Clio saved. A happy ending

D Spares & Tyres

• 3 weeks later...

So, the drivers side caliper was sticking and one pad was worn right down. The discs were pretty worn too!

I removed the piston from the caliper and cleaned all the gunk off it before refitting with a new seal. Also stripped and greased the sliders. Had to do the same on the passenger side too as one slider was seized there as well! I managed to break the pad retaining plate with my ham-fistedness so blobbed some pigeons shit on to repair it. 

The disc retaining screws didn’t want to know! I tried everything short of drilling them out (heat, intact driver, breaker bar) and nothing would shift them. This was compounded by them being a stupid torx head and our torx bit was twisting! I eventually went to the garage next to work and asked their advice. They lent me a very powerful Milwaukee cordless impact gun and a decent quality torx bit. That got them shifted!

Of course I forgot to take any pictures once it was all back together, but just imagine it with shiny new discs and pads. 

The car then decided to thank me by getting difficult to start in the mornings. I always managed to get it going with lots of cranking until about two weeks ago when I left the house early to drive to Sheffield to collect a job lot of Vauxhall parts I’d won on eBay. It didn’t want to know. I took a plug out to check for a spark, there was a fat spark then with three plugs in it tried to catch, so I chucked the plug back in and after a lot more churning and pumping the accelerator it spluttered into life. I knew it would be ok for the rest of the day after the initial start, but taking the plug out had confirmed that the plugs weren’t all burnt like I’d expected, it all looked ok. I have bought new plugs and leads so will chuck them on at some point. 

The petrol station shot was somewhere near Cambs on route to Sheffield. I met up with a mate in Sheffield while up there, he had a go in the Clio and liked it apart from the vague steering which he commented on! It is pretty bad by modern standards but I think I can change the drivers side tie rod rather than the whole rack.

Friday, I tried to start it to go to work and it just didn’t want to know. I took my Austin A35 to work and stopped at the local garage on the way and asked if they could sort it out! Yes I know, I normally do my own repairs but I had no idea what was causing this fault, plus it’s cold...

A couple of the mechanics went down there while I was at work and managed to tow start it using their van. They kept trying it throughout the day and it always started, but when I went around there yesterday morning and they tried to start it, it didn’t want to know. The garage reckon it’s a failing crank sensor, apparently a common fault with this generation of Clio so I’ve left it with them to sort.

lastly, many thanks to the AS legend Rave who kindly donated Chloe a parcel shelf as the original had gone missing. It arrived safely and i fitted it yesterday (round at the garage). One of the plastic clips on the car is broken so I just wrapped the string around it for the moment!

85232466-A309-49F3-9C06-D790F9BE395C.jpeg

33A01EC3-E5A9-4075-A92F-EE9CBC2678E1.jpeg

98E9E178-D3BF-403E-8D6E-9B6F1422ABF1.jpeg

8C056C58-C894-43AA-9130-DC4703E88919.jpeg

D0C066EF-2E9E-4BDD-85EE-04EBB7B608B2.jpeg

F2013489-AA4F-415D-8D4A-336595F34745.jpeg

C34C2FE4-8ED2-45C2-89A7-DEF69A7E835E.jpeg

75B0AE8F-C104-46ED-8B66-8960F6045D25.jpeg

16F37148-3474-4D39-9652-2D1532D31579.jpeg

9FD8178C-FB71-4DA8-97E2-C24ACC376EA3.jpeg

The play in the steering that ours developed was caused by the rubber in the joint between the steering column and the rack UJ deteriorating. I feel bad about scrapping it because of that, but it really was worthless and surplus to requirements at the time, and it's helped this one to live on years down the line. I should really have tried epoxying some shims in there to take up the slack, which would have worked I think. Anyway worth a look on yours maybe?

4 hours ago, Rave said:

The play in the steering that ours developed was caused by the rubber in the joint between the steering column and the rack UJ deteriorating. I feel bad about scrapping it because of that, but it really was worthless and surplus to requirements at the time, and it's helped this one to live on years down the line. I should really have tried epoxying some shims in there to take up the slack, which would have worked I think. Anyway worth a look on yours maybe?

