brake as a genre

Alfa Romeo Brera / GTV / Spider / Sud Sprint / GT Junior - what no Alfa coupe? A dog ugly SUV instead? Get in the sea

Lamborghini LM003 - now THERE’S a fucking school run 4x4 for you

Nice list (especially Alfasud), but In my opinion the C30 is a replacement for the 480.

Why oh why don't they make 3 door estates anymore?  Stick your "Mario Bros Plumbers" signs in the big side windows during the week.  Then quickly convert back to a car for that hot date or to sign on.

VEH1364.jpgaustin-allegro-estate_3674_1.jpg

P.S. the Audi A2 is alive and well:

206353617-w988-h760.jpg