Shit, that sounds almost as involved as replacing the rack! I'm hoping it's the relatively easy tie rod that's worn out, as if you jack it up and rock the wheels from side to side, the passenger side is ok but the drivers side is really bad! It's possible said rubber joint is responsible for the awful creaking noise when you turn the wheel more than 90 degrees

Either way, it needs to be sorted as it was lucky to scrape through the MoT this year and I would like to sell/roffle it at some point with half a chance of it being able to survive in someone else's hands!

The connection in question is by the pedals, very easy to look at. As I remember the steering column sort of squares off and pokes into the top of the UJ. But there's a rubber bushing in there that wears out. You'll see what I mean by shimming it once you see it.

I've heard of people welding it solid, but that's a bad idea and an MOT fail as I understand it.

Edit: obviously it wouldn't affect one side more than the other so do the tie rod first, just thought I'd mention it!

• 1 month later...

Oh bother, at least my repair outlived its warranty period!  It arrived from Tom missing the same lens (see page 2), and Rave kindly sent me a replaceement.  I seem to remember he said he also had a complete headlight unit, but I went for just the lens as that's all it needed and was cheaper to post.  Apologies for the apparently dodgy repair ?

@BeEP in fairness the the repair has lasted 15,000 miles and 14 months, so not bad really!

I did find the remains of the lens but in about 50 pieces :(

I'm going to phone the Renbreakers in Ipswich this morning and see if they've got a headlight, if they have I can shoot over and fetch it on Saturday. There are some on ebay but the cheapest is £20 with snail mail postage. 

While I was out in the pissing rain bodging some cellophane and gaffa tape over the light as a temp repair, I noticed the plastic weld on the broken front bumper has failed and so ideally I need a replacement bumper. Can't imagine a base model bumper will be too easy to find and looking online it seems it needs to come off to replace the headlight.

5 minutes ago, Angrydicky said:

@BeEP in fairness the the repair has lasted 15,000 miles and 14 months, so not bad really!

I did find the remains of the lens but in about 50 pieces :(

I'm going to phone the Renbreakers in Ipswich this morning and see if they've got a headlight, if they have I can shoot over and fetch it on Saturday. There are some on ebay but the cheapest is £20 with snail mail postage. 

While I was out in the pissing rain bodging some cellophane and gaffa tape over the light as a temp repair, I noticed the plastic weld on the broken front bumper has failed and so ideally I need a replacement bumper. Can't imagine a base model bumper will be too easy to find and looking online it seems it needs to come off to replace the headlight.

It doesn’t. Grill needs to come away on the side you’re doing but the bumper doesn’t. 

edit - just looked at the photo - it has a different bumper to mine so I’m wrong!

6 hours ago, RobT said:

Keep it like that all winter, I dare you!

It might yet come to that due to a combination of the cold, can’t-be-arsed-ness and having more interesting cars to play with!

I really didn’t think I could do anything to make this car look more fucked than it already does, short of replacing the attempted theft-damaged drivers door with one the wrong colour...

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, Kowalski said:

What a great thread, hopefully this car will live on. It's at that stage where it's pretty worthless, it just needs to hang on a couple of years until it's made it into classicdom!

I’d agree with that. I’ve never seen another Mk1 coming the other way when I’ve been driving this which shows how rare they are. It’s at the age where the scrappage scheme would have hoovered up a lot of them and the remaining ones have mostly died through neglect (apart from the OMG Williams furywank)

So, in case anyone is still interested... 

I now own this car, and having driven it for a couple of days, I have decided (in spite of it being uncomfortable, creaky and a bit crap) that I like it, it has loads of character and deserves as much as any car to live on as long as I can manage. 

So far, apart from use it, I have thrown a temporary interior light in (from my AX), and sorted the history file into my sort of standard. 

IMG_20200302_164225.thumb.jpg.c726688f54004b518e677526d146e3e0.jpg

IMG_20200303_065019.thumb.jpg.342b35495f276f4aff83633ccf878055.jpg

IMG_20200302_194247.thumb.jpg.88e43d9a504d75a22e0d3cdcbfd0c0d3.jpg

IMG_20200303_073700.thumb.jpg.d0a63b6171b1552f8307097509397694.jpg

• 3 weeks later...